Re: Error message on Rpi 2 B+

Marty Hartwell

Hi David

I spent some time today before having to leave for the rest of the day.
I have just reloaded Jessie and
will look at tonight but I expect it to behave the same as it was
before. I have been looking up setup
of DNS on Rpi and will check out what is there.

As stated before I a connected to my lan via cable and it is as expected
on eth0, when powered up.
I read on a web site about what should be in /etc/resolv.conf and there
should be an address for
DNS, and from this system it should be:

"# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.1.1
search hsd1.tn.comcast.net"

So if it isn't that will be a place to start, so after doing some
thinking I may be on the track of
getting it to work.

Marty kd8bj

meh@meh-Presario-CQ57-Notebook-PC:~$

On 03/13/2016 01:54 PM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty,

I have mentioned here before about this error message, not a quote but
"Error domain not found" while searching
for something like Google. In searching the web for the exact message I
have gone to the Raspberry forum and
found reference that leads me to think the domain name server isn't
found.
Probably a DNS server issue

I have reloaded my Rpi with the last two releases of Jessie and going to
load the third and believe this will not help either.
Ok.. then the problem is probably elsewhere

During the installation I would think with the
network connected the DNS should be set in
the setup configuration file.
How does the Rpi get it's TCP/IP address, subnet mask, default
gateway, and DNS servers? Statically (manually typed in by you)? DHCP?

I can go to my router
admin page and log in and look at information there so the network
connection is working, and I can ping as root
to the other PC's connected by cable in the room, I haven't tried to
ping any of the wifi connected PC's.
How is your Rpi connected? Wired? Wireless?

Any ideas of what in fact is wrong, looking at the forum suggestions is
like a shotgun of ideas and nothing has helped
in looking at certain setup files under the /etc folder, as the
suggestion is look and resolv.conf file but nothing on what
should be found there, yes there is information there but is it right
who knows?
/etc/resolv.conf should exist but in the world of Systemd, dnsmasq,
etc.. it's now considered obsolete. If I look at the /etc/resolv.conf
file on my Rpi running Jessie, I see the first line saying:
--
# Generated by resolvconf
--

This means this file is both dynamically created (meaning any changes
you make will eventually get overwritten) and it's done by

This tells us that you're getting things from dnsmasq.... it's a form
of a local DNS caching proxy to make things faster. Ok.. this is good
to know but let's change tracks real quick.

1) let's figure out what network interface you're using. If it's a
wired interface, it would most likely be eth0. If it's wireless, most
likely wlan0. Let's look by running:

ifconfig -a

See your interface and it's IP address? For now, let's assume it's eth0

2) I'm assuming you're running DHCP to get your network information.
To confirm that, run:

ps aux | grep -i dhcp

On my Rpi, I see:

root 490 0.0 0.2 2564 1820 ? Ss Mar05 0:01
/sbin/dhcpcd -q -b

This is the DHCP(client) which gets and MAINTAINS my network
parameters. Let's see what you're getting with the following command
(change the network interface name if your setup is different):

sudo dhcpcd -U eth0

On my machine, I see
--
dhcpcd -U eth0

dhcpcd[10389]: dumplease requires an interface
root@rpi2:/var/lib/dhcpcd5# dhcpcd -U eth0
broadcast_address='192.168.0.255' <------------------ my Rpi's network
broadcast
dhcp_lease_time='86400'
dhcp_message_type='5'
dhcp_rebinding_time='75600'
dhcp_renewal_time='43200'
dhcp_server_identifier='192.168.0.11' <-------------- my local DHCP
server (would be your router's IP address)
domain_name='trinnet.net' <--------------------------- my local
network domain name
domain_name_servers='192.168.0.1' <-------------------- my local DNS
server
ip_address='192.168.0.22' <--------------------------- my Rpi's IP address
network_number='192.168.0.0' <------------------------ my local
subnet's NETWORK address
routers='192.168.0.1' <------------------------------- my local
default gateway
subnet_cidr='24'
subnet_mask='255.255.255.0' <------------------------- my local subnet
mask
--

So.. in your output, what do you see for "domain_name_servers"? Do
you have an entry? Is it empty?

For your other WORKING machines at home? Go look at their network
settings? Are they configured to get DNS from DHCP or did you
manually type in IP addresses for them?