Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

Larry Fields

  I have a question on the use of a Raspberry Pi and whether anyone has used it for APRSSetup.

  I would like to use one with the APRS UI/VIEW 32 System.

  Has anyone got any info on this info as I plan to setup one with my station in the Philippines

  Thanks

  Larry Fields,du1/n6hpx

ramsatphones@...

Hi Larry

I just set something up using xastir and posted a you tube video, have a search around for pigate. I can say it was easier than I though it would be to setup an igate.

regards

Woz VK4LEG

max <max@...>

Prehaps you might like to look at something a bit newer that is still being developed......

Max

On 24/04/2014 11:47 a.m., n6hpx_du1@... wrote:

  I have a question on the use of a Raspberry Pi and whether anyone has used it for APRSSetup.

  I would like to use one with the APRS UI/VIEW 32 System.

  Has anyone got any info on this info as I plan to setup one with my station in the Philippines

  Thanks

  Larry Fields,du1/n6hpx

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Mike Brogan

UI-view is a Windows program only and since the author has died and the source code destroyed there is absolutely no prospect of a linux version becoming available............

--
Mike Brogan

g8jhe@...
g8jhe.radio@...

stephen provost

Max: I am interested about your comment listed below.

can you elaborate for us please?
thanks!
stephen

Re: Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"max" max_wheatley

Prehaps you might like to look at something a bit newer that is still
being developed......

Max

max wheatley <max@...>

Hi Stephen

Well as someone else pointed out a little more harshly that I was prepared too...

- The guy who wrote UIview is dead
- He ordered the source code destroyed on his death
- Its windows only

And the map support doesn't exist for local grids.

In the very near future I am deploying a Pi in my car and the plan is to run YAAC on it. As YAAC is Java it is really platform independent.. .... so if your OS, be it OSX, Windows, Android IOS as long as it rung Java you are away laughing ....

No support for local grids yet but at least uses OSM which is a good start.

Currently only for windows is SARTrack which does close to everything you might want but windows only and GPS integration with GPX only .....

Hope that gives you some more ideas....

Max

On 26/04/2014 00:09, stprovost@... wrote:

Max: I am interested about your comment listed below.

can you elaborate for us please?
thanks!
stephen

Re: Rapsberri and APRS Setup Question

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"max" max_wheatley

Prehaps you might like to look at something a bit newer that is still
being developed......

Max
________________________________________________________________________ Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com) .

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Andy McMullin

Stephen et al,

Just to add that as well as SARTrack for Windows, there is AGWTracker which is still under development. That one includes a range of mapping options and is very versatile but, as said, also Windows and Windows-CE only.

For Unix there's Xastir but that is very American-centric with poor mapping options outside the USA. Inside the USA you've lots of choice for map sources but of the 125-odd formats claimed hardly any seem to be accurate for Europe so it depends where you're interested in. However, I don't seem to have seen any updates in the last year so I couldn't swear it can be classed as "still being developed". BUT it is native for the Pi.

I hope this helps.

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH

On 26 Apr 2014, at 01:38, max wheatley <max@...> wrote:

[...]

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

I plan to use this soon on the Pi.  Xastir does not run well no matter how I've tried it.    It runs well on Windows and Linux as well.  Built in open source map support that works fine for me.

K4RJJ

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Andy McMullin <andy@...> wrote:

[...]

John Guillory <westlakegeek@...>

Wow!  The only reason I can think of to order my code be destroyed when I die is if I was ashamed of it.  Otherwise, I'd want to either leave someone in charge of upgrades and collecting money, and specify that they keep a percent of the registration fees, the remainder be turned over to my wife.  That, or just release it all to source forge and make it free.

--
KF5QEO
John Guillory

On Apr 25, 2014, at 7:38 PM, max wheatley <max@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Whilst I agree that YAAC is multi-platform and does some things quite well, again I find the mapping isn't so hot. Downloading the tiles then importing/converting takes a deal of processing time -- and then in my case the land/sea boundary is not shown at all with the defaults of the program. Living by the seaside means the maps I see are somewhat weird!

