Re: File transfer over APRS?

Marty Hartwell

Hi David

Yes, but I got my Pi with the intention of building fldigi for use. Then
I found out about the external drive need,
and so I may look at using the Pi for Packet but may be a leaning curve
as I haven't used packet in forever. mid
90's I think.
Thanks for the response like I said I am a newbe at Rpi.

Marty kd8bj

On 03/04/2016 09:53 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty,

Yes, Fldigi can send larger messages but the original thread topic was
about APRS. Standard packet programs that include file transfer tools
like YAPP, etc. can also send files over existing packet networks but
that's not APRS per se.

Btw, to touch on Andy's post, the official Debian repos package Fldigi
3.22.01 ( https://packages.debian.org/jessie/hamradio/ ) which was
released 10/20/14. The current version of Fldigi is 3.23.08 which is
21 releases newer. It seems the Kamal repo was finally updated and
you can find new pre-built versions of the Fl-suite there:
https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/ubuntu/fldigi . You can
also build from source which isn't too hard and is covered on the
Fldigi Wiki. It will require an external hard drive (don't compile on
your microSD card) and lots of time (the Rpiv3 is new.. but it's still
NOT that fast [nor is it supposed to be]).