Linbpq

Brian Clark

I am using a TNC Pi and would like to use Linbpq.

My AXPORTS file looks like this:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

# The format of this file is:

#

# name callsign speed paclen window description

#

1 KF6FES-1 19200 236 TNC 1 (19200 bps)

2 KF6FES-2 19200 236 TNC 2 (19200 bps)

(It appears that the # symbol is an un-remming command for a line in the file, and if that is the case, should I rem the 2nd TNC since I only have one TNC?)

I saw this in a posting and wondering if I need these lines in my AXPORTS file and if so, what does the 16, 17 indicate? Are those hex address designations?

./i2ckiss 1 16 1 10.0.0.1 and

./i2ckiss 1 17 2 10.0.0.2

When I run ./linbpq&, this is what appears:

G8BPQ AX25 Packet Switch System Version 6.0.7.14 May 2014
Copyright © 2001-2014 John Wiseman G8BPQ
Current Directory is /home/pi/linbpq

Configuration file Preprocessor.
Using Configuration file /home/pi/linbpq/bpq32.cfg
Conversion (probably) successful

PORTS 1619ac LINKS 16264f DESTS 16540f ROUTES 16b3c3 L4 16c903
BUFFERS 172704

Com Open Failed: No such file or directory

Initialising Port 01 ASYNC /dev/tty01 Chan A /dev/tty01 could not be opened
slave device: /dev/pts/1. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com10 created
slave device: /dev/pts/2. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com11 created
TNC Emulator Init Complete

But according to documentation that I have, it should look like this:

G8BPQ AX25 Packet Switch System Version 6.0.7.14 May 2014
Copyright © 2001-2014 John Wiseman G8BPQ
Current Directory is /home/pi/linbpq

Configuration file Preprocessor.
Using Configuration file /home/pi/linbpq/bpq32.cfg
Conversion (probably) successful

PORTS 1619ac LINKS 16264f DESTS 16540f ROUTES 16b3c3 L4 16c903
BUFFERS 172704

Initialising Port 01 ASYNC /dev/ttyAMA0 Chan A
slave device: /dev/pts/3. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com10 created
slave device: /dev/pts/4. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com11 created
TNC Emulator Init Complete

Is it because Linbpq is looking for a file called /dev/ttyAMA0 as opposed to /dev/tty01?

Also mincom won't open, and I think I need to use the command chmod 777 minicom

73's

Brian

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello Brian,

I am using a TNC Pi and would like to use Linbpq.

Ok though you're looking to use the TNC-Pi with the Linux AX.25 stack and not the AX.25 stack built into BPQ32?  The former approach is more powerful if you want to interconnect your system to say the AMPR Internet system, other Linux programs, etc. but the configuration is more complicated.  The later is simpler but generally will only service things within the BPQ32 program.

My AXPORTS file looks like this:

Your copy/paste might be adding empty lines in your file.  Make sure there are NOT any empty lines in there.

