Re: Puppy on a RPI 2+

Marty Hartwell

Hi Mitch

On 04/29/2016 07:15 AM, Mitch Winkle mitchwinkle@gmail.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:
If you are connected via ethernet, and it won't work, I would not suspect the OS.

Well it is Debian, so is Xubuntu and Lubuntu which I have been using and still do, and did use Windows a
while ago, all work fine with cable connection and wifi along with three tablets. When guests come and
connect with either phone or tablet works fine. So it isn't hardware either. So the Rpi has something within
the software that sets up the network connection from the router or some script. I have looked at the DNS
files under /etc and they nearly match the files under /etc on the *ubuntu systems. I can ping Yahoo and
Google from the *ubuntu systems but not the Pi, I can ping the router though as well like I said before log in
to the admin page of the router.
So that lead to suspecting the Jessie that was created by Noobs. So I downloaded and DD copied the Ubuntu
Mate they have made to work on the Rpi, same result.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com <mailto:mhartwe@gmail.com> [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

HI

No not wifi, cable connection to Comcast router, as with two of the
other PC's in the shack.
How do you do the firmware upgrade without a network connection?

You don't. rpi-update is a network application which downloads the new firmware.
I knew the answer when I asked it as a rhetorical question.

I never saw a restriction on use of Puppy that says it can't be
used as
a regular linux distribution.
If setup like any other Linux with root being separate and having
a user
login it can be as secure as
any other. Users choice, however one needs to invest some time in
knowing how I guess and some
may not see the point when using on a wired network and behind a home
environment.

No, Puppy has no "requirement" not to use as a hard drive build, but that is NOT what it is designed for. It is designed to run from removable media, and as such, has no need for "regular users". They even show you how to do a hard drive install, all the while telling you it's not necessary. I will admit though, for a really OLD computer with very limited computing power, it might be useful.

In any case, I don't think another OS is your answer by your descriptions below.

I did not make it clear on my other post that I was on a first time
startup using Noobs to install the
Raspian Jessie OS, after putting the 16GB disk into the Rpi and
powering
it up, it went through its
installation. When that finished I attempted to use the browser, and
found no network connection, I
could not go to any web site, could not get the upgrade, update or do

any kind of apt-get to work.

Have you tried a rebuild of the Noobs just in case it got dorked up somehow? Worth a shot, and only takes a few minutes. Remind us, what RPi version? 2 or 3? The new 3's are a different animal that others will have to address. I have no knowledge of them. I only have 2's.
Yes about three times I saw new dates on the Noobs download so thinking maybe something was fixed tried it.
No help there.

Mitch
It is an interesting situation. I am trying to come up with some friend that has a internet provider other than
comcast to see if I can borrow a cable connection to try out, so far all my friends all have comcast too, but I haven't
ruled out trying it out there just in case it is my router too. I may look at my HP Unix system admin study guide to see
if there is any help on network administration there too.

Marty