Re: Puppy on a RPI 2+

Marty Hartwell

Hi again David

There will be two replies to this email, one now a one when I get back from a shopping trip with the
wife. It will be later. I will take the laptop up to the room where the Pi is currently because of cable
length.

First I didn't mean to mislead you but somehow I managed it, I don't have a windows system on the
the network but, I can reboot one on XP to get the information you requested. All of the systems in
regular use here at present are Linux Xubuntu 14.04 LTS. I do have one system desktop that is only
currently serving as a print server for the other two laptops, the old one on the ham shack, and this
one on the main level connected by wi-fi. My wife has a laptop that also prints through the wi-fi all
are using what ever Xubuntu 14.04 uses for networking.

We only have the one router from Comcast which has the four cable connections in the computer/
ham junk room. Three of those are to the 3 computers in there one being the PI.

Next email response will have the results of these questions.

Marty kd8bj

On 04/30/2016 10:46 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty, G4SRA, etc,

When it started or finish the disk reformat I saw an error:

"Error downloading distribution list from Internet"

So I think that might be an early indication of some sort of network
error somewhere.
Right.. most distributions try to update after installation to keep things working, secure, etc.

command ifconfig -a >> net1

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddrb8:27:eb:63:20:d0
inet addr:10.0.0.91 Bcast:10.0.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr:2601:483:200:6dfc:3ff8:b1e9:7e03:f29a/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr:2601:483:200:6dfc::9179/128 Scope:Global
inet6 addr:fe80::5877:240a:77ac:4ef0/64 Scope:Link
RX bytes:52304 (51.0 KiB) TX bytes:86152 (84.1 KiB)
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
Ok.. this is hugely helpful. Why? Because you have a live IPv6 connection from Comcast and I'm guessing this is where your modern Linux system is trying to use it where your Windows machines either AREN'T using them or they are applying additional tweaks to be Comcast compatible but Linux is more generic. More questions for you:

1. When you do your similar tests on your Windows machines and things work, are the Windows machines connected in the same way or are they connected through anther router/gateway/wifi device? On one of the working Windows machines, can you include the output of "ipconfig /all"? That will give us an apples to apples comparison.

2. If I'm correct that your LInux machine is preferring to use your new IPv6 address vs IPv4 address (not a bad thing, just different), we need to make sure this is TRUE first. Please provide the output of the two following
commands:

cat /etc/gai.conf
cat /etc/host.conf

Btw, changing the preference of IPv6 over IPv4 depends on your linux distribution. This URL talks to it but it's doesn't really explain what the gai.conf file is doing:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/32298/prefer-a-ipv4-dns-lookups-before-aaaaipv6-lookups

this URL gives a few more use cases and more education too:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9940/convince-apt-get-not-to-use-ipv6-method

command traceroute -I 8.8.8.8 >> net1
Your previous email indicated that this didn't go anywhere. Let's see if you can traceroute to an IPv6 address. Please run the following command and send us the results:

#traceroutes to one of your comcast DNS servers
traceroute 2001:558:feed::2

#traceroute a google public DNS server
traceroute 2001:4860:4860::8888

command cat /etc/resolv.conf >> net1

# Generated by resolvconf

domain hsd1.tn.comcast.net

nameserver 75.75.75.75

nameserver 75.75.76.76

nameserver 2001:558:feed::1

nameserver 2001:558:feed::2
Let's see if you can ping these remote DNS servers. Run the following commands and post the responses:

ping -c 5 75.75.75.75
ping -c 5 75.75.76.76
ping -c 5 2001:558:feed::1
ping -c 5 2001:558:feed::2

command route -n >> net1
Kernel IP routing table
0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 202 0 0 eth0
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 202 0 0 eth0
This is only showing us the IPv4 default gateway. Please run the following commands to show the IPv4 and IPv6 gateways:

/sbin/ip route show dev eth0
/sbin/ip -6 route show dev eth0

Btw, if you or others would like to learn more about IPv6 (it's coming.. we all need to absorb this change), this is a good tutorial on it (for Linux):

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/index.html

Once we get things going, it would be interesting to see what your results are from using a web browser on your Rpi looking at:

http://test-ipv6.com/

Anyway.. I know this is a bit confusing and what not but it's very difficult to troubleshoot things like this remotely. Hopefully with this last batch of questions, we'll know what's going on with your specific ISP configuration, etc.