Re: My experience with the ham load by W3DJS

isisdave@...

I'm another oldie-but-goodie, 70+ years, whose first exposure to Unix was on PDP-9, -11, and -15s in the early 70s. I've spent most of my professional life in the Windows world with only occasional (and not recent!) jaunts back to -ix-land, but can still farble around in Linux when necessary, to a point.

Specifically, THIS point: An awful lot of Linux online advice sites seem to make the assumption that the petitioner has a LOT more background than he probably has. And responses there are likely to omit consideration of prerequisites, probably because they are so well integrated into the responding brain that it doesn't need to consider them.

Of course the same thing is probably true of Windows advice sites ....

So when offering advice to newbies who can barely find the keyboard, please take a moment or three to be more verbose than you think necessary!

Thanks so much

Dave KF6XA