PiCW & Raspberry Pi

Dan Hurd

Has anyone here usew James Peroulas PiCW morse transmitter for Raspberry Pi?

I am looking at his command line samples and don't understand the "e6" at the end of his frequencies?

sudo ./PiCW --freq 10.140e6 TEST DE N9NNN

 JamesP6000/PiCW

Javier Henderson <javier@...>

On Jan 17, 2016, at 7:03 PM, kd8dan@yahoo.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Has anyone here usew James Peroulas PiCW morse transmitter for Raspberry Pi?

I am looking at his command line samples and don't understand the "e6" at the end of his frequencies?

sudo ./PiCW --freq 10.140e6 TEST DE N9NNN

I’m guessing it would be engineering notation for 10.14 MHz, e6 mean six zeros.

73,
-jav k4jh

David Gale <mrcruise@...>

The e6 is scientific notation.. Here is a link about it... http://www.chem.tamu.edu/class/fyp/mathrev/mr-scnot.html

If you don't care what it means you can just change the first part of the number... To transmit on 7.050 Mhz it would be 7.050e6

Don't forget to make yourself a low pass filter before transmitting - here is a link to one if you need to just buy a kit for cheap - http://www.qrp-labs.com/lpfkit.html

Have fun!

---
73s & Enjoy!
N4IVE - David Gale

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 7:03 PM, kd8dan@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

Has anyone here usew James Peroulas PiCW morse transmitter for Raspberry Pi?

I am looking at his command line samples and don't understand the "e6" at the end of his frequencies?

sudo ./PiCW --freq 10.140e6 TEST DE N9NNN

 JamesP6000/PiCW

JamesP6000/PiCW
Raspberry Pi CW Transmitter. Contribute to PiCW development by creating an account on GitHub.
Preview by Yahoo

Robert Nickels <w9ran@...>

On 1/17/2016 6:03 PM, kd8dan@yahoo.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Has anyone here usew James Peroulas PiCW morse transmitter for
Raspberry Pi?

No but I use his wspr code all the time and it's great.

I am looking at his command line samples and don't understand the "e6"
at the end of his frequencies?

sudo ./PiCW --freq 10.140e6 TEST DE N9NNN

You enter the frequency using scientific notation. 10.140e6 = 10.140
mHz.

73. Bob W9RAN

danny@...

One could assume it is 10.104 x 10 to the power of 6 (MegaHertz)

10 ^ 6 - Million

or 10e6 in Scientific Notation

the 10 is always assumed and what is left to type is the e6

10.104e5 would be 1.0104 MHz for example.

Danny
K2DMS

Dan Hurd

Yes the WSPR code is awesome, I have my Raspberry Pi busy sending out beacons with it right now and being picked up over 1000 miles away on just 10mw and a 16ft wire, absolutely amazing!

Dan Hurd

Thanks for the explanation!

And yes I already have a LPF for 20m that I am using for WSPR..

Dan W5DMH

Dan Hurd

Well,  I tried to run it with the following command line but it is not transmitting....

It does say that it is transmitting on the correct frequency when I do run it with the e6 (6 zeros) but my receiver is getting nothing.

When I run WSPR I can pick it up on my receiver. Something is not quite right with the software, but it isn't throwing any errors either....

John G8BPQ

What are you trying to run it on? Anything based on PIFM written before the PI2 was released last February won't work on a PI2.

73,

John G8BPQ

Well,  I tried to run it with the following command line but it is not transmitting....

It does say that it is transmitting on the correct frequency when I do run it with the e6 (6 zeros) but my receiver is getting nothing.

When I run WSPR I can pick it up on my receiver. Something is not quite right with the software, but it isn't throwing any errors either....

Dan Hurd

 Yes I am trying to run it on a Pi 2. I did get in contact with James and he confirmed  PiCW will not run on a Pi 2 and he is having difficulty finding time to update it to work with the Pi 2.

I have to dig around and find my Pi 1 and dust it off :)