Re: 12V Power for the Pi (was Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Getting back to the RPi)

Daniel Holmes

That was the device that led me to find the MoPi. The only thing that stopped me from building that one was the requirement the mains supply is 14.2V. The MoPi combines their PWRMAN project too.

My GoBox project will have external power and charger inputs--the MoPi will run off internal batteries or external supply, then charge them automatically without trouble. I haven’t quite worked out the power distribution or requirements yet, but getting there. Another upside of the MoPi, is the charger circuitry is pass through—meaning it’ll still charge LiFePo4 batteries with the appropriate charger. $35 or so IIRC.

Dan
--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin

On Dec 24, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Tadd KA2DEW in NC via Groups.Io <tadd@...> wrote:

Here’s another idea for running a PI for 12v.

This is a schematic and suggested parts for a trivial home-brew battery backup solution.  It was designed for base-station use.
It doesn’t have automation for shutting down the PI, and it could be a bit large, but it will keep power glitches from killing the Raspberry PI and it will keep the Raspberry PI up while transporting it for a couple of hours.  It costs about $25US as pictured.

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd@...
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html
North Carolina Packet Radio Network: http://ncpacket.net/north_carolina_packet_network.html
Local Raleigh ham radio info: http://torborg.com/a

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.

Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

Dan