I can send you a screen-shot if you like -- there is no boundary to the country just rivers appearing out of nowhere! The official pre-complied tiles don't seem to show anything when I try and download them, the whole planet set just wouldn't download, so this is with gz tiles from the extracts at geofabrik.de - Europe/Great Britain.

Of course, your part of the world might be better served!

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH

On 26 Apr 2014, at 11:59, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Andy

You have looked at them in some other viewer other than YAAC ???? like is it a map, YAAC or Pi problem.

Don't forget that if it is a map problem I am sure the OSM guys would welcome your input.

Hey, if little old ZL is reasonably well covered I am sure your part of the world must be much better.

Max

On 27/04/2014 02:53, Andy McMullin wrote:
[...]

Ray Wells

Sir, your advice regarding xastir couldn't be any less accurate if you tried, and you have grossly mislead this group.

Xastir has support for more mapping formats than, arguably, any other aprs program. Note! Mapping formats. Whether maps for those formats are available in any particular country is a matter for that country to sort out, not the xastir developers, but I doubt the vast majority of users would want anything outside the formats that are natively handled by xastir, regardless of where in the world they live. America as a country seems to produce a greater variety of free mapping than most anywhere else, it would seem, but it's hardly fair, and totally incorrect,� to say that xastir is "American-centric with poor mapping options outside the USA."�

My preference is for raster maps, usually topographic, in jpg, png or tif formats and many of the maps I use are those I used with UIView about 100 years ago. I simply used the inf2geo tool that ships with xastir to convert the UIView .inf description file to a .geo description file. Nothing else needs to be done. If you can use a particular map in UIView you can use it in xastir.� I've scanned paper topographic maps to jpg format and manually created a geo reference file from coordinates on the map, I've downloaded maps from the Internet and used the same procedure; used shapefiles (which I don't like) and I've used (use) online free mapping. All the foregoing is natively handled by xastir in a standard release.

As for updates, xastir is under constant development and issues are promptly fixed with CVS releases. Most users of an application would see a lack of updates as a sign of stability and maturity, and that is certainly the case with xastir.� If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Members of the development team subscribe to the xastir mailing list and readily offer help and advice to users in strife and, if a bug should arise it is dealt with very quickly.

I'm not American, I have no connection with the xastir development team (except I've called for advise occasionally in years gone by), but I am a long term user of xastir (since release 1.04, about 12 or so years ago when I ran it on a 166MHz Pentium under vanilla Debian). I compiled and run it on my desktop computer (Linux Mint), compiled and run it under Linux Mint Debian Edition on my laptop,� and I have compiled and used it on the RPi. I no longer use it on the RPi for the aprs gateway (because I run it headless as command line only) but I will always use it for non-gateway aprs because I believe it's the best available.

Ray vk2tv

On 26/04/14 19:35, Andy McMullin wrote:
�

Stephen et al,

Just to add that as well as SARTrack for Windows, there is AGWTracker which is still under development. That one includes a range of mapping options and is very versatile but, as said, also Windows and Windows-CE only.

For Unix there's Xastir but that is very American-centric with poor mapping options outside the USA. Inside the USA you've lots of choice for map sources but of the 125-odd formats claimed hardly any seem to be accurate for Europe so it depends where you're interested in. However, I don't seem to have seen any updates in the last year so I couldn't swear it can be classed as "still being developed". BUT it is native for the Pi.

I hope this helps.

--�
Regards
Andy, G8TQH

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Considering who compiles that data you are probably right.  Other than mapping how do you linke it?  I think he is on the right track.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Andy McMullin <andy@...> wrote:

[...]

Well opinions vary.  I never could make the stupid thing work at all.  Shows how user friendly it is.  YAAC seems to work better overall and I've had no major issues.
      Most hams do not want to compile from source and while I support the Linux systems much more than anything else there is a learning curve most will never climb.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

[...]

