Re: A Simple Portable Packet Station for Emergency Communications

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

These guys do great work!  Best I've ever bought.  I bet they would add the RPi end of things to their inventory of "TNC Side" ends.  These guys will make up any combination needed.

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 7:24 AM Brian Webster via Groups.Io <radiowebst=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yes Bill that was my point, if his Pi project has a cable available to connect to the sound card and the header pin for the PTT control then users can buy cables such as these. The Pi project then only has to be concerned with making a cable that meets one of those standard connection methods and still able to be used with any radio.

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC

-----Original Message-----
From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io [mailto:RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Vodall
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:25 PM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] A Simple Portable Packet Station for Emergency Communications

> One suggestion may be to propose a more standard connection. There are a couple of popular connection methods, one is the mini DIN on the back of some radios, the other is the kantronics 9 pin connector method and the other is the older 5 pin DIN used in many of the older packet TNC’s. The idea being that if someone could make up a batch of cables that mate up to one or more of these methods, a user can normally find packet cables for their particular radio from various sources. I know you are probably not wanting to build and sell cables but documenting this could maybe assist others who could make one for this person or maybe if the project takes off someone will start to manufacture them for this device.

>>>

The cables are already available ...

https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables?olsPage=products

Join RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.