Re: partition for lubuntu from previous ubuntu

Don - KM4UDX <dontAy155@...>

Yes, you are right.  I got the USB bootable with gparted live,  and it would boot to the gparted selection screen, but then no matter what option i picked, including gparted safeboot, the sequence would never actually start gparted.

So I've given up for now.  I'm going to try to make my USB3 port and usb3 stick a swap file with the following process.

≠====================

1) Make sure your USB stick is connected. In a terminal type:

sudo blkid

It will list all your connected drives. Search for your USB stick you want to use as swap and copy the UUID (everything inside these quotes UUID="XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX").

This represents the individual name of your device.

Also note the /dev/XXX point of your device.

2) Now unmount your device by typing:

sudo umount /dev/XXX (where XXX represents your device name)

3) Format your USB stick as swap, e.g. by terminal

sudo mkswap /dev/XXX (<-- be sure to use the correct device name here or you'll probably end up formatting the wrong drive!)

or simply use GParted.

4) Now you have to edit your /etc/fstab file, so type

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

and enter the following

UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX none swap sw,pri=5 0 0

(for all the Xs, use the UUID number you got by typing sudo blkid)

5) Now type

sudo swapon -a

That's it, this should already work