Re: Error message on Rpi 2 B+

Marty Hartwell

Will try that.

On 03/14/2016 09:54 PM, 'n5xmt1@yahoo.com' n5xmt1@yahoo.com
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Put your router's IP as the nameserver address. That allows the pi to
be directed to the proper DNS server from your provider

Sent by MailWise <http://www.mail-wise.com/installation/2> – See your
emails as clean, short chats.

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]"
<Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 04:48 PM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Error message on Rpi 2 B+

Hi David
I did have a few minutes to look at the /etc/resolv.conf file and saw on
the Rpi:

nameserver 75.75.75.75
nameserver 75.75.76.76

and maybe something else.

I guess I thought it would work like some of the other Debian products
that just work when started.

I wonder if it is my provider which isn't providing the correct
information from a query. I will try you
suggestion tonight later.

I did try to do an apt-get update but it failed, but since I can get to
my router I must be limited on the
Rpi to only my lan and not beyond. I know I not alone in having this
issue as a search on the web has
shown several making suggestions which so far haven't worked for me yet,
so I will try adding these into
the file and keep trying.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/14/2016 10:08 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty,

Thanks for pointing that out, I know I saw it but didn't catch the
third
place 1. I will look at my others,
and that was from this computer which is wifi connected but will check
the file on the Rpi to make sure
it is correct along with the second line too.
I dont use dnsmasq personally so this might be entirely accurate BUT
obviously something is still wrong. One thing you can do as an
alternative is BYPASS the dnsmasq based entry and instead enter in:

nameserver 4.4.4.4
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Those are two freely available DNS servers from google which should
work well enough for a test. If they DO work, I would then encourage
you to patch up your Rpi as hopefully any issues you're having have
been FIXED in updates. To do that, run the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install rpi-update
sudo rpi-update
sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now

After the reboot... are you now getting working DNS responses?