Easy RPi headless configuration - enable SSH and WiFi before booting Stretch

w4oa@arrl.net

Edited

If you run your Raspberry Pi headless (no keyboard or monitor), you know what a pain it is to get it configured, now that SSH is disabled in Stretch. This especially true with the RPi Zero and Zero W, with no Ethernet port.

There has to be an easier way! With a little digging, there is an easier way.

AFTER writing your image to the SD card, your /boot partition is accessible on your Mac, Linux, or Win box. Create an empty file “ssh”, no extension (no quotes) in the /boot partition. This will enable SSH login for the first boot. On your Mac or Linux box, the command to create an empty file is “touch ssh” (no quotes).

To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file (no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

Put the SD card in your RPi, wait for it to boot, find its wireless ip or Ethernet ip address, log in via SSH, (user pi password raspberry) and then run sudo raspi-config to finish your configuration.

Mitch W4OA

- Corrected to state you create the empty ssh file and write the wifi config file AFTER you write the RPi image to the SD card.

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

I’ve been using this method for quite a while on several Pi’s.  Works great.

Arnold

KQ6DI

If you run your Raspberry Pi headless (no keyboard or monitor), you know what a pain it is to get it configured, now that SSH is disabled in Stretch. This especially true with the RPi Zero and Zero W, with no Ethernet port.

There has to be an easier way! With a little digging, there is an easier way.

Before writing your image to the SD card, your /boot partition is accessible on your Mac, Linux, or Win box. Create an empty file “ssh”, no extension (no quotes) in the /boot partition. This will enable SSH login for the first boot. On your Mac or Linux box, the command to create an empty file is “touch ssh” (no quotes).

To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file (no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

Put the SD card in your RPi, wait for it to boot, find its wireless ip or Ethernet ip address, log in via SSH, (user pi password raspberry) and then run sudo raspi-config to finish your configuration.

Mitch W4OA

Is VNC just as easy to enable?
Thanks!

[...]

AA0CB <kg5jup@...>

There is also a free program out there called "pi-bakery" I have had success with this.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 10:42 AM, w4oa@... <w4oa@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry I got click happy.,,,

[...]

Ray Wells

Just a heads up for Linux users ......

For Linux users using dd (disk duplicate) to create the image on the SD card, dd will overwrite the file ssh created with the instructions below. dd creates the partitions and writes the data in a single step process. For Linux (probably Mac too) create the SD card first, and then add a blank file ssh to the /boot partition.

For the time being, at least, the Boot partition on the newly created SD card is FAT32 and readable by Windows or Linux.

The instruction is here ... https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/18 01:42, w4oa@... wrote:
[...]

Yes, VNC can be enabled with raspi-config

Mitch W4OA

After you SSH in :)

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM, w4oa@... <w4oa@...> wrote:
Yes, VNC can be enabled with raspi-config

Mitch W4OA

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Ah.  raspi-config.  I'd forgotten about that in this GUI world.
raspi-config does this:

    systemctl enable vncserver-x11-serviced.service
    systemctl start vncserver-x11-serviced.service

I guess I can have my instructions call for SSHing and then doing those commands.
Right now the instructions say to hook up a HDMI display or TV, and a mouse and keyboard.
This is better.
Thanks!
   Tadd / KA2DEW

On Apr 05, 2018, at 08:00 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

After you SSH in :)

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM, w4oa@... <w4oa@...> wrote:
Yes, VNC can be enabled with raspi-config

Mitch W4OA

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Randy Hall <ku9cor@...>

I appreciate that it's a hobby and all that. Really, I do.

But a website that conveniently creates the wpa_supplicant.conf for you by soliciting your wifi password (PSK) and network name in a web form? The security consultant in me cringes at this.

I would not suggest that anyone ever use such a site, even if the site owner swears that they don't store or use the information in any way. You are counting on the site operator having an impeccable security practice in place, which is not something you are likely to know.

In short, don't transmit your passwords over the internet in the clear (ie. unencrypted), and especially don't transmit them to sites you don't know or trust.

Okay, back to enjoying the hobby.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018, 6:30 AM w4oa@... <w4oa@...> wrote:

To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file (no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

Detrick Merz <detrick@...>

A point of clarity: that site does not use SSL. By using it, you're transmitting pre-shared keys used for encrypting data connections in clear text across the internet. Even if the site operator has scruples and can be trusted, there is plenty of opportunity along the way for the traffic to be captured. Oh, it also appears to set your country to "japan" by default. Whatever country is set helps put bounds on what frequencies are used for wifi. The allowed frequency range changes from country to country, so Japan may not actually be appropriate for you.

-detrick
K4IZ

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Randy Hall <ku9cor@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

I hear you Randy, the way people casually share secrets just shocks me sometimes.  I've actually had a guy email me a copy of his DL and SS Card - through google!

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Randy Hall <ku9cor@...> wrote:
[...]

g4sra

A nice example

https://wigle.net/

click on the + in the right-hand pane to zoom in and see the detail,
then go secure your Wifi :)

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018, 6:30 AM w4oa@arrl.net <w4oa@arrl.net> wrote:

To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file
(no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools
WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk
website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

Fred Hillhouse

The proper use of this tool is to enter a false SSID and password and then edit it to your own.

