Re: R-pi4 4GB email with claws

Marty Hartwell

Hi Mark

Yes I did see the default on Claws using the Pi server. I changed it to the Gmail server, it allowed

me to do that, and on to other setup information. However at the end it also gripped about

validation error during the gmail login attempt. So it seems to be a communication error or

something else. My hope is that when I attempt it on the Pi 4 it will work. However the disk

is loaded with the same Buster op sys.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:55 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

Reason I ask is I get an error using Claws to connect to the PiGate IMAP server which is running on the localhost (127.0.0.1) on port 143.  It says there is a SASL error, and doesn't allow me to use any other authentication method.  Regular Sylpheed running on my laptop lets be specify normal password authentication and works just fine, but Claws won't let me do that.  The only option is "automatic" where it tries to figure out the authentication, and then fails with the SASL error.

That's the problem with lots of these newer email clients, they try to assume too much to be more helpful to the less knowledgeable users.  (Not you).

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:44:08 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Yes Mark I agree. I have looked at the Tbird setup on the Pi and it looks exactly like the

one on the laptop, but is gripping about the login something or other. I am making a new

disk copy of the latest Buster on a 64 GB disk to try. This is on an older 2B+ Pi so that maybe the issue. I also have a new Pi 4 with 4GB of mem and will try that, I am really hoping that will work as I would like

to use the new Pi 4 as a replacement for the old, old did I mention old laptop.

We'll see.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/9/19 4:34 PM, Mark Griffith via Groups.Io wrote:
Marty,

What error do you get?  You should be able to specify mail.gmail.com and the ports to use for IMAP and SMTP along with your username and password.  Claws email is just a Raspbian port of Sylpheed email that has been around for a long time, but it does work a little differently.

Thunderbird should be pretty easy to setup.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Monday, December 9, 2019, 4:26:57 PM CST, Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Yes that is what I was doing but I really don't like the Gmail site
layout, and I have a lot

of Ham related saved emails I use for reference. So I think I really
would like to get Claws

working with Gmail but on both I receive error message saying my
credentials are incorrect.

I have verified everything as the same as on my working laptop.

I guess I will just keep playing with it.

Thanks

Marty kd8bj