Re: W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released

Michael WA7SKG

A 'tar' file is sort of a package, often referred to as a "tarball". It can be one or many files. It is often zipped, which can be a number of formats, usually adding an additional extension like file.tar.gz. You can extract the files using the 'tar' command. I believe it works the same in MACOS as it does in Linux. Use something like "tar -xzf file.tar.gz" which will generally decompress and extract all the files.

If the MAC supports man pages, you can use "man tar" on the command line to read about tar. You can get basic option info with tar --help or tar -H.

HTH,
Michael WA7SKG

KE3KQ wrote on 11/1/19 2:30 PM:

Ok, slowly making some progress after numerous download fits and starts. All this in MacOS 10.15.1
Got a copy that was compressed in bzip2 and managed to get it to uncompress from the command line which resulted in a .tar file. Simply double clicking the file seems to decompress it but the resulting file does not work in Etcher.
GalenaEtcher does not seem to know what to do with the .tar file (18.36 GB). When trying to make the image selection the .tar file is light grey and cannot be selected.
This is such a great idea, I hope I can file flashed onto the SD card.
*** Ben KE3KQ