Re: Installling on a pi NOOBS?

Marty Hartwell

Hi

About a year ago or more I downloaded a raspian Jessie NOOBS and used it
to create a disk. It worked fine. I booted the Pi and tried to use wi-fi
and it didn't work. I downloaded the Unbuntu Mate for the Pi created a disk using dd booted the disk and again attempted to use wi-fi, didn't work. All using the Xfinity Internet. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and now being on AT&T Internet the Pi worked just fine on wi-fi. Now downloading the Ubuntu Mate 16.02 version of the OS, still works on wi-fi. I tried to compile Fldigi on it and it failed. So I have downloaded Raspian Stretch image and created a disk just to see if
I can compile Fldigi on it. I have seen where others have got it to
work but they, I haven't heard of anyone compiling on the Ubuntu
version of Pi OS.

Just my story. So is the failure to work on wi-fi using Raspian
or Mate, or what Internet provider.

Marty kd8bj

On 02/04/2018 12:30 PM, rpi4ham@gelm.net [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Hi, Joe:
"The blind men and the elephant"
I found only one poster mentioning 'full'.
They are right, you are right, I am right.
There is a NOOBS and a NOOBS-lite, which are installation managers.
There is a Rasbpian and a Raspbian-lite, which are operating systems.
It may be correct that
2017-11-29-Raspbian-Stretch.zip
has Ham Radio related applications or tools that the
Raspbian installed from NOOBS does not have.
I am assuming that the statement is true, but not willing to test its
validity.
The poster that first used 'full' in this thread also mentioned that they
'never used NOOBS'.
The original poster is having trouble with a WiFi adapter and using an
unknown operating system...possibly Raspbian...but which release?
Was it from a NOOBS from the date/time the RPi2 was released
or 2017-11-29 or ?
Chuck
There is a On 02/04/2018 12:42 PM, Joseph LaFerla joe@laferla.ca