Puppy on a RPI 2+

Marty Hartwell

HI

Has anyone tried to load a version of Linux Puppy on a Pi 2 +?

Just curious.

Marty kd8bj

Mitch

Marty I have not yet tried it but it appears Barry is hard at a Pi version called Puppi.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppi

Mitch

On Apr 25, 2016 2:57 PM, "Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

HI

Has anyone tried to load a version of Linux Puppy on a Pi 2 +?

Just curious.

Marty kd8bj

Fred Hillhouse

I have written some software and never had that reaction! But I guess the Pi can be pretty exciting.

Fred

Marty I have not yet tried it but it appears Barry is hard at a Pi version called Puppi.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppi

Mitch

On Apr 25, 2016 2:57 PM, "Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

HI

Has anyone tried to load a version of Linux Puppy on a Pi 2 +?

Just curious.

Marty kd8bj

Michael Mcdonald

I believe Puppy is a version of Ubuntu Linux

Mitch

Your security concerns about Puppy Linux are common, though largely unfounded, since, as you note, the entire distribution is in your pocket!  You should read Barry's explanation of his reasoning for making Puppy a root user distro.  It makes perfect sense, and when you stop and think about it, anyone who walks up to almost any RPi installation can do anything because of the unrestricted sudo access with no password.  Yes you can change that, but how many really do (or have a clue how to do so)?  RPi users have no secure leg to stand on, generally.

Puppy has a place in the world of Linux, and the supposed security concerns are trivial if you use your noodle. :D
--
Mitch Winkle
http://ewamjlu.blogspot.com

Marty Hartwell

Yes, but Ubuntu is a Debian product as is Jessie Raspbian, doesn't seen to much of a reach
to think Puppy might be made to work.

Marty kd8bj

On 04/26/2016 11:52 AM, kc7ysw@arrl.net [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

I believe Puppy is a version of Ubuntu Linux

Marty Hartwell

But you can set it up like any other Unix/Linux with a user separate from root, use sudo as with other
linux distros.

Marty kd8bj

On 04/27/2016 03:58 AM, pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

There are several versions of Puppy, including an Ubuntu version, e.g. the Slacko puppy (based on the venerable Slackware), and an Archpuppy, although the latter appears to be dead.

If Puppi comes to light it will be (AFAIK) the first version for an ARM device.

My problem with Puppy is that, although it is useful to stick on a memory stick to carry around it is pretty bad from a security viewpoint.

Mitch

Yes, you can do that Marty, and it's rather pointless when it rides in your pocket.  In fact, a "permanent" disk installation of Puppy is actually somewhat frowned upon as sort of defeating the purpose of the project.  Using the "spot" user has given some people the warm fuzzy of perceived security, but all of that "noise" is not the point of the Puppy project.  pmooney22 notes that you can carry it around.  THAT is the point of Puppy.  You don't walk away from your computer system, you take it with you.  It's in your possession at all times and thus is completely secure.

If one needs a lightweight Linux not filled with garbage like Ubuntu, simply install Debian (in our case here Raspbian) and choose one of the lightweight window managers.  It will not really satisfy the perceived security issues though it will take up very little disk/SD space.  I have a system here that uses less than 8 Gb of storage and has three full window managers (maybe 4 actually), a full development suite (build-essential), all of the FLDIGI libraries required to compile FLDIGI and it's associated programs, a full QtCreator installation, including all of the Qt libraries, two Java SDK's, AX.25 and a host of associated applications for that.  It's a Celeron 2.3 Ghz in 32-bit and runs like a freight train using 2 Gb RAM.

But the original post was about RPi and Puppy!  I am struggling, once again, to see the point of using Puppy when Raspbian works so well.  Once would be re-inventing the wheel if you wished to use the myriad of hardware interfaces on the Pi.

--

On 04/27/2016 03:58 AM, pmooney22@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
wrote:

> There are several versions of Puppy, including an Ubuntu version, e.g.
> the Slacko puppy (based on the venerable Slackware), and an Archpuppy,
> although the latter appears to be dead.
>

> If Puppi comes to light it will be (AFAIK) the first version for an
> ARM device.
>
> My problem with Puppy is that, although it is useful to stick on a
> memory stick to carry around it is pretty bad from a security viewpoint.

Marty Hartwell

But in at least my case Raspian doesn't work so well, and neither does
the Ubuntu mate. I think my issue
is with my network provider Comcast, because my RPi 2 + B won't connect
to the internet. I think it has
something to do with the way the DHCP works. Bottom line I have 4 PC's
on the network all working fine
with Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Puppy Tahr and before the switch to Linux Win XP,
Vista, Win 7, and Win 10 with
no network problem. I have tried several web site solutions and worked
network engineer and still doesn't
work with Raspian Jessie or Mate. So if the new puppi comes out I would
like to try it.

