Have lost my Davis VantageVue

Al Massaro KF5SMH

I have an RPI 2b running DRATS, and WeeWx reporting to APRS.FI. I did some rearranging of the computer area and lost my upload to APRS. The Pi shows the bridge connection as bus001 device006. WeeWx shows that the usb port should be USB0 or USB1, the unit was working just fine up to the unplug. I have run the stop and start commands a number of times to no avail, I am not a LINUX wiz so not sure how to find problem, or what to do once I do.
Somebody got a compass to point me in the right direction?
AL M
KF5SMH

Michael Dunn

  Hi Al,

While I don't have WeeWx or a Davis weather station, I have a similar setup using rtl_433 to push weather to APRS.FI.  I would guess that the USB device you use to connect to the weather station has been re-enumerated.  Try this: unplug your connection to the USB weather device.  Then plug it back in and run 'ls -lrt /dev' on the Pi; one of the last devices in the output will likely be the USB device that you should configure in WeeWx.

  Cheers
  Mike

Al Massaro KF5SMH

I found that I was experiencing some router issues also while troubleshooting. I did a firmware upgrade on my router and I am now reporting to APRS, but just to try and learn something I ran your suggestion in the terminal window and it came back invalid option '/' "try ls --help". I did and it came back with a list of short argument options.
Thanks for the reply and help. I would love to know what, or why I did not get a listing back, if I did something wrong or typed it in incorrectly.
Thanks again
AL M
KF5SMH

Here's a starting point -- it's technical, but you can lock a USB to an ID  https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66901/how-to-bind-usb-device-under-a-static-name

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Michael Dunn <ml000-0013@...> wrote:
  Hi Al,

While I don't have WeeWx or a Davis weather station, I have a similar setup using rtl_433 to push weather to APRS.FI.  I would guess that the USB device you use to connect to the weather station has been re-enumerated.  Try this: unplug your connection to the USB weather device.  Then plug it back in and run 'ls -lrt /dev' on the Pi; one of the last devices in the output will likely be the USB device that you should configure in WeeWx.

  Cheers
  Mike

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

g4sra

On 22/02/18 22:59, Al Massaro wrote:
....I ran your suggestion in the terminal window and it came back invalid option '/' "try ls --help".
....I would love to know what, or why I did not get a listing back, if I did something wrong or typed it in incorrectly.
You most likely typed

ls -lrt/dev

instead of

ls -lrt /dev

Al Massaro KF5SMH

Thank You very much, this is what has me at my wits end at times, writing commands for Linux. I do not understand what has to be in the command line to get to the correct file or folder. I never know if I need pi, home, weewx or whatever prior to the file or function I am trying to access.
Again Thank You,
AL M
KF5SMH

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

the tree and pwd commands might be of help.

`pwd` is for "print working directory" and this will show you your current path... like `/home/pi` or `/var/log`

Next is tree

Run `sudo apt-get install tree -y`

This will give you a tool that will help you visually see the folders you are working on.

At any time, you can run `tree` from the command line to see where you are.

± tree
.
├── README.md
├── deploy.yml
├── site
│   └── master.tar.gz
├── templates
│   ├── Constant.php.j2
├── test
│   └── integration
│       └── default
│           └── serverspec
│               ├── default_spec.rb
│               └── spec_helper.rb
└── vault
    ├── vars.yml
    └── vault.yml

Here you can see a simple layout of the folders you are working with.

from the diagram above, if I wanted to see the contents of the vault, I would type:

cat vault/vault.yml

(cat displays the contents of the file located at vault/vault.yml)

Hopefully that helps some.

What OS do you use most often? (Windows/OSX/?)

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Al Massaro <almassaro@q.com> wrote:
Thank You very much, this is what has me at my wits end at times, writing commands for Linux. I do not understand what has to be in the command line to get to the correct file or folder. I never know if I need pi, home, weewx or whatever prior to the file or function I am trying to access.
Again Thank You,
AL M
KF5SMH

Al Massaro KF5SMH

Steve, Oh man, Thank You for that, I did not know I wanted or needed that, but that explains a lot! So if I have this correct to look at spec_helper.rb the command would look like;
cat test/serverspec/spec_helper.rb
I am doing all of this in Debian on an RPI 2B via LX Terminal.
So I do not take up a bunch of space here if you would prefer my contact email is kf5smhwx@q.com
Thank you again!!
AL M
KF5SMH

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

You got it!

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Al Massaro <almassaro@q.com> wrote:
Steve, Oh man, Thank You for that, I did not know I wanted or needed that, but that explains a lot! So if I have this correct to look at spec_helper.rb the command would look like;
cat test/serverspec/spec_helper.rb
I am doing all of this in Debian on an RPI 2B via LX Terminal.
So I do not take up a bunch of space here if you would prefer my contact email is kf5smhwx@q.com
Thank you again!!
AL M
KF5SMH

g4sra

Do what any 12 year old child learning the Pi would do....start here

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/

with Issue MagPi01.pdf

On 23/02/18 15:13, Al Massaro wrote:
Thank You very much, this is what has me at my wits end at times, writing commands for Linux. I do not understand what has to be in the command line to get to the correct file or folder. I never know if I need pi, home, weewx or whatever prior to the file or function I am trying to access.
Again Thank You,
AL M
KF5SMH

Al Massaro KF5SMH

Thanks for that tidbit of information.
AL M
KF5SMH

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Is there a similar for the Pi 2+?

Marty kd8bj

On 02/23/2018 07:53 PM, g4sra via Groups.Io wrote:
Do what any 12 year old child learning the Pi would do....start here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/
with Issue MagPi01.pdf
On 23/02/18 15:13, Al Massaro wrote:
Thank You very much, this is what has me at my wits end at times, writing commands for Linux. I do not understand what has to be in the command line to get to the correct file or folder. I never know if I need pi, home, weewx or whatever prior to the file or function I am trying to access.
Again Thank You,
AL M
KF5SMH

Al Massaro KF5SMH

Marty, a similar what?
AL M
KF5SMH

Marty Hartwell

Hi Al

A group of how to manuals. The ones in you link are for the Pi zero. I
expect the Pi 2+ would be the same for the command for the OS, but there
were other manuals in there for other things too.

Just asking if there is a site dedicated for the 2+ like for the zero.

Marty kd8bj

On 02/25/2018 01:31 PM, Al Massaro wrote:
Marty, a similar what?
AL M
KF5SMH

Randy Hall <ku9cor@...>

The Raspberry Pi platform is substantially identical between the original Pi A, B, A+, B+, 2, 3 and Zero. The major difference is which version of the system-on-a-chip (SoC) that the particular Pi has, though they all can run the same software stack (that is, you can take an SD card out of a Pi Zero, place it in a Pi 3 and expect it to boot at least 99% of the time -- the opposite is equally true)

So, that's why if you look over the MagPi magazines or books (which are all free to download, by the way) you can apply that knowledge to almost any of the various Pi versions.

Good luck!

--R

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
Hi Al

A group of how to manuals. The ones in you link are for the Pi zero. I
expect the Pi 2+ would be the same for the command for the OS, but there
were other manuals in there for other things too.

Just asking if there is a site dedicated for the 2+ like for the zero.

Marty kd8bj

On 02/25/2018 01:31 PM, Al Massaro wrote:
Marty, a similar what?
AL M
KF5SMH

Marty Hartwell

Thanks, I'll go back and see what all is there. I don't have a lot
of trouble using the CLI, I did System Admin on HPUX back in the late
80's and through the 90's. So there have been changes in both OS and
my memory too.

Marty kd8bj