TNC-PI Help please

Ryan Stapleton

Hello All,
    I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond.  I have recently put together 2 TNC-PI's.  These are my first real attempt at putting together a kit.  (My last one was over 10 yrs ago and only a little LED Christmas Tree)   

I finally hooked up a radio yesterday but don't have any joy.  I am going to list what I have done here.  I also only have a multi-meter for test equipment.  

I picked up an OLD Yaesu CAT-2500 yesterday at a local hamfest.  The radio works and I am able to transmit and receive on it no problem.

I wired up what I believe are the connectors from the 4 pins on the TNC PI.  (1,3,5,6) to the radio.

When I key up the radio I do hear a tone on another radio I have with both TNC-Pi's.

TNC-PI 1:
When I send a packet on one of my other setups (TH-72A or PK-88/Radio combo) I see the yellow light come on.  
I tried: sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0
and got some squiggles but no one ones appeared at all when packets came in.
Minicom also showed offline.

TNC-PI 2:
The yellow light does not always come on when a packet happens.
I tried:  sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0  I didn't see any data.
minicom also showed off line.

All Cases:

I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1   and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0"

sudo axlisten -a : nothing comes across.

axcall 1 KA3WUT-4 : No red light, no keying up.

Config Files:
/boot/cmdline.txt:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

# The format of this file is:

#

# name callsign speed paclen window description

#

1 KA3WUT-1 19200 236 2 TNC 1

Notes:
KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88
KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:
I have seen where some folks are saying listen to pin 6 of a chip?  What chip is that and how does one do that?  If a normal headset I assume I need to have one 1 of the headset set to pin 6 (I assume 1 is top left of a chip?)  Does anything else need to be connected to the headset and if so what?

I can take photos of my boards front and back if that would be helpful?  
I am up for suggestions/ideas/help.

Thank you
-Ryan (KA3WUT   Chantilly, VA)

Ray Wells

Ryan,

There appears to be no space between the callsign and the port speed in axports. Is that the case? A space is definitely needed.

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

Hello All,

I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond.  I have recently put together 2 TNC-PI's.  These are my first real attempt at putting together a kit.  (My last one was over 10 yrs ago and only a little LED Christmas Tree)   

I finally hooked up a radio yesterday but don't have any joy.  I am going to list what I have done here.  I also only have a multi-meter for test equipment.  

I picked up an OLD Yaesu CAT-2500 yesterday at a local hamfest.  The radio works and I am able to transmit and receive on it no problem.

I wired up what I believe are the connectors from the 4 pins on the TNC PI.  (1,3,5,6) to the radio.

When I key up the radio I do hear a tone on another radio I have with both TNC-Pi's.

TNC-PI 1:
When I send a packet on one of my other setups (TH-72A or PK-88/Radio combo) I see the yellow light come on.  

TNC-PI 2:

All Cases:

I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1   and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0"

Config Files:
/boot/cmdline.txt:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

Notes:
KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88
KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:
I have seen where some folks are saying listen to pin 6 of a chip?  What chip is that and how does one do that?  If a normal headset I assume I need to have one 1 of the headset set to pin 6 (I assume 1 is top left of a chip?)  Does anything else need to be connected to the headset and if so what?

Thank you

Ryan Stapleton

Hello Ray,
    They are all TABs between the fields in the axports.  I will change them to spaces tonight after work and see what happens.

Thanks
-Ryan

On Apr 8, 2014, at 3:58 AM, Ray Wells <vk2tv@...> wrote:

Ryan,

There appears to be no space between the callsign and the port speed in axports. Is that the case? A space is definitely needed.

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

Hello All,

TNC-PI 1:

TNC-PI 2:

All Cases:

Config Files:
/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

Notes:
KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88
KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:

Thank you

Tommy Kane

reference the pin6 question, it is pin 6 of the op amp. The audio goes in via pin 3 and out via pin 6. If you look at the build instructions you will see the circuit diagram, with help from some of the guys, I managed to trace the entire board out and track the audio through. I must admit that I never managed to hear the tone that apparently is always generated but I used Visual Analyser to get it to show as a trace in the laptop.

I found Visual Analyser hard work, found SCOPE more user friendly.

