TNC PI 9k6 RX problem at 9600


César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

Hello to everyone.

I'm very happy with my TNC-PI 9k6 at 1200bps, it is a real good TNC, very impressive of it performance.

I have experience a problem at 9600bps. My set up is :

- TNC-PI 9K6
- Raspberry Pi 3B

- Yaesu FT-857D.

When I set up at 9600, I can TX a beacon and received it on my Yaesu FT1D, perfectly decoded. I adjust the TX values to 98 wich looks like very well, but I can not receive anything.

With the ./pitnc_setparams I try plenty of values for the RX, but nothing happen, even if I put it to 0, no message is decoded.

This is my set up:

pitnc_setparams Version 0.0.0.5

   PIC Software Version           8
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC  40
02 Persistance                   63
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)           20
04 TXTail                        30
05 Full Duplex - Not used         0
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff
08 Mode Speed                  9600
09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                      96
11 RX Level (Actual)              0
13 Centre Freq                 2550
8 8 28 3f 14 1e 0 ff ff 60 0 60 0 ff e2 c0 sum 0
Any one experience something similar? I repeat that the TX is perfect at 9600, and at 1200 all is working good, but my RX at 9600 is cero...

 

Best Regards!!


 

what does the RX Level (Config) register need to be set to?   0 does’t look correct. 

09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                      96
11 RX Level (Actual)              0
13 Centre Freq                 2550

07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff

The I2C address doesn’t appear to be rational either. 

is there an example of the registers from a working 9600 link? 
   Tadd


Tadd / KA2DEW
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html

“Raleigh-centric ham radio resources page": http://torborg.com/a





John
 

Those values are ok.  The setting of 0 on receive merely means that the TNC itself will automatically determine the value.  That works quite well on 9600 generally.  The I2C value simply means it hasn't been set and so the default that the TNC uses (0) will be used.  So this is set up for serial operation.  

I think the problem may be with the radio.  We did not know this when we were getting this going but it seems that those Yaesu VHF/HF/UHF radios may not handle 9600 baud very well.  This is the third report I've had that someone was having issues with one of them.  It does not seem to be an issue with all Yaesu's, because for one person switching to an FT-1500 solved the problem and for another switching to an FT-8900 (if I am remembering correctly) took care of the problem.  Further experimentation might be required to determine whether there is a work around to get this radio working properly, but in the meantime I've changed the web page for this series of radios (FT-817, FT-857, FT-890) indicating that they don't seem to handle 9600 very well.

John Hansen W2FS
Coastal ChipWorks

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 1:53 PM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:
what does the RX Level (Config) register need to be set to?   0 does’t look correct. 

09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                      96
11 RX Level (Actual)              0
13 Centre Freq                 2550

07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff

The I2C address doesn’t appear to be rational either. 

is there an example of the registers from a working 9600 link? 
   Tadd


Tadd / KA2DEW
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html

“Raleigh-centric ham radio resources page": http://torborg.com/a






César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

Thank you for the answer, I was very confussed trying to find the problem.

Also I try to change the values of the 9600Pkt gain from  the radio but no answer as well...

 

I have another yaesu radio, the FT991 but it is on the Sat at this moment, when they return to me the equipment I will test it and maybe the problem is only with the 8X7 yaesu radio.

 

Best regards!


Simon Rosenberg
 

I beleive I saw someplace that you have to overclock the  Raspberry Pi 3B from 700 to 900 and be sure that you add two heat sinks to the small and larger computer chips on the board. Avoid a closed case or provide for a fan to cool the Pi
73
Simon
KD2DOE


Max
 

The speed of a 3B should be 1200 and a 3B+ should be 1400. Unless someone is trying to reduce the power requirement there is no point in slowing down the CPU.

On Monday, August 27, 2018, 11:08:28 PM CDT, Simon Rosenberg via Groups.Io <SimonR4@...> wrote:
.
I beleive I saw someplace that you have to overclock the  Raspberry Pi 3B from 700 to 900 and be sure that you add two heat sinks to the small and larger computer chips on the board. Avoid a closed case or provide for a fan to cool the Pi
73
Simon

KD2DOE


Bill P.
 

When using raspi-config for the Pi-3 / Pi-3b+ a message responds that these models cannot be overclocked. Going into /boot/config.txt for a Pi-1 or 2 the line for overclocking is uncommented but when going into the same line for the Pi-3 the line has the speed commented out allowing the model 3 to run at its native speed.

Yes extra cooling is needed, there are $5 cooling fan and copper heat sink kits on ebay, I bought 2 of each style and installed them and also put risers under the Pi case to allow air to circulate around the bottom. I use Pi-3b+ for astro cameras which are running all night and others for WSJT-X. I am not sure how true it is but somewhere it is said the Pi will slow if it gets too hot.
Bill k6acj.


