Date   

Re: Problems with thumbdrive backup #hampi

Paul 5B8BA
 

Take a look at The Ultimate Guide to Backup and Restore your Raspberry Pi

Gives several methods including dd, rsync, over network, compacting files, adding/removing files, scheduling backups.

HTH

Paul, 5B8BA


Re: QDX

Dave R
 

I don’t know. It's very limited as it can't do SSB, RTTY, PSK, CW. etc. 73


On Thu, Nov 4, 2021, 10:12 ohwenzelph via groups.io <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What software or package of software would you install on a raspberry pi 4, with a solid state hard drive, to use with a QRPLabs QDX?
jt aa1of


Re: QDX

David Ranch
 


The QRPLabs QDX documentation covers this:

   https://qrp-labs.com/images/qdx/manual_1_04.pdf

      - Section 3- Operating Instructions
         - WSJT-X
         - JS8Call
        
      - The Section 4 "Summary" in the PDF talks of how this unit generally works and the best I can tell, it generally only works with "single tone" modems and not with more complex signals like say PSK, QAM, etc. but that's just my speculation.

--David
KI6ZHD

  


On 11/04/2021 10:12 AM, ohwenzelph via groups.io wrote:
QRPLabs QDX


QDX

ohwenzelph
 

What software or package of software would you install on a raspberry pi 4, with a solid state hard drive, to use with a QRPLabs QDX?
jt aa1of


Re: Won't boot up

Ron - KA7RLM
 

Yes, iPhones are very fussy and problematic with this configuration, Go to the W-Fi section of the Pi-Star Support Group and search for answers. If you can't find a solution, then post your question to the group but please use the search feature first. These questions have been asked many times before.

Here is the link:   https://forum.pistar.uk


-Ron
73 de KA7RLM


Re: Won't boot up

mikenjapan@...
 

I did finally get a message from the seller (Mostly in Chinese) but they did give a link showing what version of Pi-Star to use. It,s loading now that I flashed it onto the card. I wish the screen would work again (I thought it was kind of cool and I could tell when it was running) but that's a small issue.


Re: Won't boot up

Kelly Keeton
 

There is a security setting on apple to check - maximize compatibility 


Inline image




Excuse typos and brevity, sent from a mobile device.

On Wednesday, November 3, 2021, 5:58 AM, Nigel Gunn, G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel@...> wrote:

You're biggest issue might be having an iPhone. I've seen far more people post wifi connection problems with iPhones than Android phones.


> On 03/11/2021 01:49 mikenjapan via groups.io <mikenjapan=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>
> I bought a hotspot from Ebay (China) and it was working great. I wanted to configure it to use in my truck so I changed the wifi info to my iphone hotspot info. I could connect to the pi through my phone. It looked good and talked from the radio to hotspot but not out to the internet, so I rebooted. Dashboard Came up but said it wasn't connected to ??the interface?? (Sorry, I don't remember but basically in the area where the wifi info is on the dashboard) and not connected to wifi. I trie3d putting in the wifi info but it wouldn't take. It would not connect and then empty the name and password fields. I tried it again by saving changes and rebooting. Nothing. It won't boot up at all. I have tried different versions of Pi-star and flashed them onto an SD card and none will boot up. What am I doing wrong?
>

Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net






Re: Won't boot up

 

You're biggest issue might be having an iPhone. I've seen far more people post wifi connection problems with iPhones than Android phones.


On 03/11/2021 01:49 mikenjapan via groups.io <mikenjapan@...> wrote:


I bought a hotspot from Ebay (China) and it was working great. I wanted to configure it to use in my truck so I changed the wifi info to my iphone hotspot info. I could connect to the pi through my phone. It looked good and talked from the radio to hotspot but not out to the internet, so I rebooted. Dashboard Came up but said it wasn't connected to ??the interface?? (Sorry, I don't remember but basically in the area where the wifi info is on the dashboard) and not connected to wifi. I trie3d putting in the wifi info but it wouldn't take. It would not connect and then empty the name and password fields. I tried it again by saving changes and rebooting. Nothing. It won't boot up at all. I have tried different versions of Pi-star and flashed them onto an SD card and none will boot up. What am I doing wrong?
Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel@... www http://www.ngunn.net


Won't boot up

mikenjapan@...
 

I bought a hotspot from Ebay (China) and it was working great. I wanted to configure it to use in my truck so I changed the wifi info to my iphone hotspot info. I could connect to the pi through my phone. It looked good and talked from the radio to hotspot but not out to the internet, so I rebooted. Dashboard Came up but said it wasn't connected to ??the interface?? (Sorry, I don't remember but basically in the area where the wifi info is on the dashboard) and not connected to wifi. I trie3d putting in the wifi info but it wouldn't take. It would not connect and then empty the name and password fields. I tried it again by saving changes and rebooting. Nothing. It won't boot up at all. I have tried different versions of Pi-star and flashed them onto an SD card and none will boot up. What am I doing wrong?


