Poll: computing background of people starting of with the RasPi

Kristoff Bonne

Hi Ron,

OK. My appologies.
I guess the use of the term "IT" may differ from place to place. Overhere, it would simply be equivalent to "what is your computer background".

Anycase, the poll seams to have been quit a success. (more then what I expected, thanks to all that filled in the poll!!! :-) ).

Based on the current results (44 votes), my very rough (and unscientific) first analysis is this:
- roughtly one of five of the people who voted have used linux before. A minority of them have also already used embedded linux.
- roughtly one of of 10 have experience with other embedded systems.

So, for me, this would leave me to conclude that the majority of the people in the group are actually making their first steps in the world on linux via the Raspberry pi. (concidering this group is aimed at ham-applications, this is -I think- not such a big surprise).

So, first of all, .... "welcome to the wonderfull world of linux!!!".
:-)

However, I guess, for the 20 to 25 % of the people who do have unix / linux background, this will mean that we will have to keep this in mind.

Now, I agree with John. This is -in the first place- a group about using the Raspi for ham-applications and there are other list specifically aimed at "the raspberry pi for newbies".
However, on the other hand, it would probably not be a bad idea� to spend just a little more time on explaining things then what we are used to do.

As a practicle example.
There is quite a lot of information on the web for new raspi and linux users on the net.
Also, the yahoo-groups has a "links" section, which is already already nicely used by some people.

I just created a folder "raspi and linux for newbies".
Perhaps that can be usefull to use that as a "starting place" for hams who are new to the pi, to linux/unix, to embedded systems and to open source; so they can start exploring.
After all, the reason the pi was created is to allow people to learn about computers, and bring back the "fun" in computing; just like 20 to 30 years ago!

And I think that, as more and more aspect of the radio-amateur hobby involve computers, the combination of raspi + ham-radio should be double fun!

73
Kristoff - ON1ARF

On 21-04-13 21:40, Ron Wright wrote:
�

IT is a low level of programming and many professional magazines and other organizations do not see IT as much more than someone working with an existing programming which is basically what it is.

If one wants to know about programming ask who is a computer or software engineering or the like.� In my 30 years as a developer of computer hardware and software I cannot think at any time was an IT person involved or employed in the same efforts.

IT has it place, but one will find much more exciting and challenging efforts at other levels.� I am sure IT people could learn to work with the Pi, but then again there are 15 year olds doing it, hi.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
BSEE
Micro Computer Concepts
352-683-4476

To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
From: kristoff @skypro.be
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:46:44 +0200
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Linux is not Windows

�

Hi,

On 21-04-13 18:43, Kristoff Bonne wrote:
�
..., I started a small poll:

"what is your IT backgroup you have / had before you started working with the Pi".

The goal is to have an idea if the majority of the people here have already worked with linux / unix, with embedded devices, etc. before; if this is a group or all linux geeks, or if the majority come from a PC / user background.

BTW.
The poll can be found here:

kristoff - ON1ARF

Stephen <squirrox@...>

Hi Kristoff,

Thanks very much for organizing the poll. I'll write my replies with the results in mind in the future.

FWIW over here in Europe IT covers a whole load of things that are computer related. I was the Head of IT for a big corporate. This covered every aspect of computing and telecoms for the organisation. All the programmers, the infrastructure guys, the radio techs worked for my part of the enterprise. However to some people IT means the ability to use Microsoft Office. So the term really doesn't mean that much.

73s Steve

[...]

Similar story here -- I am the VP of IT at my day job.  I manage IT operations, Software/Web Development, User Experience Design, IT Project Management, Telecom (VOIP), Network Engineering, and what ever else comes my way.

I still do hands on stuff, with 30+ years of Unix/Linux development and administration.  I also can drive Windows, IOS, Android, Mac OS, and assorted Linux systems and applications.  Lately, I've been doing a lot of software "porting" to ARM.

IT can mean a lot of different things depending on company culture.

My "night" job is product development for the UDR56K at http://www.nwdigitalradio.com

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Stephen <squirrox@...> wrote:

Hi Kristoff,

Thanks very much for organizing the poll. I'll write my replies with the results in mind in the future.

FWIW over here in Europe IT covers a whole load of things that are computer related. I was the Head of IT for a big corporate. This covered every aspect of computing and telecoms for the organisation. All the programmers, the infrastructure guys, the radio techs worked for my part of the enterprise. However to some people IT means the ability to use Microsoft Office. So the term really doesn't mean that much.

73s Steve

Well lets see, where to begin!  I am a retired IT middle management person of over 40 years  I worked for several major insurance companies in Hartford Connecticut. I started as an IBM 1401 programmer and made my way up to the Director of  Intel infrastructure Department which procured, deployed and managed all the companies INTEL based servers. After 37 years I was laid off and ended up working for a small Manufacturing shop at the hands-on IT manager. That is where I concluded my career.

I have been a HAM since 1988.

--Fran, W1FJM

John

I bet you know about wordmarks & tapemarks!

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.

I remember the 1401.  My first was the 1160. Abt 1971

1st licensed in 1973

Sent from Samsung tablet

Fran Miele <fran@...> wrote:

Well lets see, where to begin!  I am a retired IT middle management person of over 40 years  I worked for several major insurance companies in Hartford Connecticut. I started as an IBM 1401 programmer and made my way up to the Director of  Intel infrastructure Department which procured, deployed and managed all the companies INTEL based servers. After 37 years I was laid off and ended up working for a small Manufacturing shop at the hands-on IT manager. That is where I concluded my career.

I have been a HAM since 1988.