There's a big difference between "I can't get the program to work" and "the program is no good", I'm sure you'll agree.

To Ronny, and anybody else having difficulty with xastir .... ask for help! There are people on this list who use xastir and who may be able to help, but the best place for help, the place where both new and experienced users, and developers hang out is the xastir mailing list.

This is a reminder, sent out once a month, about your lists.xastir.org
mailing list memberships.  It includes your subscription info and how
to use it to change it or unsubscribe from a list.

You can visit the URLs to change your membership status or
configuration, including unsubscribing, setting digest-style delivery
or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation), and so on.

In addition to the URL interfaces, you can also use email to make such
changes.  For more info, send a message to the '-request' address of
the list (for example, mailman-request@...) containing
just the word 'help' in the message body, and an email message will be
sent to you with instructions.

If you have questions, problems, comments, etc, send them to
mailman-owner@....  Thanks!

Ray vk2tv

On 27/04/14 13:28, Ronny Julian wrote:

[...]

Other than my mapping problem, I also think it's definitely on the right lines.

I think the use of java giving easy install and multiple operating systems is a great idea. The wizard configuration to set it up is good too. I also loved the way it just worked with both my TNC and aprs-is without any messing around. When I tried it, messaging worked well as did query.

My map issue is probably related to the sea not being coloured but rather having the same colour as the generic map background. The same maps displayed (from online sources rather than precompiled) in SARTrack and AGWTracker look just fine. I'd like to be able to delete all the objects in one go -- so as to remove them from my map -- but that's a local problem related to the transmission of "duff" objects around here. I also like to be able to get more information about a source (station or object) by clicking on it or something rather than opening the station list and hunting for it. And I don't understand why it downloads 638 fonts every time I start it (according to the preferences tab)!

But it's still a beta and being improved on a regular basis! So all these things will come if people ask for them. It's definitely a product to use if you can.

--
Regards
Andy, G8TQH

On 27 Apr 2014, at 01:07, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob McPeak <rob@...>

Try loading the topographical data. In my area, which has a lot of complicated shoreline, it made a huge difference. I think I may have had to restart the app after loading the topo data for it to display.

Rob

On Apr 27, 2014, at 7:08 AM, Andy McMullin <andy@...> wrote:

[...]

Ray I see no difference when it is not working.  I'm not going to bother trying anymore to cobble the thing together when YAAC works better out of the box for me. Why does the community have an old repository version if that is not the latest and greatest?  Why is  compiling from source even needed if the group wants this to be a widely used program?  I don't see FLDigi having these issues?  I install XUbuntu
 on a friends machine and that is the first program I get for them.  Always works great from the start.

It is what works for me that counts with me.  You will not change my mind on that.

Ronny
K4RJJ

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 4:37 AM, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Ronny

Those are just the very problems I had when I took a quick look .... so it wasn't just me ....

Thanks

Max

On 28/04/2014 10:18, Ronny Julian wrote:
Ray I see no difference when it is not working.  I'm not going to bother trying anymore to cobble the thing together when YAAC works better out of the box for me. Why does the community have an old repository version if that is not the latest and greatest?  Why is  compiling from source even needed if the group wants this to be a widely used program?  I don't see FLDigi having these issues?  I install XUbuntu
 on a friends machine and that is the first program I get for them.  Always works great from the start.

Ronny
K4RJJ

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

If you are a real Linux person and are not afraid to go out and build from source, track down maps, find dependencies etc give this a try.  I did make it work but the interface is not user friendly and the text is not changeable as easy as the rest of the OS.  I have some eyesight challenges and found this made the program even more of a non starter.

If it works for you keep making it better.  I'd like to see many more good APRS programs.  Remember YAAC was born out of one guy taking a challenge and it went from nothing to good function in a short time.  If you have not seen Garys video on it give it  a look.