DXSpider on the pi

Tim G3PJD

Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'

I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.

As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).

Any help appreciated

73

Tim
G3PJD

John G8BPQ

Tim,

I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.

The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either the

ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under user sysop's home directory.

Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created - but I may be missing it!

73, John

Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'

I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.

As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for 'clueless'!).

Any help appreciated

73

Tim
G3PJD

Tim G3PJD

John

Thanks for the thoughts. Indeed, despite my my ignorance of the language I can't see how spider/ gets created. Think I will create it and try again!

73

Tim
G3PJD

_____

Has anybody tried Bill, N6WS' procedure for installing DX Spider on Raspi? I
have had two attempts, the second one after re-formatting and re imaging my
SD, but both attempts failed at "CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider" (my
quote marks) with the error message 'cannot overwrite non-directory /spider
with directory /home/sysop/spider.new/'

I am running 2012-12-16 Raspbian Wheezy on a 4GB SDHC and a Pi model B.

As I am new to Debian I am somewhat at a loss (English understatement for
'clueless'!).

Any help appreciated

73

Tim
G3PJD

n6ws

Hi Tim,

The symbolic link /spider is created with:
ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider

Also, there are a few changes made recently.  Make sure you are using v1.03 of the instructions.

73, Bill
N6WS

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., "John Wiseman" wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.
>
> The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either
> the
>
> ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under
> user sysop's home directory.
>
> Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created
> - but I may be missing it!
>
> 73, John
>

> _____

John G8BPQ

Ok, Bill,

But where is ~sysop/spider created?

73, John

The symbolic link /spider is created with:
ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider

Also, there are a few changes made recently.  Make sure you are using v1.03 of the instructions.

73, Bill
N6WS

On 02/07/2013 10:03 AM, g3pjd wrote:

John

Thanks for the thoughts. Indeed, despite my my ignorance of the language I can't see how spider/ gets created. Think I will create it and try again!

73

Tim
G3PJD

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., "John Wiseman" wrote:

> Tim,
>
> I used it a while ago, but I cant remember if I adapted it at all.
>
> The message suggests that /spider doesnt exist, which suggests that either
> the
>
> ln -s ~sysop/spider /spider failed, or there isn't a spider folder under
> user sysop's home directory.
>
> Actually, I cant see where in the instructions the spider folder is created
> - but I may be missing it!
>
> 73, John
>

> _____

K2DMS <k2dms@...>

CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

maybe should be

cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider

Unless CP is an alias to cp.

Rusty Haddock <rusty@...>

K2DMS wrote:
>CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
>
>maybe should be
>
>cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
>
>Unless CP is an alias to cp.

I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?

sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider

Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.

Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)

-Rusty-
--
_____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
|&#92;/ o &#92; o Way out yonder in the
| ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
|/&#92;__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!

Tim G3PJD

CP in caps is my typo in this posting. I typed it correctly when loading the SD.

Note to self: Read through more carefully before hitting 'SEND'!

73

Self

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "K2DMS" wrote:

[...]

As I understand it, the contents of spider.new are copied to /spider by this line, and the next line in the procedure removes the directory spider.new.

If I am right, then this little glimmer of understanding is clear progress for me!!

Not sure what a left field bleacher is, but it sounds painful!

73

Tim
G3PJD

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Rusty Haddock wrote:

K2DMS wrote:
>CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
>
>maybe should be
>
>cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
>
>Unless CP is an alias to cp.

I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?

sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider

Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.

Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)

-Rusty-
--
_____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
|&#92;/ o &#92; o Way out yonder in the
| ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
|/&#92;__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!

n6ws

Tim,

Were you able to get DXSpider to run using v1.05 of the instructions?

73, Bill
N6WS

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., Rusty Haddock wrote:

> K2DMS wrote:
> >CP -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
> >
> >maybe should be
> >
> >cp -a /home/sysop/spider.new/ /spider
> >
> >Unless CP is an alias to cp.
>
> I hafta ask -- why aren't you simply creating a symbolic link?
>
> sudo ln -s /home/sysop/spider.new /spider
>
> Not sure how much file space is used by ~sysop/spider.new but
> it's getting duplicated with a 'cp'. A symbolic link is simply
> a "pointer" yet effectively connects /spider to ~sysop/spider.new.
> On the other hand, if you want to keep the spider.new directory
> pristine in case something goes wrong... 'cp' is not a bad thing.
>
> Sorry for jumping in out of the left-field bleachers. :)
>
> -Rusty-
> --
> _____ Rusty Haddock <=> AE5AE
> |\/ o \ o Way out yonder in the
> | ( -< O o Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
> |/\__V__/ Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!

Jim Thisdale

the easiest way to do this that I know of is using a GUI file manager, 2nd way is using the file manager in webmin.
if you want to do it from the command line then try this:

you could try reading the manual on the copy command: man cp

or just try this:
cd /home/sysop/spider.new
cp -R * /spider
this might also work: cp -R .. /spider

that will copy all files without a "." in them.
if there are files with periods in the filenames, you might have to run it again with *.*

the switch [-R | -r | --recursive] should copy the sub-directories recursively.

-Jim-
http://n1jmm.no-ip.org