Re: Packet Radio Starter Advice

Another alternative is the DRAWS™ HAT with Direwolf as the TNC.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019, 11:39 Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
Hi Santiago,

At my home, I run BPQ as a packet switch. On top of that, I run the mail and chat applications built in, and have a telnet port for access to a CMS gateway. For access into the switch, I run soundcard packet (direwolf) and ARDOP. There is a AX/IP/UDP port as well for access via AMPR Net. I use an Alinco DR135TMKIII as the primary radio.

You can use a TNC-Pi, and they're great KISS TNCs. However, it is not a requirement. You can also use a Signalink or a RIGblaster as a soundcard interface if you want to use more than just packet. However, from what I can see, you may be limited to just 1200 baud packet on an FTM-3100, since I do not believe that radio has a 'data' port, which you would need for 9600 baud. The Alinco DR135 and DR735 are capable of 9600 with the data port on the back.

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:25 PM Santiago Roland <cx1dr@...> wrote:
Hi, i'm new to packet radio. I own an analog Yaesu FTM-3100R VHF which i plan to use on packet radio, maybe set up a packet BBS (bulletin board system). Besides that rig, what else gear do i need to enter the packet arena? I also i'm aware of the raspberry-pi board that can be with a TNC as the TNC-Pi. I may buy one of these, but what else do i need? Does the Yaesu FTM-3100R is a good rig for packet? do i need a cable to connect the TNC-Pi to the Yaesu? Does the cable plug in the mic port or usb port? Maybe a minimal starter kit and steps would be nice from people with experience.

Best ragrds.

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV