From: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@... [mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...]
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2017 10:14 AM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@...
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: Routing issue?

opening squelch is the PREFERRED method of using packet, unless your TNC can't/won't do proper tone detection..noise is ignored and only the tones should be detected...using squelch only introduces uneeded delays..forcing the other transmitter to add longer TXdelay to open your squelch, then send data

On 2017-07-29 04:29 AM, jiejun.kong@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Turning off squelch is not a good idea.  The packet communication is vulnerable to random interference.  It would also make a proper p-persistence configuration impossible.

Best Regards,

James Kong, KM6JNN

---In Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@..., wrote :

Why not just run it with open squelch? Using squelch is never the best option when using data, it adds delay...all my rigs here run with open squelch, and the tnc detects the data..I use tnc-pi, and kam+...most tnc's support carrier-detect from just the packet tones..no tones=ok to transmit!

I DON'T recommend shorting the +3v on the mic line, that voltage is there to run power to any external condenser microphone, use a suitable capacitor in series usually to block the DC...anything around 1 to 6ufd @ 25 or 50v will work..if electrolytic, observe correct polarity..

Biggest problem I've seen with those radios is folks using software tnc's and VOX on them..VOX is horrible unless the other station WAITS until the vox delay drops out and transmits then..unless you can set the VOX delay to zero..

On 2017-07-27 05:11 AM, jiejun.kong@... [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hi there,

After spending two months on the subject, last week I finally figured out what's gone wrong in my case: the Baofeng radios, which cause decoding problems when in the receiving mode.

In https://illruminations.com/2014/01/15/baofeng-packet-radio-adventures/ Steve Conklin, AI4QR's investigation shows that Baofeng radios cannot work with TinyTrak4 (similar to TNC-X, TNC-Pi) "because the software in the radio only turns on power to the audio amplifier when it wants to make a sound." To solve the problem, one has to implement hardware Carrier Detect or something equivalent as shown in http://larr-project.blogspot.com/2014/01/elegant-solution-for-carrier-detect-in.html

Once the problem is solved, the Raspberry Pi's can successfully ping each other, with '-i 10' option and around 5 seconds ping latency reported.

In summary, some hardware KISS TNCs won't work with Baofeng/Woxun radios when receiving packets unless you change the radio circuits.   I am getting rid of the hardware KISS TNCs and switching to software KISS TNCs.

Best Regards,

James Kong, KM6JNN
Turing Network Test L.L.C.