Re: W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released - INOP

Marty Hartwell

Hi

I think once the KillHotspot has been done it will not reactivate so you will only have the ability

to use the wired lan.

I am going to use the standard Buster load for my Pi4 and hand load the ham apps I want

myself, unless another version of the Dave W3DJS disk image becomes available.

Right now I am not doing anything but getting ready for the family to visit over Christmas

so it is all on hold for now.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/14/19 5:43 PM, Walter Holmes K5WH wrote:

Many thanks for that, as that restores the wired connection to normal as mentioned.

Is there a way to prevent that from starting back up after the reboot?

Thanks,

Walter/K5WH

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hartwell
Sent: Saturday, December 14, 2019 10:51 AM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released - INOP

Hi

As noted in an earlier post it comes with the Hot spot enabled, so once you can disable it by

entering the KillHotspot command. Note I am not sure that is the correct syntax of the command. Once

the hotspot is killed you can attach a direct lan cable and the internet will work. I have done it.

And others have noted a work around for them, it didn't work for me, maybe I misunderstood

one of the commands, I am not sure. So I am waiting to see if Dave W3DJS will put out another

ham loaded release with out the hot spot included. I do know of some that will use the software

with the hot spot.

I hope this helps.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/14/19 7:29 AM, Walter Holmes K5WH wrote:

So I finally managed to get the system to load the image correctly.

Everything expanded out just as it should. That looks good.

However, there is no DNS working successfully on a hard wired configuration, and no wifi option even available as well.

Not sure why it’s not just using the default linux features where all this just works as it should.  Is this disabled on purpose?

Anyone come up with a solution for this?

Of course you can edit the resolv.conf file to force it to work, until the next reboot, but that’s a temporary bandaid, not a solution at best.

Thanks,

Walter/K5WH

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter Holmes K5WH
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released - INOP

I have tried it at least 4 times now myself on a RPI4 with nothing but a blank screen afterwards myself.

So I suspect it could be something with my version of the 4gig rpi4.

I tried it on a 3b a couple times, at it will at least try to expand out there, but then starts bombing out with tons of errors.  Then lots of authentication errors.

So no joy for me either.

Walter/K5WH

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Auchard
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:19 PM
Subject: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released - INOP

I have tried twice now to download the W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released program and make it work.  I downloaded the v2.0.tar.bz2 version and then unzipped the file to make it a 17Gig size file.  I copied that to a 32 Gig MicroSD and loaded it in a Raspberry Pi 4b and nothing happens.

My understand is this 17 Gig image file that is created is supposed to set itself up when you power on the Raspberry Pi4b and run.  Am I wrong in that assumption?  I've downloaded this file twice now on a limited data throughput device and can't keep doing this as I'll run out of data for the month.

What am I doing wrong and how can I make this image work?

Gary A. - W0MNA

Join RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.