Re: Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

Jeremy Edwards
 

Spitballing an idea....

I wonder if you might consider setting up a HTML page with live system info on the PI...

...and then use a free monitoring tool like uptime robot to get your emails:



Jeremy Edwards

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."


On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 8:05 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Mike,

I've done something similar with detecting when my well pump comes on.
The email part was pretty straight forward because Linux has a number of
command line email clients.

I used:
  mutt - email client
  postfix - email server
  paclink-unix - winlink support

For the AC detection circuit I used a Linrose B2150A3 Amber Neon Pilot light as
an Opto-isolated AC Voltage Sensor. Some links below for reference:

* [[https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=403547.0 | How to detect AC voltage (not measuring)]]
* [[https://www.hackster.io/porrey/vacsensor-0fe427 | Opto-Isolated AC Voltage Sensor]] - Daniel Porrey
* [[https://www.amazon.com/Linrose-B2150A3-Amber-105-125VAC-Pilot/dp/B008JFSOQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439643695&sr=8-3&keywords=Linrose+pilot+light | Linrose B2150A3 Amber 105-125VAC Neon Pilot Light]]

I would run the RPi from 12 Volts using some buck regulator.

/Basil n7nix






Re: Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

Basil Gunn
 

Mike,

I've done something similar with detecting when my well pump comes on.
The email part was pretty straight forward because Linux has a number of
command line email clients.

I used:
mutt - email client
postfix - email server
paclink-unix - winlink support

For the AC detection circuit I used a Linrose B2150A3 Amber Neon Pilot light as
an Opto-isolated AC Voltage Sensor. Some links below for reference:

* [[https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=403547.0 | How to detect AC voltage (not measuring)]]
* [[https://www.hackster.io/porrey/vacsensor-0fe427 | Opto-Isolated AC Voltage Sensor]] - Daniel Porrey
* [[https://www.amazon.com/Linrose-B2150A3-Amber-105-125VAC-Pilot/dp/B008JFSOQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1439643695&sr=8-3&keywords=Linrose+pilot+light | Linrose B2150A3 Amber 105-125VAC Neon Pilot Light]]

I would run the RPi from 12 Volts using some buck regulator.

/Basil n7nix


Re: Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

Bill Buhler
 

Hi,

I've lashed together things like this in the past as one off shell scripts.

For the email side I suggest smtp-cli running on a raspberry pi, there is a walk through at http://www.logix.cz/michal/devel/smtp-cli/ . It supports smtp authentication, which will let you use a modern mail service like Gmail, outlook.com, etc to be the sending mailbox. For ease I would just build one service email address on one of the free services and then use the subject line to specify the site the message originated from. 

You could write a script that checks the gpio pin status controlled by your relay / wall wart every minute or two and based on that sends a message for either power up or down. With another script that triggers at boot time to announce it has booted and the ac mains state.

Finally cron can be set to send a watchdog email x times a day with the system uptime listed for comfort that everything is working as planned.

Best of luck!

73 - Bill Buhler AF7SJ 






-------- Original message --------
From: M M <wa6ilq@...>
Date: 11/1/21 2:40 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

Does anybody have something like the below already operational?
or even close?
We have a few repeaters at hilltop sites...  each site has internet,
and around 400 AH of 12 volt battery.   Each site as internet brought
in via an Ubiquity 5 gig microwave shot.  The Ubiquity and the router
are run off the 12 volt battery.

And occasionally a site loses AC power.

We'd like to set up a Pi (connected to the router via an ethernet
cable) to run off the battery bank and use a 5 volt wall wart to
function as the local AC power sensor.  Or maybe the wall wart
drives a relay coil and the relay contacts are used to tell the
Pi that the AC power has failed.

On a power fail we'd like the Pi to send an email message to a list
of addresses (probably 8 to 10 addresses)...   Something like
"AC power has failed at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)"...
i.e. "AC power has failed at Mike's house at 14:30 on Sunday
October 31 2021".

Then when AC power returns it goes through it's cold boot cycle
and then sends an email (to the same list)... something like
"AC power has returned at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)".

And every so often (settable) it sends a status message to a
separate list of email addresses... something like "(site name)
AC power monitor is on line, the last power fail was at (time)
on (day of week) (date), last power return was at (time) on
(day of week) (date)".  Initially the status email will probably
be daily at noon, but once the folks are comfortable that
the unit is reliable the status messages will probably be
backed off to weekly.

