Von: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-
Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag von Charles
Gesendet: Montag, 1. April 2013 18:16
An: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Betreff: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Powering the Raspberry & TNC.

For those who plan to power the Raspberry, TNC and radio package from a
12VDC source.....
Here is the DC to DC converter that I have been using since July of last
year w/o an problems. The 1.5 A output is more than enough to supply the
TNC-Pi and Raspberry.

This little inexpensive device was $4.30 plus shipping:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=811-2196-
5-ND

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

Charles

Yes, it is a switching PSU. I have had others make the same remark about avoiding the Use of a Switching PSU.

The Voltage is Very Stable... even with the added load of a TNC-Pi.
The module is rated at 1.5 A so that should be more than enough to give reliable power. I am using the RPi as a Packet server. The apps are an FPAC node and the Linux RMS Gate.

The system has been in constant service since late Jul 2012.

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

It is a switcher ... right?

So when you plan to use the raspi as a server for rtl stick or similar
things then I would try to avoid switching psu

Dg9bfc

Sigi

Ps maybe ok with some added filtering?

For those who plan to power the Raspberry, TNC and radio package from a
12VDC source.....
Here is the DC to DC converter that I have been using since July of last
year w/o an problems. The 1.5 A output is more than enough to supply the
TNC-Pi and Raspberry.

This little inexpensive device was $4.30 plus shipping:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=811-2196-
5-ND

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

Stephen <squirrox@...>

Hi Charlie,

If you want to clean the noise from your switching PSU (on the assumption that you can raise the voltage) you could try running it at 6 volts followed by a 5 v low noise LDO regulator. I just made one and have yet to measure the noise output.

The theory is http://cds.linear.com/docs/Application%20Note/an101f.pdf

73s Steve

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Charles" <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Scan

you just have to watch switchers as they can cause birdies depending on where the switching freq. is.

I have a large 20A PSU I use to power my radios, but it has an adjustment so you can move the birdie out of band if you happen to notice it in the part of that band you are working.

Yes, it is a switching PSU. I have had others make the same remark about avoiding the Use of a Switching PSU.

The Voltage is Very Stable... even with the added load of a TNC-Pi.
The module is rated at 1.5 A so that should be more than enough to give reliable power. I am using the RPi as a Packet server. The apps are an FPAC node and the Linux RMS Gate.

The system has been in constant service since late Jul 2012.

<>
k4gbb

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., "siegfried jackstien" wrote:

> It is a switcher ... right?
>
> So when you plan to use the raspi as a server for rtl stick or similar
> things then I would try to avoid switching psu
>
> Dg9bfc
>
> Sigi
>
> Ps maybe ok with some added filtering?

Mike Murphree N4MHO

An unshielded Raspberry Pi is just as much of a potential interference source as the power supply used to power it. For packet operation, put your antennas as far away from the RPi and PS as possible.

Also:  Hello Charlie!  I was a member of TPALAN about 17 years ago and moved further north.  I heard that we lost Jim/W4DPH from that community.

73
Mike N4MHO

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Bob Scanferla <va3rjs@...> wrote:

you just have to watch switchers as they can cause birdies depending on where the switching freq. is.

I have a large 20A PSU I use to power my radios, but it has an adjustment so you can move the birdie out of band if you happen to notice it in the part of that band you are working.

Yes, it is a switching PSU. I have had others make the same remark about avoiding the Use of a Switching PSU.

The Voltage is Very Stable... even with the added load of a TNC-Pi.
The module is rated at 1.5 A so that should be more than enough to give reliable power. I am using the RPi as a Packet server. The apps are an FPAC node and the Linux RMS Gate.

The system has been in constant service since late Jul 2012.

<>
k4gbb

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., "siegfried jackstien" wrote:

> It is a switcher ... right?
>
> So when you plan to use the raspi as a server for rtl stick or similar
> things then I would try to avoid switching psu
>
> Dg9bfc
>
> Sigi
>
> Ps maybe ok with some added filtering?

Siegfried Jackstien

A switcher that needs an adjustment to move the birdies away is not proper
built ... a good switching psu has lots of filtering on input and output
side and does not need any adjustment of the switching frequency

Dg9bfc

Sigi

________________________________

Yes, it is a switching PSU. I have had others make the same remark about
avoiding the Use of a Switching PSU.

The Voltage is Very Stable... even with the added load of a TNC-Pi.
The module is rated at 1.5 A so that should be more than enough to give
reliable power. I am using the RPi as a Packet server. The apps are an
FPAC node and the Linux RMS Gate.

The system has been in constant service since late Jul 2012.

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-
Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com> , "siegfried jackstien"
<siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

It is a switcher ... right?

