Topics

Poll results for Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...

The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is now closed. Here are the
final results:

POLL QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
- Start a new yahoo group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
- Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2 votes, 15.38%

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO

andelscott

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com wrote:

The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is now closed. Here are the
final results:

POLL QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?

CHOICES AND RESULTS
- Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
- Start a new yahoo group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
- Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2 votes, 15.38%

Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2 hours!

Robert Nickels <w9ran@...>

On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2 hours!
Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem, it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the purpose of the group is.

It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!

73, Bob W9RAN

Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...>

No and I appologise.. I started the poll after looking for other yahoo groups that pertain to ham radio and Linux boards..

Finding none (poor choice of serach criteria...) I styarted the pool..

Seeing there are other groups... I would like to see us utilize those for those topics.. rather then to recreate one since there are others.. Which was the possible outcome of the POLL..

The POLL can be considered done and moot..  I was going to use the data to see if it warranted a NEW yahoo group.. But seeing one exists.. :)

I see no problem with a braoder posting as long as we do not turn this into a Generic Linux Board group.. Just use good sense and moderators will probably let your posts ride..

73 Jerry N9LYA

Jerry Kutche
Electrical Supervisor

Lehigh Cement Company LLC
180 N. Meridian Road
Mitchell, IN  47446
Phone:  (812) 849-2191 ext. 251
Fax:  (812) 849-5007
Cell: (812) 583-0445
jkutche@...
www.lehighcement.com

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.  Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

> The following Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO poll is now closed. Here are the
> final results:
>

> POLL QUESTION: Would it be ok with most to have abroader discussion to include other Linux Boards, beyond the pi?
>
> CHOICES AND RESULTS
> - Include other linux boards?, 9 votes, 69.23%
> - Start a new yahoo group!, 2 votes, 15.38%
> - Not an issue either way or no opinion, 2 votes, 15.38%

Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2 hours!

gw4kjw

It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!

73, Bob W9RAN

I don't thinbk you're outnumbered at all, Bob. Calling something that was only available to vote on, for a couple of hours a poll. Is laughable.
As is the idea of calling something a Raspberry Pi group and then cluttering it up with some random assortment with other boards.

If it goes ahead. I'm 100% certain that somebody will start another group, just for the RasPi

Gareth - GW4KJW

Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...>

Ok lets pass Policy...

Lets keep this group focused on the Raspberry Pi as originally intended..!

Sorry I guess it is time to stop gyrating and make a decision..

Sorry for all the mass confusion...

now Back to the Raspberry Pi!!!

Jerry

> It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
> popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
> confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
> based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!
>
> 73, Bob W9RAN

I don't thinbk you're outnumbered at all, Bob. Calling something that was only available to vote on, for a couple of hours a poll. Is laughable.
As is the idea of calling something a Raspberry Pi group and then cluttering it up with some random assortment with other boards.

If it goes ahead. I'm 100% certain that somebody will start another group, just for the RasPi

Gareth - GW4KJW

Michael O'Bannon

Many of us are interested more in getting ham applications running on a small linux board than specifically in the RaspberryPi. A single list would allow us to pool experience and knowledge. Possibly what we find with one board will apply to another. That's a lot more efficient that trying to keep up with several separate lists. Also, it would allow the experts to generate app's that work for several boards instead of being confined to a single product.

The RaspberryPi appears to have limitations that aren't getting fixed and may never be fixed, so working with other boards makes sense. Also, some other lists are specific to some aspect of ham radio. For example, I, for one, have no interest in D-Star but would very much like to see one of the open-source codecs running on a small linux board.

So it makes sense to me to open up this list to other linux-based microprocessor boards.

73,
Michael KD4SGN

On 1/28/2013 11:37 AM, andelscott wrote:
Is this really representative - the poll has been open for less than 2
hours!
Agreed. I was still pondering the pros and cons. I generally like
having groups with broad focus, but when I'm trying to solve a problem,
it's nice not to have to wade through gobs of irrelevant material to get
to what I'm really interested in. I do have a Delete key and never
assume the role of "list police", it's just a matter of what the
purpose of the group is.

It seems to me that diluting this group to include other (much less
popular) linux boards will decrease the focus on the R-Pi and lead to
confusion when posts are not specific to one board or another - but
based on the two hour poll, I'm clearly outnumbered!

73, Bob W9RAN

Michael O'Bannon

Jerry,

Could you provide links for the groups focusing on ham radio with small, inexpensive Linux boards?

Thanks,
Michael

Seeing there are other groups... I would like to see us utilize those for those topics.. rather then to recreate one since there are others.. Which was the possible outcome of the POLL..

Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA <JKutche@...>

I can do that.. Try to anyway, I also would not mind starting one if needed... if the one or two I find are nopt general enough..
Give me a bit.. First day back from vacation.... and I am backlogged a bit...

:)

Could you provide links for the groups focusing on ham radio with small, inexpensive Linux boards?

Thanks,
Michael

Seeing there are other groups... I would like to see us utilize those for those topics.. rather then to recreate one since there are others.. Which was the possible outcome of the POLL..

Don Weber

To get the  information on the  pi

And  running  dvap and   ircddb  and pcrepeatercontroller

 looking to new projects for the Pi I am already reading  4 lists and the  volume of  posts gets daunting

 for me

Ka7qqv Alameda ca

Oh ya  and  work Emails

Could you provide links for the groups focusing on ham radio with small, inexpensive Linux boards?

Thanks,
Michael

Seeing there are other groups... I would like to see us utilize those for those topics.. rather then to recreate one since there are others.. Which was the possible outcome of the POLL..

Michael O'Bannon

If you want this group to be exclusive to the RPi, starting another group would be a good idea.  It would be interesting to know if applications that work, but only poorly, on the RPi (fldigi under Raspbian, for instance) could be run on the faster boards more successfully.

73,
Michael  KD4SGN