César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

Hello !

I'm continnue testing my TNC-PI 9k6!

Today I made and experiment. I reset the TNC and then I get the following values:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo ./pitnc_setparams /dev/serial0 0 15 2
pitnc_setparams Version 0.0.0.5
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo ./pitnc_getparams /dev/serial0 0
pitnc_getparams Version 0.0.0.5

Using Serial port /dev/serial0
retrying...

   TNC Software Version           8
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC  40
02 Persistance                   63
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)           20
04 TXTail                        30
05 Full Duplex - Not used         0
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff
08 Mode Speed                  9600
09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                      96
11 RX Level (Actual)              0
13 Centre Freq                 2550
8 8 28 3f 14 1e 0 ff ff 60 0 60 0 ff e2 c0 sum 0

Pay attention to the Item 11, wich is 0 because I just resset it!.

After that, I turn on Xastir and start listening. I transmit a beacon and the beacon is received perfectly in my FT1D HT, and then I transmit a beacon from the FT1D HT and check if there is any change. I get the following results:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo ./pitnc_getparams /dev/serial0 0
pitnc_getparams Version 0.0.0.5

Using Serial port /dev/serial0
retrying...

   TNC Software Version           8
01 TXDelay - Zero means use ADC  40
02 Persistance                   63
03 Slottime (in 10 mS)           20
04 TXTail                        30
05 Full Duplex - Not used         0
06 Our Channel (Hex)             ff
07 I2C Address (0 = async) Hex   ff
08 Mode Speed                  9600
09 RX Level (Config)              0
10 TX Level                      96
11 RX Level (Actual)             98
13 Centre Freq                 2550
8 8 28 3f 14 1e 0 ff ff 60 0 60 62 ff 80 c0 sum 0

So its mean that the TNC is received something and automatically adjusted the RX Level. 

Anybody knowns  any command or software under linux to continous listening the TNC? Like a sniffer?

 

Thank you !

 


César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

I autoreplay, I test with wireshark and I can see all the traffic at 1200.

At 9600 I can see the outgoing traffic but not the ingoing traffic, so by the moment I think I can not do anything else to find where is the problem


Best Regards


David Ranch <dranch@...>
 


Hell Cesar,

Anybody knowns  any command or software under linux to continous listening the TNC? Like a sniffer?

Yes, the axlisten program in the ax25apps package is a traffic monitor program.  You need to configure up the Linux AX.25 stack to use it.  There are several guides out on the Internet to get this going for the TNC-Pi units.  If you'd like, I can give you a hand as well.

--David
KI6ZHD


John G8BPQ
 

Just checking... I assume you are using the 9600 output from the radio, and if you are using the 6 pin DIN connector on the TNC you have the 1200/9600 jumper set the right way.

Do you see the DCD LED flash when the radio receives a packet?

73,
John G8BPQ

On 29/08/2018 19:23, César Regalado León wrote:

I autoreplay, I test with wireshark and I can see all the traffic at 1200.

At 9600 I can see the outgoing traffic but not the ingoing traffic, so by the moment I think I can not do anything else to find where is the problem


Best Regards



César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

Hello, sorry for the delay.

The answer is YES, I use the cable that I request together with the TNC PI , the 6 pin mini din. Also the Jumper is set in the correct position for 9600.

Also I made a cable solded to the TNC PI board, just to check if the problem is on the connector.

The DCD led flash but not only when there is a packet, it flash sometimes when there is no packets.

I read that some people have problems to transmit with this kind of equipment, but for me, the TX at 9600 is working perfect, the problem is the RX.

Thank you


 

Perhaps you can use a different audio source to prove the TNC is working?   Plug a wire from computer speaker jack into the TNC-PI RX audio input. 

See message from John G8BPQ:

On Sep 01, 2018, at 03:57 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

Tadd,
Yes, you can play recordings from the speaker jack into the TNC. I found a recording of a satellite transmission which I used when testing.

http://www.dd1us.de/sounds/Prism%202009-07-23%209600bd%20gmsk%20by%20ja0caw.mp3

 

On Sep 05, 2018, at 02:44 PM, César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...> wrote:

Hello, sorry for the delay.

The answer is YES, I use the cable that I request together with the TNC PI , the 6 pin mini din. Also the Jumper is set in the correct position for 9600.

Also I made a cable solded to the TNC PI board, just to check if the problem is on the connector.

The DCD led flash but not only when there is a packet, it flash sometimes when there is no packets.

I read that some people have problems to transmit with this kind of equipment, but for me, the TX at 9600 is working perfect, the problem is the RX.

Thank you




César Regalado León <ea8cxn@...>
 

Thank you for the sample audio.

I test it but still no results, so I supose that the problem is on the TNC instead of the Radio.

Maybe I have to reflash the firmware??

 

Best regards