I have two partitions of puppy working on an older laptop with just 750
MB of ram and it works fine and
I could set it up multi partitions and run as a full system. Nothing
wrong with doing that and it runs rings
around a full Ubuntu bloated system with 2 GB, so I like to stick with
something that works the way I want
it to work.

Marty

On 04/27/2016 11:15 AM, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com
<mailto:mhartwe@gmail.com> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
<Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com

<mailto:pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
wrote:

> There are several versions of Puppy, including an Ubuntu
version, e.g.
> the Slacko puppy (based on the venerable Slackware), and an
Archpuppy,
> although the latter appears to be dead.
>

> If Puppi comes to light it will be (AFAIK) the first version for an
> ARM device.
>
> My problem with Puppy is that, although it is useful to stick on a
> memory stick to carry around it is pretty bad from a security
viewpoint.

Mitch

That sounds more like a hardware issue than an OS issue.  All of my RPi2's work fine via WiFi and Comcast using Raspbian, both Wheezy and Jessie.  I assume you are also using WiFi.  Not all WiFi dongles are the same w/regard to RPis.  Can you plug one into your cable router with an ethernet cable and see if it works properly??  That would rule out DHCP and your cable modem and point to WiFi issues.

Have you done the firmware upgrade (raspi-config) on the Pi?  A lot of network issues have been squashed by doing so.

I applaud your decision to use what you want the way you want to use it!!  I just have issue with the urban legends about security issues with Puppy.  They just aren't true unless one purposely goes out of his way to use the distro in a manner in which is was not designed to be used.

--

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

> [...]

> mhartwe@...> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
> <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
> Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...>> wrote:
>
> But you can set it up like any other Unix/Linux with a user separate
> from root, use sudo as with other
> linux distros.
>
> Marty kd8bj
>
> On 04/27/2016 03:58 AM, pmooney22@...
> pmooney22@...> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
> wrote:
> >
> > There are several versions of Puppy, including an Ubuntu
> version, e.g.
> > the Slacko puppy (based on the venerable Slackware), and an
> Archpuppy,
> > although the latter appears to be dead.
> >

> > If Puppi comes to light it will be (AFAIK) the first version for an
> > ARM device.
> >
> > My problem with Puppy is that, although it is useful to stick on a
> > memory stick to carry around it is pretty bad from a security

Marty Hartwell

HI

No not wifi, cable connection to Comcast router, as with two of the
other PC's in the shack.
How do you do the firmware upgrade without a network connection?

I never saw a restriction on use of Puppy that says it can't be used as
a regular linux distribution.
If setup like any other Linux with root being separate and having a user
login it can be as secure as
any other. Users choice, however one needs to invest some time in
knowing how I guess and some
may not see the point when using on a wired network and behind a home
environment.

I did not make it clear on my other post that I was on a first time
startup using Noobs to install the
Raspian Jessie OS, after putting the 16GB disk into the Rpi and powering
it up, it went through its
installation. When that finished I attempted to use the browser, and
found no network connection, I
could not go to any web site, could not get the upgrade, update or do
any kind of apt-get to work.

I did get a response from David Ranch to try some things which didn't
help, I looked at some of the
networking tools which showed that I indeed had a valid network IP
address, I could also connect to
the router to see setup information which told me I had some networking
I just couldn't leave to the
outside world.

I then downloaded the Ubuntu Mate for RPi installed to a different 16GB
disk and had the same experience.

So I am still pondering what to do next. I got the RPi to play with so
at this point I am still pondering. And
thought maybe there is a Puppy version or just trying an existing one to
try, at this point it can't hurt I
don't think.

Marty kd8bj

On 04/28/2016 06:16 AM, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com

<mailto:mitchwinkle@gmail.com>
> [...]
> from root, use sudo as with other
> linux distros.
>
> Marty kd8bj
>
> On 04/27/2016 03:58 AM, pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk
<mailto:pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk>
> <mailto:pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk <mailto:pmooney22@yahoo.co.uk>>
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
> wrote:
> >
> > There are several versions of Puppy, including an Ubuntu
> version, e.g.
> > the Slacko puppy (based on the venerable Slackware), and an
> Archpuppy,
> > although the latter appears to be dead.
> >

> > If Puppi comes to light it will be (AFAIK) the first version
for an
> > ARM device.
> >
> > My problem with Puppy is that, although it is useful to stick on a
> > memory stick to carry around it is pretty bad from a security

Paul M <pmooney22@...>

 There appear to be two topics under this discussion, firstly, Puppy Linux & Security and, secondly, porting for RPis.

