PI TNC - progress report.

John G8BPQ

Hi,

For those fairly new to the group, I have been working on a TNC for use with the pI that is the same size as the pi and plugs into the expansion header. The prototype was a TNC-X, with a 26 way header superglued to board. There is a photo of it on the home page of this group.

I've now received the first PCB's, and built a couple. There are photos at  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1300001.JPG and https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31910649/S1300002.JPG. The TNC is largely based on the TNC-X, but I've replaced the serial port with an i2c connection, so more than one can be connected to the PI. The current board has a mini-DIN  radio connector, but I find mini-DIN plugs very difficult to wire, and the connector is just too high to stack properly, so the final version will probably have a DB9. I've written a linux driver that takes the i2c data stream, and converts to a pty that can be used with the normal linux ax.25 kissattach program. All this seems to be working.

I've a couple of developments in the pipeline. One is to replace the MX 614 modem, hopefully with a PIC based solution. Although the 614 works very well, it is relatively exensive, and only works at 1200 baud. I hope to be able to run at 300 for HF use. I've also bought a couple of RFM22B modules. These are tiny 100 mW 434MHz data tranceivers - see http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/General/RFM22B.pdf. I plan to do a version of the TNC using this module.

A version using the FX 489 modem for 9600 baud links is planned, nut I haven't started work on that yet.

73, John G8BPQ

ve2hom Pascal <ve2hom@...>

Hi John,
    This sound very cool, give us news about your project.  Do you plan to make these board available to sell ?

73 de Pascal
ve2hom

Le 20/09/12 16:27, John Wiseman a écrit :

[...]

How about the RFM12BP for a bit more punch?

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=157

Cool projects -- looking forward to them being available...

73
Bill - WA7NWP

sierrapermaculture <paul@...>

Just curious, but how could such low-power transceivers be of any practical use for packet? Wouldn't the RF footprint be so limited that hardly anyone in the neighborhood would be able to use it? Am I missing something here... or is the plan to use an amplifier for wider coverage?

Paul

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

These are tiny 100 mW 434MHz data tranceivers - see
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Wireless/General/RFM22B.pdf. I plan to do
a version of the TNC using this module.
How about the RFM12BP for a bit more punch?

https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=157

Paul,

Look at what people are doing with Wi-Fi routers; if I'm not mistaken, those don't put out much more power and people can get ranges of up to 10 miles out of them with directional antennas.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

(Generic geek :-) )

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android