Note that when the Pi cold boots it has to note the time,
day and date from it's RTC board, then it needs to wait a
minute or so (to allow the microwave internet link to
re-establish), then pings the us.ntp.org server to verify
the link is actually up (and BTW to verify the actual time
and date).

Comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

I don't mind buying a commercial product as
long as there isn't a  monthly charge and it's
a stand-alone device (i.e. not cloud based).

Thanks in advance

Mike WA6ILQ   (callsign //at// gmail //dot// com)



Re: Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

Mark Griffith
 

Hi,

While you can easily monitor the power, the email thing becomes complicated.

Software to send an email exists for the Pi and depending upon which software you use, can be difficult or less difficult to set up.  The problem is in getting to an email hosting site over the Internet.  The email software on the Pi needs to be setup with a ""host" defined, which is an email server on the Internet that agrees to accept and process your email.  Getting that part done is not simple and there are all sorts of blocks put in the way to prevent little email systems from doing this to hold down the email spam that exists.

I have done this myself for several corporations (before I retired) and it's a royal pain in the kiester.

However, I have setup a system where I use a PiGate RMS device to do this by using the Winlink system has the email host.  This assumes you have a Winlink account, which is free.

In this system, you could have the PiGate RMS monitor a couple pins on the GPIO that are connected to a 120V relay.  When the power goes out the pins are shorted and the power outage detected.  Then you wait some time and keep checking the pins to see if they remain shorted.  This prevents sending an email on just a power blip.  Then the software composes and sends and email through the Internet to your email address, as long as it is not your Winlink address.

You could probably do something similar using a regular PiGate to send the email over a VHF radio connection to a Winlink RMS station.  Or perhaps use PAT.

Once you get over the email thing, it's pretty simple.

I have a commercial device at my shack which is 16 miles away from my home.  It monitors power, temperature, and for flooding, but it uses a landline to make a call to my cell phone.  It was not expensive.  There are, I believe, commercial power monitors that will use the Internet, but they work by updating a host site which then sends email to you.  This is not very cheap.

Some food for thought.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Mon, Nov 1, 2021, 3:40 AM M M <wa6ilq@...> wrote:

Does anybody have something like the below already operational?
or even close?
We have a few repeaters at hilltop sites...  each site has internet,
and around 400 AH of 12 volt battery.   Each site as internet brought
in via an Ubiquity 5 gig microwave shot.  The Ubiquity and the router
are run off the 12 volt battery.

And occasionally a site loses AC power.

We'd like to set up a Pi (connected to the router via an ethernet
cable) to run off the battery bank and use a 5 volt wall wart to
function as the local AC power sensor.  Or maybe the wall wart
drives a relay coil and the relay contacts are used to tell the
Pi that the AC power has failed.

On a power fail we'd like the Pi to send an email message to a list
of addresses (probably 8 to 10 addresses)...   Something like
"AC power has failed at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)"...
i.e. "AC power has failed at Mike's house at 14:30 on Sunday
October 31 2021".

Then when AC power returns it goes through it's cold boot cycle
and then sends an email (to the same list)... something like
"AC power has returned at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)".

And every so often (settable) it sends a status message to a
separate list of email addresses... something like "(site name)
AC power monitor is on line, the last power fail was at (time)
on (day of week) (date), last power return was at (time) on
(day of week) (date)".  Initially the status email will probably
be daily at noon, but once the folks are comfortable that
the unit is reliable the status messages will probably be
backed off to weekly.

Note that when the Pi cold boots it has to note the time,
day and date from it's RTC board, then it needs to wait a
minute or so (to allow the microwave internet link to
re-establish), then pings the us.ntp.org server to verify
the link is actually up (and BTW to verify the actual time
and date).

Comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

I don't mind buying a commercial product as
long as there isn't a  monthly charge and it's
a stand-alone device (i.e. not cloud based).

Thanks in advance

Mike WA6ILQ   (callsign //at// gmail //dot// com)



Re: Problems with thumbdrive backup #hampi

M M
 

Don't do it on just one thumb drive. 

I've had them die with no warning...
the failure modes I've seen are:

1) go to totally not there with no warning.
2) "Disk is unreadable, must be formatted"
3) go to read-only with no warning... at least that one is copyable to a new drive.
4) display a message "Insert a disk into drive (letter)" where the (letter) is what the drive's letter was yesterday.

I've got a 256 gig one that is in the last state right now and haven't a clue as to how to get the data back.


Before I go reinventing someone elses wheel....