I fully accept that Puppy Linux is useful as a portable system whereby you can walk up to most computers and boot into your own personal system from a memory stick which is  a security measure in itself. However, lose your memory stick and you lose your security unless you make sure that every time you use Puppy you ensure that passwords, etc. aren't stored on the stick.

Secondly, Puppy Linux runs on x86 & x64 processors, whilst Ubuntu, Raspbian and several other distributions have been ported to run on the ARM processor used by RPis.

As others have said, if you want a lightweight system, forget Raspbian and Ubuntu, For example, Debian and Arch Linux (my favourite) have a basic installation to which you add any appications you wish; e.g. don't add a GUI unless you need it.

Paul

Mitch

If you are connected via ethernet, and it won't work, I would not suspect the OS.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

HI

No not wifi, cable connection to Comcast router, as with two of the
other PC's in the shack.
How do you do the firmware upgrade without a network connection?

You don't.  rpi-update is a network application which downloads the new firmware.

I never saw a restriction on use of Puppy that says it can't be used as
a regular linux distribution.
If setup like any other Linux with root being separate and having a user
login it can be as secure as
any other. Users choice, however one needs to invest some time in
knowing how I guess and some
may not see the point when using on a wired network and behind a home
environment.

No, Puppy has no "requirement" not to use as a hard drive build, but that is NOT what it is designed for.  It is designed to run from removable media, and as such, has no need for "regular users".  They even show you how to do a hard drive install, all the while telling you it's not necessary.  I will admit though, for a really OLD computer with very limited computing power, it might be useful.

In any case, I don't think another OS is your answer by your descriptions below.

I did not make it clear on my other post that I was on a first time
startup using Noobs to install the
Raspian Jessie OS, after putting the 16GB disk into the Rpi and powering
it up, it went through its
installation. When that finished I attempted to use the browser, and
found no network connection, I
could not go to any web site, could not get the upgrade, update or do
any kind of apt-get to work.

Have you tried a rebuild of the Noobs just in case it got dorked up somehow?  Worth a shot, and only takes a few minutes.  Remind us, what RPi version?  2 or 3?  The new 3's are a different animal that others will have to address.  I have no knowledge of them.  I only have 2's.

Mitch

g4sra

I could also connect to
the router to see setup information which told me I had some networking
I just couldn't leave to the
outside world.
It is highly unlikely you would be able to connect to your router from the Pi if the fault was with the Pi. It is far more likely to be a router issue. However, that said, check whether your working systems are using the IP4 or IP6 protocol, and ensure the Pi is configured to use the same.

If you wish further help, as a start, post the results of..

sudo ifconfig -a

sudo route -n

sudo traceroute -I 8.8.8.8

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Marty Hartwell

Hi Mitch

On 04/29/2016 07:15 AM, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
If you are connected via ethernet, and it won't work, I would not suspect the OS.

Well it is Debian, so is Xubuntu and Lubuntu which I have been using and still do, and did use Windows a
while ago, all work fine with cable connection and wifi along with three tablets. When guests come and
connect with either phone or tablet works fine. So it isn't hardware either. So the Rpi has something within
the software that sets up the network connection from the router or some script. I have looked at the DNS
files under /etc and they nearly match the files under /etc on the *ubuntu systems. I can ping Yahoo and
Google from the *ubuntu systems but not the Pi, I can ping the router though as well like I said before log in
to the admin page of the router.
So that lead to suspecting the Jessie that was created by Noobs. So I downloaded and DD copied the Ubuntu
Mate they have made to work on the Rpi, same result.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com <mailto:mhartwe@gmail.com> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

HI

No not wifi, cable connection to Comcast router, as with two of the
other PC's in the shack.
How do you do the firmware upgrade without a network connection?

You don't. rpi-update is a network application which downloads the new firmware.
I knew the answer when I asked it as a rhetorical question.

[...]

Yes about three times I saw new dates on the Noobs download so thinking maybe something was fixed tried it.
No help there.

Mitch
It is an interesting situation. I am trying to come up with some friend that has a internet provider other than
comcast to see if I can borrow a cable connection to try out, so far all my friends all have comcast too, but I haven't
ruled out trying it out there just in case it is my router too. I may look at my HP Unix system admin study guide to see
if there is any help on network administration there too.

Marty

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello Marty,

Raspian Jessie OS,  [broken] ....I then downloaded the Ubuntu Mate for RPi installed to a different 16GB
disk and had the same experience.

