Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] multimeters with a USB interface linux?
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, May 8, 2015, 10:17 AM

Wondering if anyone has any first hand experience
with this?  For a while I have been thinking this would be
handy to have for a number of things.  And interfacing it
to a Raspberry Pi to take the readings remotely.

Larry Macionski

I have one also.I was going to plot some discharge rates on 32 mapgas rechargable batteries I was given and I found that the program Radio Schack provided is VERY old and will not run on Windoze 7 machines. It would seem it's perfect for rasPI...
I'm not going to reinvent the wheel anyone out there did it?

I havent seen a USB, but my Rat Shack DMM, transistor testor etc has a 9 pin serial port for data logging

To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Date: Friday, May 8, 2015, 10:17 AM

Wondering if anyone has any first hand experience
with this?  For a while I have been thinking this would be
handy to have for a number of things.  And interfacing it
to a Raspberry Pi to take the readings remotely.

Richard Ferryman

There is some realated info at Radio Shack DMM with RS-232

THis may be a starter.
Dick

Alan Melia

Hi Dick I am not sure about this but the h/h DMMs that I saw with RS-232 interfaces did not transfer ASCII characters to the PC but a code" based on which segments of the 7-segment dispays were "lit". You will need the supplied s/w to interpret this so you may be stuck with what facilities this provides. It is probably no impossible to reverse engineer the code, but I dont think you were intending that.

Alan
G3NYK