Not trying to be a jerk, but tar files are not compressed by default.  The right set of command line options have to be enabled for it to be compressed.

Mark
KD0QYN

On Friday, November 1, 2019, 4:38:51 PM CDT, Perry Ogletree <pogletree@...> wrote:

A "tar" file is still compressed like a zip file. You need to un-compress it to get the image file for Etcher. In Windows, I like PowerArchiver, as it un-"zips" many compression formats. I'm sure there are other tools that can do it (native tools in Linux) in Windows, etc.

Perry K4PWO
-----Original Message-----
From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of KE3KQ
Sent: Friday, November 1, 2019 04:30 PM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] W3DJS Raspberry Pi Ham Radio Image v2.0 Released

Ok, slowly making some progress after numerous download fits and starts.  All this in MacOS 10.15.1

Got a copy that was compressed in bzip2 and managed to get it to uncompress from the command line which resulted in a .tar file.  Simply double clicking the file seems to decompress it but the resulting file does not work in Etcher.

GalenaEtcher does not seem to know what to do with the .tar file (18.36 GB).  When trying to make the image selection the .tar file is light grey and cannot be selected.

This is such a great idea, I hope I can file flashed onto the SD card.

*** Ben KE3KQ