From: "Erik Brom ewbrom@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2016 08:14 AM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] File transfer over APRS?

Anybody know if it's possible to transfer text files, say a list of supplies needed, or people at a shelter, using APRS messaging?

Erik, WB0NIU

Marty Hartwell

Hi

Newbe here so beware of possible misinformation, but it is my understanding that Fldigi suite can be
compiled on the RPi 2B and with it messages can be transmitted to get this information out.

I just got my Pi for Christmas last and I haven't done much with it but plan on doing just this, get the
needed requirements loaded to compile and use fldigi-suite. Maybe later adding another one for packet.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/03/2016 12:17 PM, 'n5xmt1@yahoo.com' n5xmt1@yahoo.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

APRS limits the total number of characters that can be sent in a message. It breaks up larger messages into smaller ones like the old original cellphone texting did at 140 characters

Sent by MailWise <http://www.mail-wise.com/installation/2> – See your emails as clean, short chats.

Anybody know if it's possible to transfer text files, say a list of supplies needed, or people at a shelter, using APRS messaging?

Erik, WB0NIU

Andy McMullin

Marty,

FL-Digi is on the list of software that can be installed by just "ticking the box" in the add/remove software application. No need to recompile, just install, configure and go.

Supposedly D-RATS is the same, but that one doesn't do anything on my Pi2.

I hope this helps.

On 4 Mar 2016, at 13:57, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@gmail.com>
------------------------------------

(Please trim inclusions from previous messages)
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello Marty,

Yes, Fldigi can send larger messages but the original thread topic was about APRS.  Standard packet programs that include file transfer tools like YAPP, etc. can also send files over existing packet networks but that's not APRS per se.

Btw, to touch on Andy's post, the official Debian repos package Fldigi 3.22.01 ( https://packages.debian.org/jessie/hamradio/ ) which was released 10/20/14.  The current version of Fldigi is 3.23.08 which is 21 releases newer.  It seems the Kamal repo was finally updated and you can find new pre-built versions of the Fl-suite there:   https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/ubuntu/fldigi .  You can also build from source which isn't too hard and is covered on the Fldigi Wiki.  It will require an external hard drive (don't compile on your microSD card) and lots of time (the Rpiv3 is new.. but it's still NOT that fast [nor is it supposed to be]).

Marty Hartwell

Hi Andy

Maybe you can help on another issue I am having. With the RPi 2 B+
I can't get the browser to connect
through my router. However I can connect to the admin port and login so
the cable is good. I think I had
an indication that it couldn't get the routing list or something. Have
you heard of this?

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 08:43 AM, Andy McMullin andy@rickham.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Marty,

FL-Digi is on the list of software that can be installed by just
"ticking the box" in the add/remove software application. No need to
recompile, just install, configure and go.

Supposedly D-RATS is the same, but that one doesn't do anything on my
Pi2.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone

wrote:

[...]

Hi David

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,
and so I may look at using the Pi for Packet but may be a leaning curve
as I haven't used packet in forever. mid
90's I think.
Thanks for the response like I said I am a newbe at Rpi.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 09:53 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[...]

Fred Hillhouse

Would a drive like this work for you?

http://www.staples.com/HP-v165w-P-FD32GHP165-GE-32GB-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-Blue/product_162701

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,
and so I may look at using the Pi for Packet but may be a leaning curve
as I haven't used packet in forever. mid
90's I think.
Thanks for the response like I said I am a newbe at Rpi.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 09:53 AM, David Ranch dranch@...
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

> Hello Marty,
>
> Yes, Fldigi can send larger messages but the original thread topic was
> about APRS. Standard packet programs that include file transfer tools
> like YAPP, etc. can also send files over existing packet networks but
> that's not APRS per se.
>
> Btw, to touch on Andy's post, the official Debian repos package Fldigi
> 3.22.01 ( https://packages.debian.org/jessie/hamradio/ ) which was
> released 10/20/14. The current version of Fldigi is 3.23.08 which is
> 21 releases newer. It seems the Kamal repo was finally updated and
> you can find new pre-built versions of the Fl-suite there:
> https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/ubuntu/fldigi . You can
> also build from source which isn't too hard and is covered on the
> Fldigi Wiki. It will require an external hard drive (don't compile on
> your microSD card) and lots of time (the Rpiv3 is new.. but it's still
> NOT that fast [nor is it supposed to be]).
>
> --David
> KI6ZHD

Fred Hillhouse

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...]