M M
 

Does anybody have something like the below already operational?
or even close?
We have a few repeaters at hilltop sites...  each site has internet,
and around 400 AH of 12 volt battery.   Each site as internet brought
in via an Ubiquity 5 gig microwave shot.  The Ubiquity and the router
are run off the 12 volt battery.

And occasionally a site loses AC power.

We'd like to set up a Pi (connected to the router via an ethernet
cable) to run off the battery bank and use a 5 volt wall wart to
function as the local AC power sensor.  Or maybe the wall wart
drives a relay coil and the relay contacts are used to tell the
Pi that the AC power has failed.

On a power fail we'd like the Pi to send an email message to a list
of addresses (probably 8 to 10 addresses)...   Something like
"AC power has failed at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)"...
i.e. "AC power has failed at Mike's house at 14:30 on Sunday
October 31 2021".

Then when AC power returns it goes through it's cold boot cycle
and then sends an email (to the same list)... something like
"AC power has returned at (site name) at (local time) on
(day of week) (date)".

And every so often (settable) it sends a status message to a
separate list of email addresses... something like "(site name)
AC power monitor is on line, the last power fail was at (time)
on (day of week) (date), last power return was at (time) on
(day of week) (date)".  Initially the status email will probably
be daily at noon, but once the folks are comfortable that
the unit is reliable the status messages will probably be
backed off to weekly.

Note that when the Pi cold boots it has to note the time,
day and date from it's RTC board, then it needs to wait a
minute or so (to allow the microwave internet link to
re-establish), then pings the us.ntp.org server to verify
the link is actually up (and BTW to verify the actual time
and date).

Comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

I don't mind buying a commercial product as
long as there isn't a  monthly charge and it's
a stand-alone device (i.e. not cloud based).

Thanks in advance

Mike WA6ILQ   (callsign //at// gmail //dot// com)



Re: I have a new to me Raspberry Pi board

vince kd7tww
 

Group

Free, did it for me. Thanks loads! Case closed


On 10/29/21 12:46 PM, David Ranch via groups.io wrote:

A few recommendations to run from the command line:

    free
      - This will show the amount of RAM populated, used (for programs and cache)

   cat /proc/cpuinfo
      - This will list the type and number of CPU cores

   bash <(wget -q -O - "http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/RPi/usr/local/bin/review-rpi-cpu.sh")
      - This will download a script I put together to show lots of additional details specific to the Raspberry Pi


For different Rpi pictures, showing the differences, use a Internet search of "pictures of all raspberry pi models" will bring up many examples

--David
KI6ZHD


On 10/29/2021 11:20 AM, vince kd7tww wrote:
Hello Group

I have a new to me Pi board. How do I check the specs of a RPi Board on the command line. I.E. Cpu, mem?

On top of the RPi board it just notes it's a Raspberry Pi 4B but does not say the amount of memory? Also, is there a pictorial (picture of different RPi's) displaying the different versions (Component layouts)?  TIA


-- 
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)


Re: I have a new to me Raspberry Pi board

Kelly Keeton
 

Jon, there is a unsubscribe and mute topic button on the bottom of every email you receive if you were not aware how to properly exit the room. 

Excuse typos and brevity, sent from a mobile device.

On Friday, October 29, 2021, 12:00 PM, Jon Moran <jon@...> wrote:

I'm done with this group


Re: I have a new to me Raspberry Pi board

Dave R
 

Hey Vince, try pi-stats. Do you have a linux OS running on the subject device? 73


On Fri, Oct 29, 2021, 11:20 vince kd7tww <vince@...> wrote:
Hello Group

I have a new to me Pi board. How do I check the specs of a RPi Board on
the command line. I.E. Cpu, mem?

On top of the RPi board it just notes it's a Raspberry Pi 4B but does
not say the amount of memory? Also, is there a pictorial (picture of
different RPi's) displaying the different versions (Component layouts)?  TIA

--
73, de Vince KD7TWW
In what year did the FCC mandate the 1500 Watt PEP limit for amateur radio station
power output? - Motorola Corp was formally named
"Galvin Manufacturing Corporation" (1928–1947)







Re: I have a new to me Raspberry Pi board

Jon Moran
 

I'm done with this group


Re: I have a new to me Raspberry Pi board

Larry Dighera
 

Vince,

Give these commands a try:

lscpu
cpuinfo
cat /proc/cpuinfo
lshw

If you need to install any of those, try something like this

Apt-get update
apt-get <package name>

Best regards,
Larry
WB6BBB

On Fri, 29 Oct 2021 12:20:15 -0600, "vince kd7tww" <vince@...> wrote:


I have a new to me Pi board. How do I check the specs of a RPi Board on
the command line. I.E. Cpu, mem?

501 - 520 of 14467