So I am still pondering what to do next.

I think with two different mainstream distros not working, your problem is something else.  I had provided you a bunch of next steps in the email thread (subject: Error message on Rpi 2 B+ ) and G4SRA has also chimed in where he has essentially asked many of the same questions.  I'm confident we can help you if you provide the requested details and be patient to waiting to get the next steps.

Anyway.. the previous emails from you only showed the output of /etc/resolve.conf but to troubleshoot basic IP networking, please answer ALL the questions I or G4SRA asked  (ifconfig, netstat -rn, etc).

Marty Hartwell

Hi

To make it easier I will scan a file that has everything all in one and
will put it into the
area below where the information is ask for.

I reloaded the Noobs onto the 16GB disk that had been formated to FAT32
then powered up
the Pi, and allowed it to finish.
When it started or finish the disk reformat I saw an error:

"Error downloading distribution list from Internet"

So I think that might be an early indication of some sort of network
error somewhere.

See the responses you asked me to provide

On 04/29/2016 09:29 AM, g4sra g4sra@yahoo.co.uk
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

I could also connect to
the router to see setup information which told me I had some networking
I just couldn't leave to the
outside world.
It is highly unlikely you would be able to connect to your router from
the Pi if the fault was with the Pi. It is far more likely to be a
router issue. However, that said, check whether your working systems are
using the IP4 or IP6 protocol, and ensure the Pi is configured to use
the same.

If you wish further help, as a start, post the results of..

sudo ifconfig -a

sudo route -n

sudo traceroute -I 8.8.8.8

cat /etc/resolv.conf

command ifconfig -a >> net1

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddrb8:27:eb:63:20:d0
inet addr:10.0.0.91 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr:2601:483:200:6dfc:3ff8:b1e9:7e03:f29a/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr:2601:483:200:6dfc::9179/128 Scope:Global
inet6 addr:fe80::5877:240a:77ac:4ef0/64 Scope:Link
RX bytes:52304 (51.0 KiB) TX bytes:86152 (84.1 KiB)
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:11824 (11.5 KiB) TX bytes:11824 (11.5 KiB)

command traceroute -I 8.8.8.8 >> net1

$ sudo traceroute -I 8.8.8.8

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets

1 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 2.501 ms 5.490 ms *

2 * * *

3 * * *

4 * * *

5 * * *

6 * * *

7 * * *

8 * * *

9 * * *

10 * * *

11 * * *

12 * * *

13 * * *

14 * * *

15 * * *

16 * * *

17 * * *

18 * * *

19 * * *

20 * * *

21 * * *

22 * * *

23 * * *

24 * * *

25 * * *

26 * * *

27 * * *

28 * * *

29 * * *

30 * * *

command cat /etc/resolv.conf >> net1

# Generated by resolvconf

domain hsd1.tn.comcast.net

nameserver 75.75.75.75

nameserver 75.75.76.76

nameserver 2001:558:feed::1

nameserver 2001:558:feed::2

command route -n >> net1
Kernel IP routing table
0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 202 0 0 eth0
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 202 0 0 eth0

Marty Hartwell

Hi David

I just did, and I am sorry to have put this off for so long. I have been
quite busy, wife had a knee
replacement and been getting past that. She is doing well now and
walking a lot better but still
recovery is slow.

I thought I have provide more than just than just the resolv.conf file
contents. With this response
I have provided the answer to all of his/your questions.

Marty

On 04/29/2016 03:49 PM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty,

Raspian Jessie OS, [broken] ....I then downloaded the Ubuntu Mate
for RPi installed to a different 16GB
disk and had the same experience.

So I am still pondering what to do next.
I think with two different mainstream distros not working, your
problem is something else. I had provided you a bunch of next steps
in the email thread (subject: Error message on Rpi 2 B+ ) and G4SRA
has also chimed in where he has essentially asked many of the same
questions. I'm confident we can help you if you provide the requested
details and be patient to waiting to get the next steps.

Anyway.. the previous emails from you only showed the output of
/etc/resolve.conf but to troubleshoot basic IP networking, please
answer ALL the questions I or G4SRA asked (ifconfig, netstat -rn, etc).

David Cooley

Marty,
I have Rpi's dating back to the first Model A. all work great with all builds of Raspbian, both ethernet and WiFi.
if it was hardware, EVERYONE would be having issues...
I have seen several people with issues similar to yours that replaced their routers and things started working, but their issues were limited to Wifi only
I would be interested in seeing whats in your /etc/network/interfaces file.

To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, April 29, 2016, 11:29 AM

[...]

Have you ruled out your ethernet cable?  Can you try WiFi?