Re: 12V Power for the Pi (was Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Getting back to the RPi)

Here’s another idea for running a PI for 12v.

This is a schematic and suggested parts for a trivial home-brew battery backup solution.  It was designed for base-station use.
It doesn’t have automation for shutting down the PI, and it could be a bit large, but it will keep power glitches from killing the Raspberry PI and it will keep the Raspberry PI up while transporting it for a couple of hours.  It costs about $25US as pictured.

Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd@...
Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html
North Carolina Packet Radio Network: http://ncpacket.net/north_carolina_packet_network.html
Local Raleigh ham radio info: http://torborg.com/a

On Dec 24, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Daniel Holmes <danielh@...> wrote:

For running off a 12V supply, this is what I use: https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html Seems to be pretty RF quiet.

Yeah, it’s a bit expensive, but I have it wired with an on/off switch to power up/power down the Pi cleanly, and it powers it down when the batteries are almost exhausted. I haven’t worked up the battery charger just yet, but it’ll be a handy part of my go-kit. I still need to figure out how to use more than 1 HAT on my Pi, but that’s just a bit of research—so many projects so little time.

Dan

--
Daniel Holmes, danielh@...
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin