Date   

Re: raspberry pi for packet radio

kc7klz
 

Hi,

I used a USB to Serial adapter.  I did get it to work sort of.  I was attaching to my Kantronics KPC-3 through minicom.  I could get it to recognize the serial port, but when I slowed it down to 1200 baud, it crashed. (locked up)  I had to log into the unit via SSH and tell it to re-boot to get the unit to recover.  I'm getting a TTL to serial adapter, and I'm going to hook that up to the GPIO ports.  I'm thinking this will be a little cleaner than an adapter.  

I can get it to work on my Ubuntu box with the same cables, using the same software.  So I know it should work.

'73

Eric Scott
KC7KLZ


From: John Wiseman
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2012 11:14 AM
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] raspberry pi for packet radio

 
Pascal,
 
The PI GPIO pins operate at 3.3 volts, and the PI is likely to be damaged by applying 5 volts from a normal TTL port. You will need a level converter on the TNC to PI lead. I used a simple resistor divider. Most TTL inputs are happy with the lower voltage from the PI.
Normally the PI linux kernel allocates the serial port as a console. You need to disable this to use it for packet.
I've used the linux ax.25 and netrom code, and the linux node. I haven't tried jnos.
 
73,
John
 


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of ve2hom
Sent: 08 September 2012 18:30
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] raspberry pi for packet radio

 
Hello all,
I have a raspberry pi and I want to use it for making a packet radio server. I have think to use jnos2 and I want to connect it with my mfj-1270c tnc. This one have a ttl port on the back, can I connect it directly to the GPIO port of the raspberry pi?

Other question, if I try to use a usb to serial adaptor when I attach the port an arror says "protocol error", don't know if it's because jnos don't like usb serial port. Any clue?

Tnx
73' de Pascal
ve2hom




pi for packet radio

John G8BPQ
 

The standard rasbian distribution now includes the ax.25 and netrom modules. You no longer need a special kernel. Yesterday I created a new image from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/raspbian/2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian/2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip, ran apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, and the new Kernal (3.2.27) had all the packet modules.
 
73
John G8BPQ


Re: raspberry pi for packet radio

John G8BPQ
 

Pascal,
 
The PI GPIO pins operate at 3.3 volts, and the PI is likely to be damaged by applying 5 volts from a normal TTL port. You will need a level converter on the TNC to PI lead. I used a simple resistor divider. Most TTL inputs are happy with the lower voltage from the PI.
Normally the PI linux kernel allocates the serial port as a console. You need to disable this to use it for packet.
I've used the linux ax.25 and netrom code, and the linux node. I haven't tried jnos.
 
73,
John
 


From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of ve2hom
Sent: 08 September 2012 18:30
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] raspberry pi for packet radio

 

Hello all,
I have a raspberry pi and I want to use it for making a packet radio server. I have think to use jnos2 and I want to connect it with my mfj-1270c tnc. This one have a ttl port on the back, can I connect it directly to the GPIO port of the raspberry pi?

Other question, if I try to use a usb to serial adaptor when I attach the port an arror says "protocol error", don't know if it's because jnos don't like usb serial port. Any clue?

Tnx
73' de Pascal
ve2hom


raspberry pi for packet radio

ve2hom <ve2hom@...>
 

Hello all,
I have a raspberry pi and I want to use it for making a packet radio server. I have think to use jnos2 and I want to connect it with my mfj-1270c tnc. This one have a ttl port on the back, can I connect it directly to the GPIO port of the raspberry pi?

Other question, if I try to use a usb to serial adaptor when I attach the port an arror says "protocol error", don't know if it's because jnos don't like usb serial port. Any clue?

Tnx
73' de Pascal
ve2hom


Re: Raspberry Pi to be made in the UK!

Jack Chomley <vk4jrc@...>
 


On 08/09/2012, at 12:40 AM, "g1kqh" <g1kqh@...> wrote:

Great! I will wait for UK production before I buy one :-)

73,

Jack VK4JRC



Re: Raspberry Pi to be made in the UK!

Jack Chomley <vk4jrc@...>
 


On 08/09/2012, at 12:40 AM, "g1kqh" <g1kqh@...> wrote:


Raspberry Pi to be made in the UK!

