APRS Digipeater, TNC Recommendations Please

Leith Cullen

Any recommenadions for getting a TNC for a Pi runnning direwolf?  Nothing fancy please.  Needs to be cheap and works.  Someone recomended mobilinkd, but would that work for a Digipeater?

Leith - ZL1LAC

Dana KN4BEV

Leith, All that you need to run a digipeater using Direwolf is an audio interface. Many people use inexpensive usb devices from amazon but anything that works under ALSA will work.

You will need to wire up the audio input and output along with a PTT line. You can follow the Direwolf manual for this.
You can save some time by using the TNC Pi Hat: http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm

Direwolf is a software TNC, so no need for external TNC.

Very Best
Dana KN4BEV

--
KN4BEV

Leith Cullen

That's my current setup, but I feel the audio interface isn't working very well.  Packets broadcasted work but the radio stays Rxing after a few seconds.

Don Gibbs KK4QAM

Direwolf is a tnc software. I will do everything you need for a digipeater by itself. I don't have access to my. Onfig file right now but have had an aprs digipeater running with direwolf and an easydigi sound card interface with no other equipment other than the radio. It seems as if I had to adjust the filters to allow what I wanted to come through. Can't remember. Read in the direwolf docs about filtering. It may help.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 8:03 AM <leithacullen@... wrote:
Any recommenadions for getting a TNC for a Pi runnning direwolf?  Nothing fancy please.  Needs to be cheap and works.  Someone recomended mobilinkd, but would that work for a Digipeater?

Leith - ZL1LAC

Leith Cullen

Ah okay, cool.  But any recommendations for hardware TNC support?

km4ack

I run a digipeater in my mobile to support my HT when I am in the woods hunting. I can run the HT on 1 watt and the Jeep radio digipeats it. I run this setup with a raspberry pi with direwolf, signalink, and an 857d radio. Works really well and was cheap for me since I had all of the hardware already laying around.

73,
Jason
KM4ACK
Find Me on Youtube

David Ranch <dranch@...>

It's been mentioned in this thread multiple times that Direwolf *is* the TNC.  All you need is a soundcard to connect to your radio and you're ready.  If you *want* to use a hardware TNC instead, you have two paths to consider:

   - Since you're sending this question to a Raspberry Pi specific list, consider the inexpensive KISS-only format TNC-Pi from Coastal Chipworks.  Don't bother with the TNC-Pi9k6 and just look at the default one if you're only looking to do APRS.

   - If you want a physical / external TNC, there is the KISS-only Coastal Chipworks TNC-X which is a simple and expensive KISS-only TNC.   If you want a more feature packed external TNC with better decoding performance and full command-mode support, consider a Kantronics KPC3+.  The Timewave PK96 external TNC is a close second.

Not to overlook that Direwolf can do multiple baud rates, has bit level error correction, and generally performs better than traditional hardware TNCs.

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 10:03 David Ranch <dranch@... wrote:
It's been mentioned in this thread multiple times that Direwolf *is* the TNC.  All you need is a soundcard to connect to your radio and you're ready.  If you *want* to use a hardware TNC instead, you have two paths to consider:

   - Since you're sending this question to a Raspberry Pi specific list, consider the inexpensive KISS-only format TNC-Pi from Coastal Chipworks.  Don't bother with the TNC-Pi9k6 and just look at the default one if you're only looking to do APRS.

   - If you want a physical / external TNC, there is the KISS-only Coastal Chipworks TNC-X which is a simple and expensive KISS-only TNC.   If you want a more feature packed external TNC with better decoding performance and full command-mode support, consider a Kantronics KPC3+.  The Timewave PK96 external TNC is a close second.

Max

Did Kantronics ever fix the KPC3+ firmware as it had problems in kiss mode delaying packets.

Max KG4PID

On Sunday, November 25, 2018, 12:03:45 PM CST, David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

It's been mentioned in this thread multiple times that Direwolf *is* the TNC.  All you need is a soundcard to connect to your radio and you're ready.  If you *want* to use a hardware TNC instead, you have two paths to consider:

   - Since you're sending this question to a Raspberry Pi specific list, consider the inexpensive KISS-only format TNC-Pi from Coastal Chipworks.  Don't bother with the TNC-Pi9k6 and just look at the default one if you're only looking to do APRS.

