Re: TNC-PI TXdeley - was Re: Routing issue?

John G8BPQ

James,

What Tadd says is true but irrelevant. He says how it is usually
implemented. The fact is that the TNC-PI does things differently. He does
however point out that the TNC-PI (along with the TNC-X, from which it is
derived) can set TX delay via an analog potentiometer rather than by KISS
command. With this method it has to be set empirically, as there is no
calibration of the pot.

All TNCS, not just the TNC-PI, send audio to the radio during the TXDelay
period. TXDelay is the time between asserting PTT and starting to send the
real data. Although it could be any tone, the ax.25 spec calls for flags to
be used for time fill, and that is what almost all TNCs send. It may be
unusual to time that process by counting the number of flags sent than by
counting millisecond interrupts, but it is simpler to implement. More
importantly on a processor like the PIC with limited programming space it
needs fewer instructions.

73,
John