So when you plan to use the raspi as a server for rtl stick or similar
things then I would try to avoid switching psu

Dg9bfc

Sigi

Ps maybe ok with some added filtering?

Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-
Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com> ] Im
Auftrag von Charles
Gesendet: Montag, 1. April 2013 18:16
An: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-
Ham_RADIO%40yahoogroups.com>

For those who plan to power the Raspberry, TNC and radio package from
12VDC source.....
Here is the DC to DC converter that I have been using since July of
last
year w/o an problems. The 1.5 A output is more than enough to supply
the
TNC-Pi and Raspberry.

This little inexpensive device was $4.30 plus shipping:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=811-
2196-
5-ND

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

Ron Wright <mccrpt@...>

And it cost more, hi.

One often gets what one pays for and for most consumer applications one is not trying to work with a radio that has 0.2uV sensitivity thus switchers work well for most.

I am using switching power supplies with my Ham rigs with no problems I've seen, but know noise has been a problem with them for years.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
BSEE
Micro Computer Concepts
352-683-4476
mccrpt@...

To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
From: siegfried.jackstien@...
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 15:30:56 +0000

KG6YGC <kg6ygc@...>

On Apr 2, 2013, at 8:30, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

A switcher that needs an adjustment to move the birdies away is not proper
built ... a good switching psu has lots of filtering on input and output
side and does not need any adjustment of the switching frequency

Check out the Samlex desktop switching power supplies.  Excellent price point, 3 year warranty and no RFI!

-kg6ygc

Ron Wright <mccrpt@...>

I have 2 of the SEC1235M (w/meters) and they are excellent supplies.  Look at the supply Yeasu pushes with the FT857/897, the FP1023, and it looks identical to the SEC1223 and for twice the money...guess having the name Yeasu on the supply means something to some, hi.

These supplies are light and do provide good power out.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
BSEE
Micro Computer Concepts
352-683-4476
mccrpt@...

CC: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
From: kg6ygc@...
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 23:20:47 -0700

On Apr 2, 2013, at 8:30, "siegfried jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

A switcher that needs an adjustment to move the birdies away is not proper
built ... a good switching psu has lots of filtering on input and output
side and does not need any adjustment of the switching frequency

Check out the Samlex desktop switching power supplies.  Excellent price point, 3 year warranty and no RFI!

-kg6ygc

I'm running one of these to power my IC-9100 and a bunch of low power devices.  Haven't observed any switching noise and it just runs.  (The fan does stay on.)

Dollars per amp beats the others.

John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Ron Wright <mccrpt@...> wrote:

I have 2 of the SEC1235M (w/meters) and they are excellent supplies.  Look at the supply Yeasu pushes with the FT857/897, the FP1023, and it looks identical to the SEC1223 and for twice the money...guess having the name Yeasu on the supply means something to some, hi.

These supplies are light and do provide good power out.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
BSEE
Micro Computer Concepts

Charles

I don't seem to have a noise problem with this converter.
I don't have a scope to look at the output.
If I do it is hidden by the noise from my PC's supply.
I operate at 145.030 and 145.630 MHz. I suppose it makes little difference.

I am looking at another device to replace the converter because
this device is not adjustable and is set for 5 V. I need to increase that to 5.25 to compensate for the drop across the polyfuse.

<<Charley>>
k4gbb

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <squirrox@...> wrote:

[...]

Roger Elmore

Charles wrote:
I am looking at another device to replace the converter because
this device is not adjustable and is set for 5 V. I need to
increase that to 5.25 to compensate for the drop across the
polyfuse.
I've begun collecting the parts for a pair of PI+TNC-PI combos (for an APRX digi/IGate and a Linux RMS Gateway) in a rack mount case powered from the same Astron RS-50M as the two radios and going to give the $7 LM2596 module (bought from Amazon) a try. 3-40V in and 1.5-35V out at 3A. My plan is to use a separate LM2596 fused at 1A for each PI's input, with a 6A rear panel accessible fuse common to the 13.8V input of each LM2596 and a 80mm fan. Here goes nothing...

On a different note, has anyone experimented with light pipes to bring the PI's LED status to the front panel of a chassis? I've used the Bivar SLP3-450-100-F on a NHRC Micro repeater controller previously but the LEDs on the PI are too close together for those. I was looking at the flexible Bivar LC-2.0 at the Mouser website and was wondering if those might work. Any input from anyone?
--
Roger KJ4AJP

n0gik@...

How about some old MM fiber patch cable (no ends) and shave the tops off of some panel leds to scatter the light? Not very modular, down and dirty.

