Re: Question

Marty Hartwell

HI all
I want to thank those that have responded and will continue to respond
to my question. I also went to
the yahoo groups web page for this group and am reading some of the
articles I found in the files folder there.

These should, and others I hope to find on line, keep me busy and I may
even get myself a PI to play with
shortly.

Marty kd8bj

On 12/01/2015 11:49 AM, David Ranch dranch@trinnet.net
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hello Marty,

I would recommend these two books:

Raspberry Pi User Guide : 2nd Edition -
http://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-User-Guide-Gareth-Halfacree/dp/111846446X
- This book includes interesting history on the development of the
Raspberry Pi, etc. This is the new revision that covers the new v2
Raspberry Pi

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi : Second Edition -
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920031628.do - This book has less
history but more technical content of understanding the hardware and
some recommended projects to start using the Rpi with

There are a *LOT* of books out there about the Rpi so these are just
examples. I'd recommend to browse around and find some books that you
PERSONALLY like. Please also understand that these aren't core Linux
books. Linux is a topic in itself and there are also a lot of good
books there too (some are free).

On 12/01/2015 09:16 AM, Marty Hartwell mhartwe@gmail.com
[Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] wrote:

Hi

I recently sent an email to the linux ham yahoo group asking if the OS
on a Raspberry PI
is a version of Linux, and now realize I should have sent it here
instead or too.
So is Raspian, if that is the correct name for the OS, a version of
Linux. A related question is
can a version of Linux be used on the Raspberry PI.

Is there a PDF file explaining the Raspberry PI or some of the things it
can be used for? I think
I want one to play with but being a ham I think it would be nice to use
it as a small foot print
dedicated to digital use so, I would want to be able to set it up to
build and operate Fldigi
and that suite of tools on it. I have seen reference to someone using
one for DSTAR but I
am not into that now.

Marty kd8bj