G1KQH
 


Member Intro G1KQH

G1KQH
 

Steve here,

Use to run an AX25 mailbox sometime ago for many years (GB7RUG), and I might bring this back to online status, access via just the internet for starters, if I could run this all on a PI? So really I am appealing to Paula PZT and John BPQ to write some stuff for the PI to support the application. I would also like the software to be user friendly, not hours of trawling through to make it all work! Yes, I am getting a bit older these days and don't think as quick as I did when we ran these FBB based systems 15 years or so ago.

Have not invested in any units yet, as I am a bit confused what main version of Linux is going to be the main supported one for Amateur Radio operation etc? I guess thought seeing that CPC/Farnell now have stock I will be buying a couple of units to play with during this Winter.

I also have interest in using the PI with WSPR and PSK31, and driving a few rigs like the FT2000 etc, so plenty for folk to go at and get it over onto the PI system.



73 Steve

G1KQH


Re: Progress? (Long)

J FLETCHER
 

Thanks very much, I'll try that when I have a few minutes to play.
 
73,
 
John


--- On Thu, 6/9/12, javeaflat wrote:

From: javeaflat
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Progress? (Long)
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Date: Thursday, 6 September, 2012, 18:14

 
Hi John,

I am using the Debian wheezy image and found the screen to small

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

This shows settings for the configuration file
I plugged my card into windows machine and edited with programmer's file editor which recognise linux end of line unlike notepad.

Select a lower resolution for larger text and try different settings to get a full screen.

If you want more on this I'll post my file so you can see the changes I made. I assume these settings are valid for various versions of the operating system not just debian.

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., J FLETCHER wrote:
>
> Hi All!
>  
> Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.
>
> Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.
>  
> John G4EDX
> Nottingham, England
>


Member Intro Ian M0BXR

javeaflat
 

Hi Iam Ian M0BXR.

Have worked with windows computers for a number of years.

For modes like WSPA and QRSS which run continuously the Raspberry Pi
should be very useful. Much better too leave on all the time amd no noisy fans in the shack.

Should be an opportunity to learn more about Linux and programming and to get some interesting projects working. At the price they are they can be built into dedicated systems.

Also interested in hardware projects which interface with the pi.


Re: Database of RPi Ham Radio Applications

javeaflat
 

Good work Bill, its great to have all that information in one place.
Ian.

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, Bill Shell <n6ws@...> wrote:

Jerry,

I went ahead right after I sent the email and started the database in
the database area of the Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO Group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO/database

Any member of the group can edit or add new records to the database. I
encourage all members to add Ham Radio application as they try them,
whether they are successful or not.

73, Bill
N6WS

On 08/27/2012 08:10 AM, Kutche, Jerry (Mitchell) USA wrote:

Sounds great to me...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*From:* Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com] *On Behalf Of *n6ws
*Sent:* Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:26 PM
*To:* Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
*Subject:* [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Database of RPi Ham Radio
Applications

All,

I'm new to the group, but I would like to suggest beginning a database
of ham radio applications for the Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO Group. The
database could contain information on various applications that have
successfully or unsuccessfully been ported to or installed on the
Raspberry Pi platform.

Application - Name of the application
Type - A descriptor of the application (Satellite, RTTY, JT65, etc.)
Website - URL of the application
OS - Flavor of OS & Version (Debian Wheezy, Android 4.0, Arch 13-06-2012)
RPi - Version of board (B-256, B-512, C-1G, etc)
Successful - Yes, No (Successfulness of installation)
Members - Members having installed application
Additional Instructions - URL for RPi installation instructions
General Information - General information

Would the group members find this information useful?

73, Bill
N6WS


Re: Introduction

javeaflat
 

Had a mailing from CPC today the Raspberry pi is free delivery if you order on part code sc1259002, in stock at 24-96 + VAT
Order by phone and pay by credit card.

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "javeaflat" <ian@...> wrote:


I have dealt with cpc and farnell for many years, if they have it in stock you can collect the same day from CPC's counter in Preston so ring round and see who has it.
Ian


--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <g8pzt@> wrote:

Hi John,

I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.

No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)

Something else to swallow up my time, lol!

73, Paula
----- Original Message -----
From: John Wiseman
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 7:05 AM
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Introduction





Hi Paula,



About a month ago I ordered one from Farnell, and despite being quoted 6 weeks it arrived in two days. This may have been a fluke, but the waiting list seems to be disappearing..



If your ax.25 code (like mine) is largely in assembler, then porting to the pi won't be easy, but C shouldn't present too many problems. But linux already has ax.25 and Netrom stacks, so you can take the higher level stuff, and hook it into the existing stacks.