I should openly admit I am no guru on this just reflecting my experience of trying to get the TNC-Pi up and running

Tommy

MM0KNE

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of Ray Wells
Sent: 08 April 2014 08:59
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-PI Help please

Ryan,

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

Hello All,

TNC-PI 1:

TNC-PI 2:

All Cases:

Config Files:

/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

Notes:

KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88

KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:

Thank you

Tommy Kane

Not sure about that I thought mine were tabs?

Tommy

MM0KNE

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of Ryan Stapleton
Sent: 08 April 2014 12:20
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-PI Help please

Hello Ray,

They are all TABs between the fields in the axports.  I will change them to spaces tonight after work and see what happens.

Thanks

-Ryan

Ryan,

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/14 21:05, ryan@... wrote:

Hello All,

TNC-PI 1:

TNC-PI 2:

The yellow light do es not always come on when a packet happens.

All Cases:

Config Files:

/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axpo rts:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

Notes:

KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88

KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:

Thank you

John G8BPQ

Ryan,

It is probably a silly question, but are you trying to use both TNC's on the same PI. You can only connect one at a time, unless at least one is set to i2c mode.

John G8BPQ

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of ryan@...
Sent: 06 April 2014 12:06
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-PI Help please

Hello All,

TNC-PI 1:

TNC-PI 2:

All Cases:

I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1   and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device a x0"

Config Files:

/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

1         KA3WUT-1  19200     236       2         TNC 1

Notes:

KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88

KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:

I can take photos of my boards front and back if that would be helpful?   ;

Thank you

Ryan Stapleton

I have not hooked them both up together. I have tried one at a time. 

Thanks
Ryan

On Apr 8, 2014, at 3:15 PM, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

Ryan,

It is probably a silly question, but are you trying to use both TNC's on the same PI. You can only connect one at a time, unless at least one is set to i2c mode.

John G8BPQ

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of ryan@...
Sent: 06 April 2014 12:06
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] TNC-PI Help please

Hello All,

TNC-PI 1:

TNC-PI 2:

All Cases:

I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1   and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device a x0"

Config Files:

/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

1         KA3WUT-1  19200     236       2         TNC 1

Notes:

KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88

KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:

I can take photos of my boards front and back if that would be helpful?   ;

Thank you

Ray Wells

Ryan,

Tabs are fine, probably my ageing eyes deceiving me.

Ray vk2tv

On 08/04/14 21:19, Ryan Stapleton wrote:
�

Hello Ray,

� � They are all TABs between the fields in the axports. �I will change them to spaces tonight after work and see what happens.

Thanks
-Ryan

Ryan,

Ray vk2tv

On 06/04/14 21:05,�ryan@...�wrote:
�

Hello All,

� ��I appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond. �I have recently put together 2 TNC-PI's. �These are my first real attempt at putting together a kit. �(My last one was over 10 yrs ago and only a little LED Christmas Tree) ��

I finally hooked up a radio yesterday but don't have any joy. �I am going to list what I have done here. �I also only have a multi-meter for test equipment. �

I picked up an OLD Yaesu CAT-2500 yesterday at a local hamfest. �The radio works and I am able to transmit and receive on it no problem.

I wired up what I believe are the connectors from the 4 pins on the TNC PI. �(1,3,5,6) to the radio.

TNC-PI 1:
When I send a packet on one of my other setups (TH-72A or PK-88/Radio combo) I see the yellow light come on. �
I tried:�sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0

TNC-PI 2:
I tried: �sudo minicom -b 19200 -o -D /dev/ttyAMA0��I didn't see any data.

All Cases:

I do the kiss attach /dev/ttyAMA0 1 10.1.1.1 � and it says "AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0"

Config Files:
/boot/cmdline.txt:

/etc/ax25/axports:

# /etc/ax25/axports

#

#

#

Notes:
KA3WUT-4 is my PK-88
KA3WUT-7 is my TH72

Questions:
I have seen where some folks are saying listen to pin 6 of a chip? �What chip is that and how does one do that? �If a normal headset I assume I need to have one 1 of the headset set to pin 6 (I assume 1 is top left of a chip?) �Does anything else need to be connected to the headset and if so what?

I can take photos of my boards front and back if that would be helpful? �

Thank you
-Ryan (KA3WUT � Chantilly, VA)

Ryan Stapleton

Hello Ray,
   Sadly that didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks
-Ryan

Ryan,

Ray vk2tv