Re: Adventure of the Day #1

Dennis Nelson

One question for you, where did you get the image? I found that the archLinuxArm from element14 was corrupt and wouldn't boot. Of course
if the card is bad(does happen), try getting a replacement. I've had better luck with the sandisk cards.

From: John
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 5:15 PM
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Adventure of the Day #1

The day started out well. The second Raspberry Pi that I ordered on the 19th from Adafruit came today (the 22nd) so I thought I would get it online. I took a brand new 8G Kingston sd out and started to load it. The image program balked, saying that the card was locked. Try the other Win 7 machne, same thing! Google coughs up a lengthy todo list. http://oddsnsods.net/blog/?p=100 looked scarey but promising. All these years and I never saw a command line disk partition program before today. I deleted the partition in the sd card as instructed and went back to the disk image program. Now it says the image won't fit on the 8G sd card. OK, I am no stranger to trouble, I will restore the format on the sd card and work up a plan for the next step. Uh-Oh! The windows format command says it cannot do the format. So here I am reporting back. Some where there is a special format program for sd cards, I need to find it.
Next, I suspect th image sved was a complete image and not just the install programs. The empty locations were probably included in the dump. I also suspect the Dump-restore was done by Linux and it is more efficient with the sd card.
That is the story for today.
I doubt I am ready to build that image from the insructions...YET.
de John W8CCW