73, John G8BPQ




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paula
Sent: 26 August 2012 23:11
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Introduction





Hi all, I'm Paula G8PZT and I don't yet own a Pi but would very much like to
:-)

My interest is in writing software for data-over-radio networking, VOIP, and
SDR. Also have emcomms in the back of my mind.

I am hoping to port my applications to the Pi, so I can junk the power
hungry and space wasting PC's that power my packet systems and VOIP
repeater. I'd also like to develop new applications to take advantage of
this exciting little device.

I have very little experience of Linux, being mainly a spare-time DOS and
Windows programmer (asm/c/c++), but I'm hoping this device will finally give
me the push I needed to get my apps ported to Linux.

Now I just need to buy one, or more... ;-) [I was told there was a big
waiting list, so I waited for the rush to die down]

73, Paula


Re: No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

 

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Donald <tambeaud@...> wrote:
 

Still trying to get my D-LINK DWA-131 to work with my rasp pi?
Has anyone got one working?
Don
VE3HOL




Re: Introduction

javeaflat
 

I have dealt with cpc and farnell for many years, if they have it in stck you can collect the same day from CPC's counter in Preston so ring round and see who has it.
Ian

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, "Paula" <g8pzt@...> wrote:

Hi John,

I assumed the likes of Farnell and CPC were still trade-only, so I was thinking I might have trouble getting anyone to sell to me.

No I don't fancy learning another machine language at my age so it'll be strictly "C", and I'll use as many of the existing hooks as possible. No point in reinventing the wheel if the wheel works ;-)

Something else to swallow up my time, lol!

73, Paula
----- Original Message -----
From: John Wiseman
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 7:05 AM
Subject: RE: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Introduction





Hi Paula,



About a month ago I ordered one from Farnell, and despite being quoted 6 weeks it arrived in two days. This may have been a fluke, but the waiting list seems to be disappearing..



If your ax.25 code (like mine) is largely in assembler, then porting to the pi won't be easy, but C shouldn't present too many problems. But linux already has ax.25 and Netrom stacks, so you can take the higher level stuff, and hook it into the existing stacks.



73, John G8BPQ




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paula
Sent: 26 August 2012 23:11
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Introduction





Hi all, I'm Paula G8PZT and I don't yet own a Pi but would very much like to
:-)

My interest is in writing software for data-over-radio networking, VOIP, and
SDR. Also have emcomms in the back of my mind.

I am hoping to port my applications to the Pi, so I can junk the power
hungry and space wasting PC's that power my packet systems and VOIP
repeater. I'd also like to develop new applications to take advantage of
this exciting little device.

I have very little experience of Linux, being mainly a spare-time DOS and
Windows programmer (asm/c/c++), but I'm hoping this device will finally give
me the push I needed to get my apps ported to Linux.

Now I just need to buy one, or more... ;-) [I was told there was a big
waiting list, so I waited for the rush to die down]

73, Paula


No help? Wireless D-LINK DWA-131

Donald <tambeaud@...>
 

Still trying to get my D-LINK DWA-131 to work with my rasp pi?
Has anyone got one working?
Don
VE3HOL


Re: Progress? (Long)

javeaflat
 

Hi John,

I am using the Debian wheezy image and found the screen to small

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5021

This shows settings for the configuration file
I plugged my card into windows machine and edited with programmer's file editor which recognise linux end of line unlike notepad.

Select a lower resolution for larger text and try different settings to get a full screen.

If you want more on this I'll post my file so you can see the changes I made. I assume these settings are valid for various versions of the operating system not just debian.

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com, J FLETCHER <jfletcher427@...> wrote:

Hi All!
 
Just a few lines to tell you what I'm up to.

Back at home I tried using it with the HDMI input on our oldish LCD TV. It isn't Full HD and the text at start-up is incredibly small and hard to read. When the desktop appears the icons are small, too. Connecting the same TV via the phono socket the text and icons are a reasonable size, but the bottom of the picture is lost ("off the screen"). This makes playing some of the Python games impossible. I was able to browse the web, though. I've also downloaded Geany, Python and Xterm following the instructions on a YouTube tutorial.
 
