Sent: Sunday, May 10, 2015 9:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Re: multimeters with a USB interface linux?

Hi Alan
The article at linuxtoys.org suggests that it is ASCII data.  I seem to remember that my Chinese made cheap DMM with RS-232 also responded as ASCII strings when I looked at it as a 1200bd serial port (under windows) with my USB to RS-232 adapter.  A quick check on the RPi2 also had results using a terminal emulator and /dev//ttyUSB0.  Not gone further than that.
A good start might be to 'sniff' the serial data using original Windows software and see what the protocols are but that needs an older window machine if the software won't run on Win7
Dick G4BBH