Question

Marty Hartwell

Hi

I recently sent an email to the linux ham yahoo group asking if the OS
on a Raspberry PI
is a version of Linux, and now realize I should have sent it here
instead or too.
So is Raspian, if that is the correct name for the OS, a version of
Linux. A related question is
can a version of Linux be used on the Raspberry PI.

Is there a PDF file explaining the Raspberry PI or some of the things it
can be used for? I think
I want one to play with but being a ham I think it would be nice to use
it as a small foot print
dedicated to digital use so, I would want to be able to set it up to
build and operate Fldigi
and that suite of tools on it. I have seen reference to someone using
one for DSTAR but I
am not into that now.

Marty kd8bj

kc2oon@...

Yes. Raspberry can run and most of the time runs on a version of Linux.
It can be used for FLDIGI and as a DRATS server for DSTAR or even with a DVMega or DV dongle as a dstar hotspot/gateway.

Keith.

David Ranch <dranch@...>

Hello Marty,

I would recommend these two books:

   Raspberry Pi User Guide : 2nd Edition - http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-User-Guide-Gareth-Halfacree/dp/111846446X - This book includes interesting history on the development of the Raspberry Pi, etc.  This is the new revision that covers the new v2 Raspberry Pi

   Getting Started with Raspberry Pi : Second Edition - http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031628.do - This book has less history but more technical content of understanding the hardware and some recommended projects to start using the Rpi with

There are a *LOT* of books out there about the Rpi so these are just examples.  I'd recommend to browse around and find some books that you PERSONALLY like.  Please also understand that these aren't core Linux books.  Linux is a topic in itself and there are also a lot of good books there too (some are free).

On 12/01/2015 09:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

[...]

Bjorn Pehrson

Raspbian is the correct name. It is a Debian Linux version and it can be
used on te Raspberry Pi.

There is information about what you can use a Raspberry Pi for all over
the web. A good starting point, besides Google, is www.raspberrypi.org.

On 2015-12-01 18:16, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com
[...]

William Sherman

I agree with David Ranch's suggestion: some books are very helpful.

I also have a few projects on my website that I've done using the Raspberry Pi:

WA8KIM Raspberry Pi

 It's amazing what you can do with the RPi!

-Kim WA8KIM.com

Mitch

Marty

Yes, Raspbian is a version of Debian GNU Linux which is specifically tailored to the RPi.

FLDIGI is certainly possible and the tarball for compiling is found here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/fldigi

The Debian compile from source instructions should work pretty well though by no means are they tailored for the RPi.  There are probably better instructions out there in the ether somewhere.

See: https://fedorahosted.org/fldigi/wiki/Documentation/HOWTO/BuildOnDebian

On Dec 1, 2015 12:42 PM, "Marty Hartwell mhartwe@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

[...]

HI all
I want to thank those that have responded and will continue to respond
to my question. I also went to
the yahoo groups web page for this group and am reading some of the
articles I found in the files folder there.

These should, and others I hope to find on line, keep me busy and I may
even get myself a PI to play with
shortly.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/01/2015 11:49 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net