Re: Puppy on a RPI 2+

Marty Hartwell

Hi
Answers with in test below.

On 04/30/2016 03:24 AM, Brian D Heaton ky9k-lists@ky9k.org [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

So you can ping the router from the RPI2, but you can't ping beyond the router? Sounds like a default route issue.

quick test:

1) Ping the LAN address on your router
- If this works, the interface is setup correctly.
- If this doesn't work, suspect your interface configuration.
Yes I can ping and connect to router from the pi.
2) Ping 8.8.8.8 (or 8.8.4.4)
- If this works, your interface and default gateway configuration is good.
- If this doesn't work, and pinging your router LAN interface does - suspect your default gateway
- command "route" or "netstat -nr" to check the default gateway.
A ping of 8.8.8.8 or .8.8.4.4 does not work.
Gateway is set the same as other PC's both wi-fi and cabled.

route -n produces

Kernel IP routing table

0.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 202 0 0 eth0

10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 202 0 0 eth0

3) Ping Google
- If this works, the IP config and name resolution are both working.
- If this doesn't work, but items 1 and 2 do, you've got a DNS resolution problem.
I have already figured out that I have a DNS problem, however have not been able to figure out
what the DNS problem is, all looks to be set up as per other PC's on the network but those are all
standard PC's while the Rpi is an ARM which is different but I don't know if the network setup is the
same or not.

Marty kd8bj

73-KY9K/Brian

On 4/29/2016 17:44, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
Have you ruled out your ethernet cable? Can you try WiFi?

--
Mitch Winkle
http://ewamjlu.blogspot.com

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com <mailto:mhartwe@gmail.com> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Mitch

On 04/29/2016 07:15 AM, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
> If you are connected via ethernet, and it won't work, I would not
> suspect the OS.

Well it is Debian, so is Xubuntu and Lubuntu which I have been
using and
still do, and did use Windows a
while ago, all work fine with cable connection and wifi along
with three
tablets. When guests come and
connect with either phone or tablet works fine. So it isn't hardware
either. So the Rpi has something within
the software that sets up the network connection from the router
or some
script. I have looked at the DNS
files under /etc and they nearly match the files under /etc on the
*ubuntu systems. I can ping Yahoo and
Google from the *ubuntu systems but not the Pi, I can ping the
router
though as well like I said before log in
to the admin page of the router.
So that lead to suspecting the Jessie that was created by Noobs.
So I
downloaded and DD copied the Ubuntu
Mate they have made to work on the Rpi, same result.

<mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>
<mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>>> wrote:

> HI
>
> No not wifi, cable connection to Comcast router, as with two of the
> other PC's in the shack.
> How do you do the firmware upgrade without a network connection?
>
> You don't. rpi-update is a network application which downloads the
> new firmware.
I knew the answer when I asked it as a rhetorical question.

> I never saw a restriction on use of Puppy that says it can't be
> used as
> a regular linux distribution.
> If setup like any other Linux with root being separate and having
> a user
> login it can be as secure as
> any other. Users choice, however one needs to invest some time in
> knowing how I guess and some
> may not see the point when using on a wired network and behind
a home
> environment.
>

> No, Puppy has no "requirement" not to use as a hard drive
build, but
> that is NOT what it is designed for. It is designed to run from
> removable media, and as such, has no need for "regular users".
They
> even show you how to do a hard drive install, all the while
telling
> you it's not necessary. I will admit though, for a really OLD
> computer with very limited computing power, it might be useful.
>
> In any case, I don't think another OS is your answer by your
> descriptions below.
>

> I did not make it clear on my other post that I was on a first time
> startup using Noobs to install the
> Raspian Jessie OS, after putting the 16GB disk into the Rpi and
> powering
> it up, it went through its
> installation. When that finished I attempted to use the
browser, and
> found no network connection, I
> could not go to any web site, could not get the upgrade, update
or do

> any kind of apt-get to work.
>

> Have you tried a rebuild of the Noobs just in case it got
dorked up
> somehow? Worth a shot, and only takes a few minutes. Remind us,
what
> RPi version? 2 or 3? The new 3's are a different animal that
others
> will have to address. I have no knowledge of them. I only have 2's.

Yes about three times I saw new dates on the Noobs download so
thinking
maybe something was fixed tried it.
No help there.

> Mitch

It is an interesting situation. I am trying to come up with some
friend that has a internet provider other than
comcast to see if I can borrow a cable connection to try out, so
far all
my friends all have comcast too, but I haven't
ruled out trying it out there just in case it is my router too. I
may
look at my HP Unix system admin study guide to see
if there is any help on network administration there too.

Marty