   - If you want a physical / external TNC, there is the KISS-only Coastal Chipworks TNC-X which is a simple and expensive KISS-only TNC.   If you want a more feature packed external TNC with better decoding performance and full command-mode support, consider a Kantronics KPC3+.  The Timewave PK96 external TNC is a close second.

Keith Kaiser

I would go with Direwolf running on a Raspberry PI. At the very least check it out, mine has been running non-stop for at least 3 years now.

As others have mentioned, "Dire Wolf" is a replacement for the traditional specialized hardware TNC.

Does this overview help to clarify how it all fits together?

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf-presentation

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 12:56 WB2OSZ <wb2osz@... wrote:
As others have mentioned, "Dire Wolf" is a replacement for the traditional specialized hardware TNC.

Does this overview help to clarify how it all fits together?

https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf-presentation

Leith Cullen

Great thank you all for this infomation.
--
Leith - ZL1LAC

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hey Max,

As I understand it s a bit of a misnomer as it has to deal with RS232 flow control.  Read about an effective workaround in the comments in this post:

   http://blog.aprs.fi/2011/03/kantronics-kpc3-considered-harmful.html

Did Kantronics ever fix the KPC3+ firmware as it had problems in kiss mode delaying packets.

Max KG4PID

al_91dak@...

Another vote for DireWolf. Not only is it cheaper and simpler than a hardware TNC, but it performs better as well. I have been using it on my mountaintop digi/igate for years with zero problems.

Folkert van Heusden <mail@...>

But will direwolf allow communication with the operating system?
What I mean is; can it produce a network interface like e.g. the tnc-pi? (via kissattach)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM <al_91dak@...> wrote:
Another vote for DireWolf. Not only is it cheaper and simpler than a hardware TNC, but it performs better as well. I have been using it on my mountaintop digi/igate for years with zero problems.

Detrick Merz <detrick@...>

Can it be used as a network accessible TNC? YES!

I've successfully set up a Pi running Direwolf, had the Pi acting like an access point, then had aprsdroid running on a phone or tablet connect to the Pi wifi network and use Direwolf as a tnc. The Pi/Direwolf can even be set up to do things like sending out its own position reports (with data from a USB connected GPSr dongle) independently of what aprsdroid might send over the IP-based KISS connection. The GPS data can also be used as a time reference and the Pi set as an NTP server when portable.

-detrick
K4IZ

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018, 11:49 Folkert van Heusden <mail@... wrote:
But will direwolf allow communication with the operating system?
What I mean is; can it produce a network interface like e.g. the tnc-pi? (via kissattach)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM <al_91dak@...> wrote:
Another vote for DireWolf. Not only is it cheaper and simpler than a hardware TNC, but it performs better as well. I have been using it on my mountaintop digi/igate for years with zero problems.

--

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Yes.. it can.  Here is a set of example scripts that support Direwolf, the TNC-Pi, and even Bluetooth TNC access via a Kenwood TH-D74:

   #Setup - stage #1
   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/etc/ax25/ax25-up.new

   #Setup stage #2
   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/etc/ax25/ax25-up.new2

   #Shutdown
   http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/etc/ax25/ax25-down

On 11/26/2018 08:31 AM, Folkert van Heusden wrote:
But will direwolf allow communication with the operating system?
What I mean is; can it produce a network interface like e.g. the tnc-pi? (via kissattach)

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 5:18 PM <al_91dak@...> wrote:
Another vote for DireWolf. Not only is it cheaper and simpler than a hardware TNC, but it performs better as well. I have been using it on my mountaintop digi/igate for years with zero problems.

There are a series of postings at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/home that may be of interest to you -- including https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-and-Direwolf-Packet-Modem  (which also applies to the DRAWS board).

The DRAWS board can provide 2 mini-din6 connections to radios and has a built-in GPS (including PPS) for location and time.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 9:39 AM David Ranch <dranch@...> wrote:

[...]

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Brian Webster

Be careful what radio you use. The cheap Chinese radios have horrible TX and receive recovery time. Works ok for APRS where you are not expecting a RX ack packet but on connected packet systems they just don’t work unless the other stations transmitting have a long TX delay time set up. You don’t want a network set up like that because it really slows down the throughput. Try your existing setup with a radio that has a known good TX/rx turnaround time. Plenty of the older solid state rigs work fine. You may find them around where they can’t do PL tones and they are collecting dust on a shelf. Packet doesn’t use PL tones.

Thank You,

Brian N2KGC