From: "k6acj@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]"
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:11 AM
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Time lapse photography

I am getting ready for FD and want to setup a Pi with Pi-Cam for time lapse photography of the FD event.  I know a tiny bit about motion software when using a Logitech web cam but am not sure if it works with the Element 14 Pi Camera module.    Has anyone used Motion and the Pi-Cam, I'd like to use the feature to record when there is motion only to save some space on the 500 gig external hard drive used for storage.  My Logitech/Motion combo seems to record all the time.   Bill k6acj

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Watch ALTV 62.  Peter has a cool plan to do this.  I'm not a fan of it autostarting and just pulling out the power.

Ronny
K4RJJ

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:11 AM, k6acj@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

I am getting ready for FD and want to setup a Pi with Pi-Cam for time lapse photography of the FD event.  I know a tiny bit about motion software when using a Logitech web cam but am not sure if it works with the Element 14 Pi Camera module.    Has anyone used Motion and the Pi-Cam, I'd like to use the feature to record when there is motion only to save some space on the 500 gig external hard drive used for storage.  My Logitech/Motion combo seems to record all the time.   Bill k6acj

Dale Miller - KC2CBD

On 5/27/2014 10:11 AM, k6acj@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

I am getting ready for FD and want to setup a Pi with Pi-Cam for time lapse photography of the FD event.  I know a tiny bit about motion software when using a Logitech web cam but am not sure if it works with the Element 14 Pi Camera module.    Has anyone used Motion and the Pi-Cam, I'd like to use the feature to record when there is motion only to save some space on the 500 gig external hard drive used for storage.  My Logitech/Motion combo seems to record all the time.   Bill k6acj

Check out AmateurLogic Episode 62
< http://www.amateurlogic.tv/blog/?p=534 >
And the show notes are at the wiki here
< http://amateurlogic.tv/wiki/doku.php?id=amateurlogic_episode_62 >

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

stpatrick3spam@...
stpatrick2spam@...
stpatrick3spam@...
bdchimneysweepspam@...

(cut the spam to reply)

__

Dale Miller - KC2CBD

On 5/27/2014 10:57 AM, Ronny Julian k4rjjradio@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Watch ALTV 62.  Peter has a cool plan to do this.  I'm not a fan of it autostarting and just pulling out the power.

Ronny
K4RJJ

How ironic Ronny, I just sent that same answer. :)

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD
Cookeville, Tennessee
Ham Operator since 1997 (Extra)

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

stpatrick3spam@...
stpatrick2spam@...
stpatrick3spam@...
bdchimneysweepspam@...

(cut the spam to reply)

__

James French

If this helps out, here's a book that I found interesting about doing just that:
Raspberry Pi for Secret Agents

Here's the pdf download that I found after I had checked it out at the local
library:
http://it-ebooks.info/book/2929/

James W8ISS

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Dale Miller stpatrick2@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

On 5/27/2014 10:57 AM, Ronny Julian k4rjjradio@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Watch ALTV 62.  Peter has a cool plan to do this.  I'm not a fan of it autostarting and just pulling out the power.

Ronny
K4RJJ

How ironic Ronny, I just sent that same answer. :)

--
All the Best & 73's
Dale Miller, KC2CBD
Cookeville, Tennessee
Ham Operator since 1997 (Extra)

Registered Linux User: #317401
Linux since June 2003
Registered Ubuntu User #26423

stpatrick3spam@...
stpatrick2spam@...
stpatrick3spam@...
bdchimneysweepspam@...

(cut the spam to reply)

__

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Yep.  That was a good segment for Peter.  I have watched ALTV since the start.
Ham Nation and Ham Radio Now are great too.

Anyone want to do a Podcast?  RadioPi comes to mind as a name.

[...]

pmooney22@...

Check out the 'Howto' at the RPi site http://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/webcam-timelapse-setup/

Paul 5B8BA

k6acj

Thanks to everyone who send info for motion-mmal, I have at least a dozen bookmarks now.

One question: do I install motion first followed by motion-mmal per the info provided here ?

Since 'motion' and 'motion-mmal' comments span a large time frame in 2013 and 2014 I am also curious if the information provided here on the forum is pointing to current versions?  I checked git-hub and found many entries leaving me a bit confused as to which install procedure to follow.
dozencrows/motion

I follow all installations with apt-get update/upgrade to stay on top of changes but one never knows.

Thanks ..... Bill acj

James French

From what I have seen when I did a look up for motion-MMAL, moiton-MMAL
is the actual motion program but is a 'special' build by the Pi community to
support the Pi camera module.

Here's a link that may help you understand about this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-as-low-cost-HD-surveillance-camera/step7/Installing-the-motion-detection-software/

I do not know how much experience you have with Linux in general, I've been using
varies distros since 2000 and am still learning something new almost everyday. I do
have a good track record of figuring out things and fixing them :) :) :)  Which is something
that I can't say for windoze.

James W8ISS

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM, k6acj@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...> wrote:

Thanks to everyone who send info for motion-mmal, I have at least a dozen bookmarks now.

One question: do I install motion first followed by motion-mmal per the info provided here ?

Since 'motion' and 'motion-mmal' comments span a large time frame in 2013 and 2014 I am also curious if the information provided here on the forum is pointing to current versions?  I checked git-hub and found many entries leaving me a bit confused as to which install procedure to follow.
dozencrows/motion

dozencrows/motion
Motion, a software motion detector
Preview by Yahoo

I follow all installations with apt-get update/upgrade to stay on top of changes but one never knows.

Thanks ..... Bill acj

Max

Sorry, I didn't make very good notes as this is all I have.

1. Install the standard Raspbian motion package via apt-get.
2. Unzip the motion-mmal tarball into your home folder.
3. Then try running it with the provided config file "./motion -n -c motion-mmalcam.conf". This should work - test it out by checking the webcam feed on your Pi on port 8081.

I don't remember having any problems getting it running. I haven't checked to see if there is a new motion-mmal tarball available. It has been running since Sept  of last year.

Hope this helps a little, Max

k6acj

Thanks all again, I am working on a number of Raspberry Pi projects and Arduino projects with a few very old PICAXE projects finished in the side awaiting pretty cases.  My C programming is slow as I need to follow examples but have completed some neat wireless projects; I have 3 Pi boards running WiFi projects, one was a remote TNC / Xastir setup upstairs capturing local APRS only and displayed on my iPad via VNC, Motion runs from a Pi booting from a 500 gig HD; a number of so so remote control Pi projects.  I made a wireless remote control for the capacitor on my home brew HF Loop Antenna and am currently finishing a second with more features and using 2.4gig transceiver chip.  I'm just wrapping up remodeling 2 bedrooms so only have a few minutes now and then to play radio and maintain continuity with programming ideas.

I generate a lot of ideas, not sure if I am a good programmer but everything works so far.  :o))  I like turning some old junk into workable 'stuff', fun too.    Thanks for the kind input ..... Bill K6ACJ ARRL Ham Radio for the Arduino and Picaxe.