Mobile Pi

Michael <barnes9443@...>

I'm putting together an APRS package for mobile use and will be using a
Raspberry Pi. What would the best way to power this beast be? I'll be
using a tnc-pi and 7" touchscreen. Thanks.

73,

Michael WA7SKG

Ivan Horan

Hi Michael,

I use a 5A 5V regulator that I got from ebay.

The regulator then powers the RPi and a powered USD hub which then
powers the GPS, HDD, Rigs CAT lead, Sound card modem, Keyboard etc. My
screen is powered directly from the input side of the regulator at 12V.
I use the same setup for other digital modes with FLdigi and also SSTV.

73,

Ivan 5B8BI/G1LPW

Marty Boroff

Michael

I got this on Amazon
DROK 090605 DC-DC Buck Voltage step down. Search it. For some reason I can't get a lik on my iPhone using the Amazon app. I tried a few different ones on eBay and they failed. I would get the lightening bolt on the display.

Take a look at Hobbypcb.com for a write up on their aprs station. Also look up N9SIR's web. Page for an image for pi.

73, Marty WD9GYM

On Sunday, June 18, 2017, 11:09 PM, Michael barnes9443@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

I'm putting together an APRS package for mobile use and will be using a
Raspberry Pi. What would the best way to power this beast be? I'll be
using a tnc-pi and 7" touchscreen. Thanks.

73,

Michael WA7SKG

Michael if you used a UDRC II instead, it has a built in 12v to 5v circuit to power it all and you could hook two radios 1 at 1200 baud and another at 9600 if you like.

Michael <barnes9443@...>

'John D. Hays' john@hays.org [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote on
06/19/2017 06:40 PM:
Michael if you used a UDRC II instead, it has a built in 12v to 5v
circuit to power it all and you could hook two radios 1 at 1200 baud and
another at 9600 if you like.
Perhaps. However, I already have the tnc-pi on hand and no need to
connect to two radios. Also, no extra $100 to acquire a UDRC II.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like an interesting item.

Michael WA7SKG

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

John I am saving my $$ for your Radio board you dropped news of on HRN at Dayton.  When is that going to go live on Kickstarter?  I want to be ready for it so could you give this group a days notice?

Thanks!
Ronny
K4RJJ