1 KF6FES-1 19200 236 TNC 1 (19200 bps)
2 KF6FES-2 19200 236 TNC 2 (19200 bps) (It appears that the # symbol is an un-remming command for a line in the file, and if that is the case, should I rem the 2nd TNC since I only have one TNC?)
Few things here: 1. Yes, # characters mean "remark", "comment" or ignore this line.  I would argue that if you don't need the line, delete it instead 2. First, I would recommend to make these AX.25 names intuitive.  For example, let's say your radio and TNC are going to operate on 145.050Mhz.  If so, I would recommend to name your AX25 port "vhf050" or something like that.  Yes, a single digit will work but I've seen where it badly confuses new users later. 3. After the MTU of 236 (which is needed if you want to support NETROM connections), you're missing a AX25 window paramter.  I generally recommend a window of 2 to 4.  It depends on how well other stations can clearly hear your station.  If you have a very high level, powerful system, start with a value of 4 So it would look like: vhf050 KF6FES-1 19200 236 4 TNC1 (19200 bps)
I saw this in a posting and wondering if I need these lines in my AXPORTS file and if so, what does the 16, 17 indicate? Are those hex address designations?
./i2ckiss 1 16 1 10.0.0.1 and ./i2ckiss 1 17 2 10.0.0.2
You do NOT put these lines in the /etc/ax25/axports file.  Those lines are only to do the final interconnect between the TNC-PI running in I2C mode and the built-in LInux AXstack (not BPQ32's stack).  Stepping back, there are two ways to use a TNC-Pi:  Serial port or I2C.  The serial port approach is simpler but has some caveats:   - Only one TNC-Pi can run on your Raspberry Pi   - On newer Raspberry Pis, you need to swap over the serial port from the Bluetooth system to the serial port system   - You need to disable serial console services on the serial port Using I2C:   - Multiple TNC-Pis can run on the same Raspberry Pi (stacked)   - Requires you to enable the I2C system (easy) If you go the I2C route, I do recommend to get the newest versions of these programs and not the links posted on the Coastal Chipworks PDF file as those files usually seem to be a bit old.  Instead, get the newest code from the author (also the author of BPQ32 btw):       wget http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/PITNCParamsApr18.zip       wget http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Downloads/i2ckiss.zip One major benefit of the "cantab" link is that it includes the source code for the program.  In that i2ckiss.c file is lots of comments of how to use the program since no manual, readme, etc are provided otherwise. Anyway, the usage of that i2ckiss command is:    "i2ckiss [-p interval] [-d] [-l] [-v] i2cbus i2cdevice [[-m mtu] port inetaddr]\n" You didn't mention which version of the TNC-Pi you have (it matters) but I'll assume your have v2 and thus the command you'd want to use is:    #I2C Bus number: 1    #I2C device number: 16  (that's the TNC pi)    #ax25 interface: recommending to use the more human readable name mentioned above    #axip IP address:  optionally used AXIP address used - must be an address NOT used by your computer (no conflicts)    i2ckiss 1 16 vhf050 10.0.0.2 That command is the equivelent to the linux command "kissattach".  At this point, the TNC should be working with the Linux AX.25 stack. I have a bunch of these steps for either TNC-Pi approach documented here.  In sections farther up (mostly intended for the Direwolf approach, I include command you can run as tests to confirm your setup is working:    http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/rpi2-setup.html#90a.bringing-up-tncpi
When I run ./linbpq&, this is what appears:
. . .
Initialising Port 01 ASYNC /dev/tty01 Chan A /dev/tty01 could not be opened
That's not what I would expect.  /dev/tty01 is a system TTY.
Initialising Port 01 ASYNC /dev/ttyAMA0 Chan A
slave device: /dev/pts/3. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com10 created
slave device: /dev/pts/4. symlink to /home/pi/linbpq/com11 created
TNC Emulator Init Complete
This is what you'd see if you were using the serial port approach with the "symlink" approach for generic Linux programs that natively communicate to KISS-based TNCs.  This is NOT what you want as you want to configure BPQ32 to use your "vhf050" port.
Is it because Linbpq is looking for a file called /dev/ttyAMA0 as opposed to /dev/tty01?
No.. it's because you currently have BPQ32 not configure to use the Linux AX.25 stack
Also mincom won't open, and I think I need to use the command chmod 777 minicom
KISS-only TNCs don't offer any command line interfaces like what a Kantronics, Timewave, MJF, PacComm, etc. TNCs offer.  As such, minicom won't show anything.  You MUST either use the Linux program kissattach for TNC-PI's running in "serial port" mode or i2ckiss when running in I2C mode. --David KI6ZHD

Jim WB9QPM

Hi Brian,

from the command line...ps -aux

look for a kissattach process and kill it

launch bpq from the bpq directory. sudo ./pilinbpq

The Willem script will build a config file http://www.prinmath.com/ham/rPiHowto.htm

BPQ has ax25 builtin. You don't need or want ax25-tools to run BPQ

Jim

John G8BPQ

Brian,

LinBPQ has its own ax.25 stack, and normally you wouldn't use it with Linux Kernel ax.25. So you should remove your axports file, not run either i2ckiss or kissattach, and configure linbpq to access the TNC_Pi directly. In the BPQ config KISS port definition put either comport=/dev/ttyAMA0 or comport=/dev/serial0, depending on the model of the Pi and the way you have configured its serial ports.

What error do you get when you try to run minicom? It may need chmod +x or it may be the configuration isn't correct.

73, John G88BPQ

On 30/08/2018 06:48, Brian Clark wrote:
[...]

Thank you John!

I will try these changes.

You recommend that I completely remove remove the axports file, so I won’t need that for any other config correct?

My goal is to be able to use the TNC to connect to BBS’s and use as a digipeater.

I found this tutorial to reach the ISS and trying to configure to work as described in the write up:

Thanks,

Brian