Getting a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Quad Core 1GB RAM

Philip

I will be giving Fldigi a try on it in the morning.
Hoping that it run very well on the new raspberry pi.
I will gave a update on this soon.

Philip g7jur

Philip

Just installed Fldigi on the new Raspberry Pi 2.
It runs really well showing 25 to 40 % of processor usage with the browser open, and in PSK31 mode.
This is a great improvement over the older Raspberry Pi.

Philip g7jur

Ron Eike

What OS are you running?

Ron - KA3PSO

On 02/03/2015 08:25 AM, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Just installed Fldigi on the new Raspberry Pi 2.
It runs really well showing 25 to 40 % of processor usage with the browser open, and in PSK31 mode.
This is a great improvement over the older Raspberry Pi.

Philip g7jur

Jan Andersen

Running FLDIGI,

Thanks for the heads up, that was one of the things I was looking for.

Will get a "2" some time and play with it.

73,

OZ9QV (PA9QV)

Philip

I am using Raspbian the latest. Also using a Griffin iMic USB soundcard.
Hoping to start TXing using my home-made TXRXer soon.
The faster Raspberry Pi opens up some new possibilities like SDR.

Philip. g7jur

Philip

How can I install the latest version of Fligi on my new Raspberry Pi 2.
I am running the latest version of Raspbian.

Philip g7jur.

Philip

Why is it so complicated to install software into Linux.  With Windows it is so easy.
All I wont to do is install the latest version of Fldigi on my new Rasberry Pi.
I have had a look on the internet and cannot find a answer.

Philip.

David Cooley

Did you go to the fldigi site?

Sent by MailWise – Your emails, with style.:)

Why is it so complicated to install software into Linux.  With Windows it is so easy.
All I wont to do is install the latest version of Fldigi on my new Rasberry Pi.
I have had a look on the internet and cannot find a answer.

Philip.

Ray Cadmus

While I haven't had a chance to check - I suspect that fldigi is in the raspberian repository.  From a terminal line type "sudo apt-get install fldigi" and it will likely install itself.

Hope this helps,

ray    W0PFO

--

On 02/07/2015 02:20 PM, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Why is it so complicated to install software into Linux.  With Windows it is so easy.
All I wont to do is install the latest version of Fldigi on my new Rasberry Pi.
I have had a look on the internet and cannot find a answer.

Philip.

special@...

That's spot on Ray, exactly how to get it and install it on the Pi.

Slim G4IPZ

Philip

The version in the repository is over two years old, as is most of the software there.
Philip g7jur

g4sra

On 08/02/15 09:01, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
The version in the repository is over two years old, as is most of the software there. Philip g7jur

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/fldigi/fldigi fldigi-fldigi

Straight from the horses mouth
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/

Philip

Done that. Now what do I do.
I just want to install and run like I do In windows.

Philip g7jur.

g4sra

On 08/02/15 13:24, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Done that. Now what do I do.
I just want to install and run like I do In windows.
You do exactly the same as you would on Windows.
If you want the latest (and that is what you asked for) you have to
build it yourself.

Read the documentation.

Philip g7jur.

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Phillip.  Linux doe not always work like this.  If you want the latest version of the program you may have to build or compile it from source.  I'm no expert at all but what I have learned is that someone out there in the world has probably done this before and most will document it with a How To page.

This is where Google is your Friend...            http://blog.pwcares.org/?p=47

Ronny
K4RJJ

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

Done that. Now what do I do.
I just want to install and run like I do In windows.

Philip g7jur.

isisdave@...

I have just retired from many, many years of experience in computers, which I mention only as the source of the following observation:

When you post a question in the Windows world, everyone thinks they know more than you, and will give you detailed instructions, even if they're wrong or don't apply to your situation.

In the Linux world, everyone assumes you're an expert, or at least have extensive experience, and make suggestions like "just install it from the repository," as if you knew what the heck that was, or where it is, or how to use it.

I'm not sure WHY either of those is so, and continue to look for the middle ground!

73 de Dave KF6XA

Philip

Thanks to all that tried to help me run the latest Fldigi on my Raspberry Pi.
I am fine with Windows, but in the world of Linux I am lost.
Had a look on the internet on how to build Fldigi for Linux, seem like a lot of work and many ways doing it.
Why can it not be installed using a installer like in Windows.
By the why I love Fldigi, and use it in Windows all the time.
Maybe now the faster Raspberry Pi is out, someone will put a newer version of it on a repository.

Al Massaro KF5SMH

If and when you find it I sincerely hope there is room for two, as I am in the same boat.

Al

Dale Miller - KC2CBD

On 2/8/2015 8:04 AM, g4sra g4sra@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]
wrote:
On 08/02/15 13:24, philip.g7jur@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Done that. Now what do I do.
I just want to install and run like I do In windows.
You do exactly the same as you would on Windows.
If you want the latest (and that is what you asked for) you have to
build it yourself.

Read the documentation.

Philip g7jur.

You have 2 options
install Synaptic in a terminal type "sudo apt-get install synaptic" and
then you can install anything by checking and installing.
Or
sudo apt-get install fldigi

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

stpatrick3spam@...
stpatrick2spam@...
stpatrick3spam@...
bdchimneysweepspam@...

(cut the spam to reply)

__

Patricia Wilson <wilson.pr.gm@...>

Repositories are always behind the latest release. There are several (many?) different repositories, one for each flavor of linux. Some of the packages are maintained at near current by the distro people. Many are not but must be updated by the people who maintain the software. Or at least that's my understanding.
Please remember that ALL of the people working on fl* are volunteers. Also keep in mind that while raspy is a descendant of debian nearly all debians run on Intel machines. The pi is still something of a niche. I was surprised as heck that there was a build of fldigi for the pi and even more surprised at how easy it was to build flrig.

Anyone who is running fl software should join the linuxham group in yahoo groups. The guy that writes the software hangs around there.