Hi David

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,
and so I may look at using the Pi for Packet but may be a leaning curve
as I haven't used packet in forever. mid
90's I think.
Thanks for the response like I said I am a newbe at Rpi.

Marty kd8bj

Can you use a drive like this?

http://www.staples.com/HP-v165w-P-FD32GHP165-GE-32GB-USB-2-0-Flash-Drive-Blue/product_162701

It is small and cheap.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,

If you need more space, why not just use a thumb drive?

Bill, WA7NWP

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hey Marty,

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,

External USB hard drives are quite inexpensive these days and even cobbling together an old computer hard drive and a USB to SATA adapter would be just as effective as well.  If you have a large enough microSD, you can technically compile things on it but it will cause wear on your card.  I personally don't recommend it.  Regardless of your chosen storage, compiling really isn't hard.  The Fldigi wiki is quite clear where all the steps are clearly called out and there are many people on the Linux-Hams Yahoo group (Fldigi centric but other great topics on other Linux things) there to help (me included).

and so I may look at using the Pi for Packet but may be a leaning curve
as I haven't used packet in forever. mid
90's I think.

Packet on the Rpi works very well and there are several pre-built Rpi images available to try out.  Don't like one?  Erase over it and try the next one... it's so simple these days with cheap microSD cards!  From a recent post on the AMPR list:
--
   - Bernard F6BVP's new Jessie based image for TNC-Pi
     http://f6bvp.org/AX25_BBS_Node_RaspBerry_Pi_install.html

   - Mitch AB6MW's Wheezy based image with setup GUI which supports TNC-X and Direwolf
     https://sourceforge.net/projects/haldigital/

   - Brett's TNC-Pi centric image
     https://sites.google.com/a/thinkonit.com/ax25-fpac/

   - Pidora/JNOS package with an embedded JNOS configuration manager is included
     http://ares-mi.org/downloads/Packet/Configure_Personal_JNOS/Configure_Personal_JNOS--Raspberry_Pi-JNOS-en-US.pdf

JJ

I use an old 80 gig hard drive to boot it from over usb...it's been running for two years now...nice to have all that room lol!

On 16-03-04 05:22 PM, Bill Vodall wa7nwp@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

> Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
> I found out about the external drive need,

If you need more space, why not just use a thumb drive?

Bill, WA7NWP

Andy McMullin

Hi again,

Nope. Sorry but mine just works! It get addressing and routing info from its dhcp request of my router. Then connects with no issues.

wrote:

[...]

Yup... any USB thumb drive will work too though I would argue they are also not designed for this kind of write cycles (lots and lots of temp files, lots of re-writes, etc).  An SSD or hard drive is more suited for that.  On the other side, these pen drives are so cheap now, you can just use them until they fail and then buy another.

Marty Hartwell

Hi
I couldn't get to the link but I don't think so, I already have a 32GB
USB drive it I want to use it.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 03:19 PM, 'Fred Hillhouse Jr' fmhillhouse@comcast.net
[...]

OK, well I think I am having DHCP issues or something I will looking
into it.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 04:48 PM, Andy McMullin andy@rickham.net

wrote:

[...]

I have several thumb drives and I have compiled fldigi, flrig and all
fl-suite applications on my two other
ham use laptops, so am not having a problem there, I am however having
issues with the browser on the Rpi 2
for some reason my hard connection isn't allowing a connection to the
outside world, it may be an DHCP
issue for some reason.

Still I am having fun.

Marty kd8bj