John G4EDX
Nottingham, England


Wireless Adapter not regnonized

Donald <tambeaud@...>
 

According to: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals ...the wireless USB Adapter D-Link DWA-131 is compatiblem with the Rasp PI. Here is what the above website says about it:

DWA-131 USB ID 07d1:3303,Realtek RTL8192SU, 802.11n Wireless N Nano. Works out of the box on Raspbian "wheezy". Verified with direct USB : no powered USB hub needed. Also verified when Nano used in powered USB hub. Someone had trouble configuring SSID/Passphrase in etc/network/interfaces file. But no problem & very easy to configure using wicd : wicd is a gui interface on LXDE for network configuration. Install it using command-line : apt-get install wicd. Once configured ith wicd to auto-run on boot, no need to turn back to LXDE. Recommended.

I install wicd but no sure what to do next. How do I configure it with wicd?
Don
VE3HOL


Re: Raspbian Pices R3

Silverfox
 

I did an rpi-update followed by apt-get update.  When I plug in the Microsoft RF keyboard all I get is a constant stream of resets on high speed USB port.  Whatever has been touched, it changed the symptoms.

73,

Alan – W6ARH

 

From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...] On Behalf Of ferrymanr
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 2:30 AM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Raspbian Pices R3

 

 


The current release 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian is a good basis but the latest firmware update is essetial. If you have not run "rpi-update" you will need to. This utility updates the firmware and related files. If you do not have the utility installed you can get instructions from https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update. The latest firmware seems to cure almost all my USB problems. I can now get all my sound devices, powered hubs and keyboards working without errors (except when RF gets into the USB cables). You still need to do the apt-get udate and apt-get upgrade afterwards to make sure your software is up to date.
Dick G4BBH

--- In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., "The Silver Fox" <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:
>
> I loaded it up on my RPI and I plugged in my Microsoft Wireless keyboard.
> It was no great surprise that it doesn't play well. This isn't about that
> particular problem but it sets the context for the following. I keep
> getting USB resets with this release. I did not get those with other
> versions of OS. The system recognizes the devices and labels them Ok but
> the keyboard randomly repeats typed input until stopped. For those who
> will suggest USB power, I did plug in a powered USB hub and hung the
> wireless off it. No difference in behavior.
>
> 73,
>
> Alan - W6ARH
>
>
>
> <http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/> http://mobokits.stormwarning.org/
>
> <http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html> http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html
>


Re: Compatible Hardware

Donald J. Tambeau <tambeaud@...>
 

Thank you...exactly what I was looking for!
Don
VE3HOL
 

Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Compatible Hardware
 
 

There is a whole community for RasPi support resources list at  http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard (a good place for general, non Ham specific support) 

 



John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Alan Hill <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:
 

Check the older messages.  Microsoft RF peripherals don't seem to play well with currently available OS's.

Alan - W6ARH

On Sep 3, 2012 5:54 PM, "Donald" <tambeaud@...> wrote:
 

Hello I have just downloaded the wheezy-raspbian.zip using my Window 7 machine. I unzipped it and copied it to my SD 4 GB card using Win32DiskImager. I was surprise to see the Raspberry Pi load up! My first try! My monitor had a DVI connector, so I had to purchase a DVI to HMDI adapter. I also have connected to my large flat Samsung TV. This is were I would like to keep it. I now want to purchase a WIFI dongle and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I would like advise as to which make and model of dongle, keyboard and mouse that will work with the Raspberry. Is there a list of compatible hardware anywhere?
Thank you
Don
VE3HOL


Re: Compatible Hardware

 

There is a whole community for RasPi support resources list at  http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard (a good place for general, non Ham specific support) 




John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Alan Hill <alan.r.hill@...> wrote:
 

Check the older messages.  Microsoft RF peripherals don't seem to play well with currently available OS's.

Alan - W6ARH

On Sep 3, 2012 5:54 PM, "Donald" <tambeaud@...> wrote:
 

Hello I have just downloaded the wheezy-raspbian.zip using my Window 7 machine. I unzipped it and copied it to my SD 4 GB card using Win32DiskImager. I was surprise to see the Raspberry Pi load up! My first try! My monitor had a DVI connector, so I had to purchase a DVI to HMDI adapter. I also have connected to my large flat Samsung TV. This is were I would like to keep it. I now want to purchase a WIFI dongle and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I would like advise as to which make and model of dongle, keyboard and mouse that will work with the Raspberry. Is there a list of compatible hardware anywhere?
Thank you
Don
VE3HOL

13241 - 13260 of 13315