From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 31 August 2017 04:47
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] LAN based iPhone notification from
Raspberry PI script

I have a packet terminal running on my Raspberry PI.  What I want to do is
send a message over my house’s LAN to the iPhone from the Raspberry PI based
on something that the Raspberry PI decides, like “your BPQterm log has
grown".  I want a push notification that can make a noise on the phone.  I
know I could do this with SMS or even Email, but I can’t figure out how to
do that without having Internet available.  Can anybody recommend a
technique, or phone app, that could get that push notification with alert
from the Raspberry PI, entirely in my LAN, and preferably something that I
can script for other people running packet nodes on their Raspberry PIs???

A clue that I got a while ago is that there is a System Event Log mechanism
called GROWL which can send to registered clients or some such about system
event messages.  Can you tell me how to generate GROWL notifications from a
Raspberry PI to an iPhone without going outside of the LAN?

Or some other mechanism?

I wonder if I can get an email client on my iPhone to use the Raspberry PI
as a mail server when I”m at home?  Then I could get a push notification
that the Raspberry PI has a message for me?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks! And 73.
Tadd / KA2DEW
tadd@mac.com