Topics

Running JNOS BBS on Raspberry Pi and TNC-PI

Ron Short <ron@...>

Edited

Greetings,

Has anyone successfully installed and run JNOS BBS on the Raspberry PI 3B with the TNC-PI? If so, please direct me to any links and or setup help you can share. I am also Linux stupid... :)

73

Ron - KK7GO

Daniel Holmes

I’m interested in this one too. I ran a JNOS BBS out of my dorm room in college a billion years ago. Had a J-Pole duct taped to my window on the 7th floor of the building. Worked really well, it was the only BBS in the area. It’d dialup the local VAX and forward on email.

Thanks,
Dan

--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:37 AM, Ron Short <ron@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Needed to add my lack of Linux use.]

Greetings,

Has anyone successfully installed and run JNOS BBS on the Raspberry PI 3B with the TNC-PI? If so, please direct me to any links and or setup help you can share. I am also Linux stupid... :)

73

Ron - KK7GO

Roderick Wayne Hart Sr.

I am also interested.

Rod Hart
wa3mez

Daniel Holmes

So just as a test, I grabbed the latest code I could find, edited the config.h to some sane settings, and hit ‘make’…seems to have compiled fine. Lots of warnings, but nothing major. I’ll play some more later this weekend.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Sep 21, 2018, at 11:33 AM, Roderick Wayne Hart Sr. <rod.hart@...> wrote:

I am also interested.

Rod Hart
wa3mez

Bob Bennett

Dan,
   I just want to thank you for sharing your efforts with the community. I am sure many others are following your efforts and are anxious to try JNOS on their Raspberrypi TNCs

bob nz2z

Ron Short <ron@...>

Hi Dan,

I was not able to even get that far. Is there a step-by-step sheet I could try that you know of?

73

Ron
KK7GO

So just as a test, I grabbed the latest code I could find, edited the config.h to some sane settings, and hit ‘make’…seems to have compiled fine. Lots of warnings, but nothing major. I’ll play some more later this weekend.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Sep 21, 2018, at 11:33 AM, Roderick Wayne Hart Sr. <rod.hart@...> wrote:

I am also interested.

Rod Hart
wa3mez

Daniel Holmes

Sorry just getting back to this, got distracted by life.

Found some basic instructions at this website (this is for JNOS 2.0): http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/downloads/linux/
I then copied config.h.default to a new config.h. I’d be happy to share mine if anyone’s interested, but it was pretty self explanatory.
Then I compiled it, there were a few missing libraries that it complained about, but was able to add them (Sorry I forgot to write them down, but it was something minor to do with ax25 on Linux).
Then executed JNOS, was able to attach to my Pi-TNC using KISS mode. I didn’t transmit any packets on RF, since I’m still waiting on my AMPRNet address, but I did a few tests without my radio hooked up, and I did see lights flash. I didn’t try monitoring any AX.25 frequencies, but plan to in the next week or so—I’m in the process of also getting my HF digital station up and running, and my play time is pretty limited.

Any questions, I’ll try and answer them, but it was really pretty easy to do. I’m not sure how much JNOS is still in active development, I may ask the author (at the link above) if he minds if I put the code up in Bitbucket.

Thanks,
Dan