Matt - N0GIK

On a different note, has anyone experimented with light pipes to bring the PI's LED status to the front panel of a chassis? I've used the Bivar SLP3-450-100-F on a NHRC Micro repeater controller previously but the LEDs on the PI are too close together for those. I was looking at the flexible Bivar LC-2.0 at the Mouser website and was wondering if those might work. Any input from anyone?
--
Roger KJ4AJP

Ray Wells

I bought 5, smps adjustable output modules using the LM2596 from Ebay ($1.52 each including freight from Hong Kong to Australia!). These are branded Leivin and the PCB layout and circuit is as per the National Semi datasheet. A preliminary test with a 1A load showed a very noisy output on the CRO. When time permits I'll try the NS recommendation of an LC filter in the output. I think the device has potential but not "off the shelf" for running the RPi.

Ray vk2tv

On 05/04/13 00:58, Roger Elmore wrote:

Charles wrote:
> I am looking at another device to replace the converter because
> this device is not adjustable and is set for 5 V. I need to
> increase that to 5.25 to compensate for the drop across the
> polyfuse.

I've begun collecting the parts for a pair of PI+TNC-PI combos (for an APRX digi/IGate and a Linux RMS Gateway) in a rack mount case powered from the same Astron RS-50M as the two radios and going to give the $7 LM2596 module (bought from Amazon) a try. 3-40V in and 1.5-35V out at 3A. My plan is to use a separate LM2596 fused at 1A for each PI's input, with a 6A rear panel accessible fuse common to the 13.8V input of each LM2596 and a 80mm fan. Here goes nothing...

On a different note, has anyone experimented with light pipes to bring the PI's LED status to the front panel of a chassis? I've used the Bivar SLP3-450-100-F on a NHRC Micro repeater controller previously but the LEDs on the PI are too close together for those. I was looking at the flexible Bivar LC-2.0 at the Mouser website and was wondering if those might work. Any input from anyone?
--
Roger KJ4AJP

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Charles this is just a better 7805 right?  I got two.  What fuse type and value are you using on yours?

Ronny
K4RJJ

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Charles <k4gbb1@...> wrote:

For those who plan to power the Raspberry, TNC and radio package from a 12VDC source.....
Here is the DC to DC converter that I have been using since July of last year w/o an problems. The 1.5 A output is more than enough to supply the TNC-Pi and Raspberry.

This little inexpensive device was $4.30 plus shipping:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=811-2196-5-ND

<>
k4gbb

Ian Bennett <ibennett@...>

Hi Ray,
I think I have the same type and managed about 2A (ish) output at 5V with very respectable ripple (read: hardly noticeable on the cro). I was a little disappointed seeing the output at 4.85V but was withing spec.
I have been bitten a few times because I didn't read the data sheet correctly, so I read the thing many many times whilst waiting for mine to arrive.
The one thing (ok, there was two) that stuck in my mind was the use of low leakage electros and the low loss "tracks" required )shown in bold in the recommended circuit).
I built mine on vero board and the the low loss connections were constructed using additional tinned copper wire following the copper and a heap of solder to fill the gaps. If nothing else, it won't blow away in the wind ;-)
My coil came out of a few trashed UPS'. I was ratting them for the toroids but luckily I kept a few intact.

Ian

Charles wrote:
[...]

Roger,

I use the same module, but I clean up the output by passing it through a LM2940 3 leg 5 volt LDO regulator (with the caps each side as you would use for a standard application). I don't have any objective measurements but the data sheet quotes an output noise voltage of 150 uV. The whole lot fits into an altoids tin.

Hope this helps,

Steve G0XAR

Charles wrote:
[...]

It looks different than a larger 7805, but who knows what is inside, hi.  It does have similar spec except it can handle 1.5A instead of 1.0A.

There are versions of the 7805 that handle 3 Amps.  Also some 7805s have a near zero volt drop or need less than 6V input.  See some info at:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CE4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.micrel.com%2F_PDF%2Fmic29150.pdf&ei=18BeUZ6EHIGm8ASgyoC4Dg&usg=AFQjCNGNtaCUHG3irZ7yWAZDFW7_jwQsBA&sig2=mXahlbfJ7y0dPpM21TKVeA&bvm=bv.44770516,d.eWU

If one had good heat sinking and input say like 8-9 V then a regular 7805 would handle the Pi.

I simply bought a 5V wal-wart that had the micro-USB connector with it.  I got from MCM Electronics at https://www.mcmelectronics.com/default.aspx

MCM has the wal-wart for less than $7 at http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/28-13055

I think I've spent more on Pi accessories and other items like USB keyboard than the Pi cost, hi.  Isn't that the way things work.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE/R
BSEE
Micro Computer Concepts