RPi Cases

Jim Higgins

Walmart is selling back to school crayon cases, with latching lids, that are the perfect size to hold an RPi. Clear, orange, blue, yellow cases. The lids are all clear.

$0.55 each.

Jim H

Roy Crosier <valvetimer@...>

They are on clearance here in SE St. Louis Walmarts for $1, marked
down from $2.49, but still a bargain. My nearest store still has hundreds
of them.

Roy
AC9DN

Jim Higgins

They stack really nicely with covers on and I just noticed that they stack very nicely with covers off.

So you could easily cut most of the bottom out of one and stack it onto another with hot melt or even use long screws in the corners to fasten them together and have a case that would hold an RPi plus several add-on boards.

Jim H

Received from Roy Crosier at 8/27/2018 01:20 PM UTC:

They are on clearance here in SE St. Louis Walmarts for $1, marked down from $2.49, but still a bargain. My nearest store still has hundreds of them.

Roy
AC9DN

Remember thermals.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 9:09 AM Jim Higgins <HigginsJ@...> wrote:

They stack really nicely with covers on and I just noticed that they stack
very nicely with covers off.

So you could easily cut most of the bottom out of one and stack it onto
another with hot melt or even use long screws in the corners to fasten them
together and have a case that would hold an RPi plus several add-on boards.

Jim H

Received from Roy Crosier at 8/27/2018 01:20 PM UTC:

>They are on clearance here in SE St. Louis Walmarts for $1, marked down from
>$2.49, but still a bargain. My nearest store still has hundreds of them.
>
>Roy
>AC9DN

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Al Massaro KF5SMH

Somebody have an item SKU?  Our Back to School stuff is back on the shelf.
KF5SMH

Jim Higgins

It will be far easier to find them by their appearance as a small low priced plastic box than by looking at the product code, but the UPC is 91141 38200. "Item #38200 Super Stacker, Crayon Box." They're on the end cap at my local Super Walmart. Might be the same at yours.

Jim H

Received from Al Massaro at 8/27/2018 06:56 PM UTC:

Somebody have an item SKU? Our Back to School stuff is back on the shelf.
KF5SMH

Larry Macionski

Can they hold the raspberry pi with a shield / daughter board?
I bought a Bud plastic box that holds a RPi and my TNC-pi Packet shield. Had them for 2-3 years. Red plastic.

I still would prefer a metal enclosure. They abound on the internet but none that I have seen are "double Depth" that would allow a "second story"

I did last year buy a  dozen or so of these pencil boxes, which I use. See the picture.  I have a Brother QL-700 label maker on my PC that is invaluable for jogging the memory.
I also use the "plastic shoe boxes" labeled the same.. Then there is my inventory spreadsheet... So when I need to find a 1K ohm resistor or 2N2222,  I search the spread sheet first...

My spread sheet lists the item, quantity, the box it is in  (Pencil Box X, Shoe Box X, Beer case X) and the location of the box. (Attic, hall closet, workshop)   I also have these plastic AMMO boxes -because of weight.. Mostly for AMMO though but I have 1-2 with wall warts and transformers.

So either I'm OCD or anal... but my kids will be able to provide an inventory of each box they sell at my  Estate sale for 25 cents a box..

Laugh if you want but I no longer spend hours looking for that 2N3904 that's somewhere in a box. I saw it last month.

My spread sheet is over 1800 lines long. Can you remember where 1800 items are in your house?

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Crayon Cases.  Bought 14 for parts storage and Pi projects.  May go back around Payday and get 50 to resell at Hamfests.  See pic.  This is in East TN.  SKU on the clear one is 091141382001  item 38200

I would put these up against Altoids Tins for strength and ease of machining.
image.png