Anyone have the form for an enterprise systems? I haven’t been able to connect to ne yet.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

[...]

That is a great map... No, I'm not on it.

Looks like the right coast blows the left coast out of the water.

May be a correlation to "GDP" type figures to be seen here.

Very interesting to see the HEAT around SW Lake Michigan.

Thanks for sharing!

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 9:18 AM, g4sra via Groups.Io <g4sra@...> wrote:
A nice example

https://wigle.net/

click on the + in the right-hand pane to zoom in and see the detail,
then go secure your Wifi :)

On 06/04/18 14:58, Steve McGrane wrote:
> I hear you Randy, the way people casually share secrets just shocks me
> sometimes.  I've actually had a guy email me a copy of his DL and SS Card -
> through google!
>

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Randy Hall <ku9cor@...> wrote:
>
>> I appreciate that it's a hobby and all that. Really, I do.
>>
>> But a website that conveniently creates the wpa_supplicant.conf for you by
>> soliciting your wifi password (PSK) and network name in a web form? The
>> security consultant in me cringes at this.
>>
>> I would not suggest that anyone ever use such a site, even if the site
>> owner swears that they don't store or use the information in any way. You
>> are counting on the site operator having an impeccable security practice in
>> place, which is not something you are likely to know.
>>
>> In short, don't transmit your passwords over the internet in the clear
>> (ie. unencrypted), and especially don't transmit them to sites you don't
>> know or trust.
>>
>> Okay, back to enjoying the hobby.
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018, 6:30 AM w4oa@... <w4oa@...> wrote:
>>
>>> To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file
>>> (no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools
>>> WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk
>>> website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello Mitch

To enable wireless access on boot, create the “wpa_supplicant.conf” file (no quotes) for your wireless network using the pistar.uk Pi-Star Tools WiFiBuilder http://www.pistar.uk/wifi_builder.php on the pistar.uk website. Copy that file to the SD card /boot partition.

I just looked at this Wifi configuration tool and it doesn't look like it's going to create useful Wifi configuration files.  I put in a simple wifi SSID name and pre-shared key (PSK) and it output:
--
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="tester-wifi"
        psk="dude"
        id_str="0"
        priority=100
}
--

There isn't any mention of:

   - configure the required "nl80211" driver for the Raspberry Pi hardware
   - the country code is wrong (well, for me at least)
   - Enable some best practices like:
      - disabling of old 802.11b support
      - enabling of 802.11n and now ac
      - turning on WPA2 security

Tony

It's easy when one uses Linux:

# fdisk -l 2018-03-13-compass.img

Disk 2018-03-13-compass.img: 4.2 GiB, 4453302272 bytes, 8697856 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xa8e4691c

Device                  Boot  Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
2018-03-13-compass.img1        8192  143359  135168   66M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
2018-03-13-compass.img2      143360 8697855 8554496  4.1G 83 Linux

# mount -o rw,offset=$((8192*512)) 2018-03-13-compass.img /mnt
# touch /mnt/ssh

We use wpa_passphrase to generate the wifi file:

# wpa_passphrase myssid mypasswd > /mnt/wpa_supplicant.conf
# umount /mnt

pv (pipeviewer) gives us a progress report, as dd works silently:

# pv 2018-03-13-compass.img | dd bs=4M of=/dev/sdb
4.15GiB 0:10:37 [6.66MiB/s] [====================================>] 100%
135+11078 records in
135+11078 records out
4453302272 bytes (4.5 GB) copied, 842.858 s, 5.3 MB/s

The card is inserted in the (headless) RPi and booted. The new IP address on the network is easily visible, since everything else is already in our /etc/hosts:

# nmap -sn 192.168.1.0/24
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.7
Host is up (0.014s latency).
MAC Address: B8:27:EB:4F:A3:08 (Raspberry Pi Foundation)

So we ssh to it, change passwords, enable permanent ssh and edit the sshd_config file to set a different port, etc:

$ ssh -l pi 192.168.1.7
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.7 (192.168.1.7)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is 2c:82:17:80:db:d2:6b:63:5d:86:1b:ee:f8:e0:71:7e.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added '192.168.1.7' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
pi@....7's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Apr  7 00:27:41 2018

SSH is enabled and the default password for the 'pi' user has not been changed.
This is a security risk - please login as the 'pi' user and type 'passwd' to set a new password.

pi@compass:~ $ sudo su -
... (same warning as above)
root@compass:~# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@compass:~# passwd pi
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
root@compass:~# vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
root@compass:~# systemctl enable ssh
Synchronizing state for ssh.service with sysvinit using update-rc.d...
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d ssh defaults
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d ssh enable
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/sshd.service to /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service.
root@compass:~# raspi-config
... (expand filesystem)
... (change hostname)
... (etc., finish)

Then of course update/upgrade the OS, add additional packages of interest, etc.

And get rid of the annoying howdy-doody login message of the day (motd):

# > /etc/motd

On 04/06/2018 07:50 AM, David Ranch wrote:
Hello Mitch

[...]

Perry Ogletree

It’s interesting that the configuration utility sets the WiFi country as JP (Japan) instead of US.  I find it much easier to tell newbies to do the “ssh” file trick and then run raspi-config.  It will set up the WiFi for you,

Perry K4PWO