Re: Signalink vs PI

David Ranch <dranch@...>

I never recommend user's to re-use the system's built-in soundcard as OS updates always seem to mess with their settings.  Specifically, after updates, you can have your OS system notification sounds sent out over the airwaves, have your levels all screwed up, etc.  It's just too inexpensive these days not to buy a second sound device be it a cheap USB device all they way up to devices like Signalink, RigBlaster Advantage, Timewave Navigator, etc.   Do yourself a favor and get a second sound device.

Next.. if you go the home brew approach, it was mentioned that the EasyDigi is a good way to get audio and PTT line isolation.  These come from kits to ready-to-use versions:

   https://www.ebay.com/sch/cliffordwareham/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

As mentioned by others,  devices like the Signalink, RigBlaster Advantage, Timewave Navigator, etc also include isolation transformers which limit the audio spectrum passed through them.  This can impact "high speed" modes on VHF/UHF such as 9600bps G3RUH packet and possibly GMSK-based DStar.  Beyond those high speed modes, you won't have any issues with any HF modes at all.

As to how to do this step by step, there are LOTS of websites on the web how to do this.  Google it to get started and we can help fill in the blanks when you have questions.

On 07/26/2019 03:07 PM, Steve McGrane wrote:
Dave,

  I can see where your confusion comes in.  The FX9A uses a 3.5mm jack instead of a USB or Serial port.  You'd need to use some kind of interface between the radio and the computer.  --  Looks like the NOMIC rig blaster wants to connect to the radio in place of the mic using an RJ-45 (keystone) type of connector.  I'd reach out to West Mountain Radio and see how they say to connect this up.

  I can see how you could scrap together an adapter cable to make all of this work together.

  When you plug the NOMIC into your computer, it should show up as a sound device, so your digital mode apps should be able to select it.

  Let me know what you find out.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 4:46 PM Perry Ogletree <pogletree@...> wrote:
Not the Nomic model... it's a plain interface as I recall. You have to go to the Advantage to get internal sound.

Perry K4PWO

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10+.