Re: Time standard for wsjt modes

Siegfried Jackstien

i have a set of topo maps for germany 1:50 000 on my pc .... superb resolution ... yes even the pig trails are shown ...

but to have such a set in printed form would need much room and is not very handy to use

dg9fc sigi

Am 23.03.2018 um 14:15 schrieb Steve McGrane:

What is this "maps" you speak of?  and I haven't a folding phone in ages...

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Perry Ogletree <pogletree@...> wrote:

The ultimate ground navigation system that beats GPS, etc., already exists. It uses no power, is EMI proof, and compact* and light weight… USGS Topo maps.

Every “pig trail” and road is shown…

Perry K4PWO

*If you can re-fold them!

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of ka2dew Tadd
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:54 AM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Time standard for wsjt modes

Bill and Perry,

I think Perry is right.  It’d be a kick anyway.  It doesn’t look all that expensive.  I was just going down the list of modern tools that would be gone after the zombie apocalypse and just after clean water I thought of county-wide computer aided navigation.  haha. 

I’ve been working on an off-the-grid text messaging network using just ham radio and just people’s houses.  It’s tough here in the NC piedmont because we don’t have any hams living on a mountain.  Well.. there aren’t any hills to speak of.  But we’re doing it anyway.  We’re 50 miles wide with 8 links west-to-east - over 70 miles of links total so far.  It’s been very educational.  Building a navigation system that is completely ham radio seems like another project to brag about at the flea markets, newsletters, and ham clubs.   

Tadd

Tadd / KA2DEW

Raleigh NC  FM05pv

“Packet networking over ham radio": http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html

“Raleigh-centric ham radio resources page": http://torborg.com/a

On Mar 22, 2018, at 1:03 AM, Perry Ogletree <pogletree@...> wrote:

You’d need a station about every 10 miles for ground navigation.  Also the precision is probably in the football field size if not larger.  The current stations may go the way of Loran in a few years anyway.

Perry K4PWO

From: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io <RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io> On Behalf Of ka2dew Tadd
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 3:02 PM
To: RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio] Time standard for wsjt modes

Bill,

We can do navigation without satellites.  I think it would be a most excellent project for a bunch of hams to try to build a navigation/mapping system for our cars using VOR/TACAN with our own navigation ground-stations.   

Tadd/KA2DEW

On Mar 21, 2018, at 12:13 PM, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

GPS doesn't work very well indoors. My internet connection is handier.

the time snyc between gps and NTP is so close it doesn't matter.

The GPS/GLAONASS a U-Bloc7 works great indoors it a simple USB stick.... Just FYI.... Cheap too..

I can confirm that. I got a $14 Glonass dongle, plugged it in, and
had 12 satellites showing on the laptop on the kitchen table. I'll
have one or two on the 'servers' soon. I'd consider an USB extension
for better signal but I'm going to try without it first.

http://amzn.to/2pwEWEX

Besides - Internet is just a fad and won't be there much longer...
We Hams like to be self sufficient. If using a bizillion dollars
worth of satellites part of self sufficiency.

Bill, WA7NWP

Join RaspberryPi-4-HamRadio@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.