--Fran, W1FJM

David Rowell

Just missed the IBM 650(?) drum memory machine at Syracuse! Learned FORTRAN and card punching on IBM 7074(?) in '65. Programmed a Systron Donner(?) analog computer to solve some drive train dynamics issues. Then GE timesharing and a bunch of seminars. Programmed system software and Algor drivers for HP 2100. First - of many - home computer was Commodore VIC-20 and it went downhill from there! Currently using a little quad core Gateway mini-desktop with 4 GB RAM and 640GB drive - obsolete probably but I'm really tickled with it!

Started using various linux distro's in the late '90's settling on Ubuntu around '05. Since Unity I've been a happy Linux Mint Cinnamon user. I've done a lot of MS Professional Basic and a little C and Fortran programming at work on Windows and at home on Linux.

Been a HAM for a few years and Extra since 2010. Living in a CC&R situation kinda restricts my activity tho. Dad was a HAM from the spark gap days.

--
Congres' motto - "Never put off today what you can put off tomorrow"

How about paper tape and punch cards! LOL

--Fran

I bet you know about wordmarks & tapemarks!

On 4/22/2013 6:43 PM, Fran Miele wrote:

Well lets see, where to begin!  I am a retired IT middle management person of over 40 years  I worked for several major insurance companies in Hartford Connecticut. I started as an IBM 1401 programmer and made my way up to the Director of  Intel infrastructure Department which procured, deployed and managed all the companies INTEL based servers. After 37 years I was laid off and ended up working for a small Manufacturing shop at the hands-on IT manager. That is where I concluded my career.

I have been a HAM since 1988.

--
John Ferrell W8CCW
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.
P.C. HODGELL

Dave Cochran <dave@...>

What was wrong with the paper tapes?  Lol

An embroidery shop that I did IT work for still used them back in the early eighties.   It was not too long ago I finally tossed my very first program i wrote (late 70s) in the burn barrel...it was on punch cards.   I even gave them the infamous "punch card shuffle" before tossing them in.

Dave - NOTRQ

On Apr 23, 2013 8:22 AM, "Fran Miele" <fran@...> wrote:

[...]

Tape!!?? The HP 2100 8k machine had a super duper 300 c/s tape reader (tape would spit a good 2ft when it got going) and a "high speed" punch that would punch tape at the amazing rate of 75 c/s ;-)

Tape had one BIG advantage over cards - the deck wouldn't shuffle!

--
Congres' motto - "Never put off today what you can put off tomorrow"

Brian Reay

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Dave Cochran <dave@...> wrote:

What was wrong with the paper tapes? Lol

Nothing.

The first computer I programmed used paper tape. It also used valves (tubes). It was 1968 or so, when I was in my early years at Grammar school. Out school have been donated a Ferantti Pegasus computer, it filled a classroom. Even when I started University in 1976 (after a 'gap year' to earn some money), one of the machines we used there (a Data General Nova) used paper tape for some tasks. We also used 'punch cards' (with Fortran) when using the central University Computers. I think the first microprocessor development system I used (for the 6100, not a common beast it had the PDP instruction set) may have had a tape reader on it. That would have been Summer 1977, when I secured 'plum' vacation job saw me though both the 'long' vacs.

When I started in industry (1979), paper tape was still in use on defence projects supporting older kit (although I wasn't working those myself) up until I left for change of direction in 2003 or so.

Conversing, 8" disks came an went, as I recall a colleague observing when a youngster scoffed at paper tape. As did punch cards and various other drives, zip, 3", 5.25". You still see 3.5 drives.

That has made me feel very old....

73
Brian
G8OSN/W8OSN
www.g8osn.net

Rick Simpson <goatguy101@...>

In 1963 the electrical engineering department at Lehigh University got its first computer -- a Singer-Freiden LGP-30 complete with 512 bytes of drum memory. Input was by punch cards giving the absolute address and hex code for each program step. Needless to say, programs were short and debugging was long and tedious (no assembler). Later I punched paper tape on a teletype model 33 and fed it to a PDP-8.

Rick

> What was wrong with the paper tapes? Lol

Nothing.

The first computer I programmed used paper tape. It also used valves (tubes). It was 1968 or so, when I was in my early years at Grammar school. Out school have been donated a Ferantti Pegasus computer, it filled a classroom. Even when I started University in 1976 (after a 'gap year' to earn some money), one of the machines we used there (a Data General Nova) used paper tape for some tasks. We also used 'punch cards' (with Fortran) when using the central University Computers. I think the first microprocessor development system I used (for the 6100, not a common beast it had the PDP instruction set) may have had a tape reader on it. That would have been Summer 1977, when I secured 'plum' vacation job saw me though both the 'long' vacs.

When I started in industry (1979), paper tape was still in use on defence projects supporting older kit (although I wasn't working those myself) up until I left for change of direction in 2003 or so.

Conversing, 8" disks came an went, as I recall a colleague observing when a youngster scoffed at paper tape. As did punch cards and various other drives, zip, 3", 5.25". You still see 3.5 drives.

That has made me feel very old....

73
Brian
G8OSN/W8OSN
www.g8osn.net

John

I suppose the IBM 402 was my first computer. It was definitely solid state weighing in at about 2600 pounds with the attached carriage. No vacuum tubes or transistors but lots of relays. It did have "one way wires" that were essentially diodes (sometimes selenium rectifiers). It worked in decimal with mechanical counters. It was the fore runner of the COBOL programming language.
I was pleasantly surprised when Slashdot led me to this article earlier this week:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249951/if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it_ancient_computers_in_use_today.html