I know on puppy in standard use even loaded on a hard disk, only one is used, and I haven't looked at
how the swap is used, but since it runs on as little as 125mb maybe it isn't needed.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/19/2015 05:21 AM, 'n5xmt1@yahoo.com' n5xmt1@yahoo.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

It used to be with any of the Linux/UNIX os's that seperate partitions were the best way to go. In the last 6 or 7 years, even in larges server clusters, having a /boot, / and swap as the only 3 partitions has become the "standard".

Sent by MailWise <http://www.mail-wise.com/installation/2> – See your emails as clean, short chats.

-------- Original Message --------
From: "'Benny D Miller Jr' w4qed@cfl.rr.com [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO]" <Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2015 02:19 AM
To: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Raspberry Pi Hard Drive partitions.

Hello all,

I am setting up a HD for my Raspberry Pi so that I can use MisterHouse on it without having to worry about all the logging etc.

Currently I have it partitioned as:

/dev/sda1 4GB as swap

/dev/sda2 900+GB for linux.

Now I know that the 900+GB is way too much for Linux's needs. Also aware that 4GB for swap on a 1GB machine is overkill but space at this time isn't a problem.

I was wondering if the following might be in order:

/dev/sda1 2GB as swap

/dev/sda2 32GB for linux

/dev/sda3 900+GB for ext4 for mounting eternal Then using the /dev/sda3 being used for Downloads etc., and using for backups with a once in a while to make backups of this partition to another system might be a better choice?

Any Thoughts would be appreciated,

Ben ARS w4qed

http://w4qed.hamshack.info <http://w4qed.hamshack.info%20> Pi-2

http://w4qed.hamshack.info:8008 Same PI-2